Abbott to Charlton for £75k

must be true the rumours then

maybe he is going, i get the feeling PD does'nt really like him

we signed dean kelly up today as well - well deserved

To me they could have just picked up on that report, or even the OWTB discussion!

Or

We have held back till we suss out Feeney's injury, or see what happens with Eaves.

Edited by singe

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like one of those rumours that will turn out to be correct. I'll be very disappointed if we let Abbott go. Scoring 13 in that team last season was no mean feat. Yes, he finished the season with a run of poor performances but that's because he wasn't remotely fit to be playing in those games.

This seems like one of those rumours that will turn out to be correct. I'll be very disappointed if we let Abbott go. Scoring 13 in that team last season was no mean feat. Yes, he finished the season with a run of poor performances but that's because he wasn't remotely fit to be playing in those games.

And there is little point chasing down lost causes if you're not going to have a team-mate within 50 yards of you.

A big loss to the club. Almost certainly a wage bill cutting decision.

Yes but I think Dickov should be allowed to shape the team as he sees fit, if Abbott doesnt fit into that then so be it.

As has been mentioned on here, I don't think Pav is a bad player, far from it, and for much of last season we only seen semi fit Pav. But for a player who

- is approaching his 30's

- Has had two bad hernia's

- Probably one of the higher earners

- Seemingly isn't PD's type of player

I would take 75k in a shot and use the wage elsewhere.

Good bit of business by the club.

I think 75k is a good price if we replace him. Getting rid of high earners and not replacing them properly smacks of a sinking ship.

Maybe PD is thinking he is much better than Pav, and expects to take Pav's place.

Personally, I have not seen PD or Eaves play in pre-season due to my location. I rely on others on here to post their thoughts on them.

Do people think it is Feeney and Eaves/PD as the starting strikers, and would they be good enough?

You should know by now that the club is the last media outlet to announce anything thats actually to do with the club.

How long was it out that Dickov was our new manager before the club said anything.

If he does go ............. no real loss. 13 goals, should have been 40 the chances he fluffed.

The club announce it's official. The best way surely. Can only assume the Abbott deal hasn't been finalised but now with Ronnie spouting his mouth off at getting him for free it could now alert Charlton into thinking they're paying over the odds for him. It could kill the move off completely!

The club announce it's official. The best way surely. Can only assume the Abbott deal hasn't been finalised but now with Ronnie spouting his mouth off at getting him for free it could now alert Charlton into thinking they're paying over the odds for him. It could kill the move off completely!

Even we would not release him for free.

I would not take it too literally, lazt writing to say released.

If this was the pre-op Abbott we were talking about I would be angry. Angry and tired.

However, from what I've seen of him since the op and in particular, this pre-season, £75k is a very good amount for someone who came on a free.

I'm not one for the 'players should run around for 90 minutes like Warney' bandwagon, but after watching the forwards tenaciously close down Bolton in the 85th minute of a friendly match that was well and truly in the bag, I've got to say, Pav's a square Pole for a round hole.

May I just add, this must be a pretty appealing move for him too, so good luck to the lad.

Edited by JohnnyPimp

I'm not one for the 'players should run around for 90 minutes like Warney'

Maybe not, but Paul Dickov may disagree. Every manager will have their own type of player. Eg Brian Clough quickly moved on John Sheridan from Forest as Clough liked pass and move players, of which JS wasnt. That doesnt mean Sheridan is a bad player, far from it.

My point is that there is probably a similar situation here.

So we will have a strikeforce who in the past 18 months have scored 2 league goals between the 5 of them?!?

Forgot dickov.. How many from him in the last 18 months? Another 4 or 5?

Edited by pukka

Maybe not, but Paul Dickov may disagree. Every manager will have their own type of player.

My point is that there is probably a similar situation here.

I actually was heartened by the effort shown by the forwards against Bolton. It also prompted me to tell my brother that I couldn't see Pav getting back in the team if that was the effort expected 100% of the time by Dickov.

Let's face it, at this level if you don't have the best footballers in the division, a lot of effort can make a big difference and I'm all for that.

According to wiki - Abbott scored 13 goals in 38 games - 3 from the penalty spot according to soccerbase. Even though he was our top goalscorer he was relatively average and was one of the reasons why we nearly went down. Even Allott had a better record when he was first here and look at the stick he got! He looks like a footballer yet he never actually did enough to stake a claim to be one of our main strikers next season. If we get 75k then its a bonus and will be karma from the Joe Colbeck transfer. I wish him well if he leaves but I won't miss him.

According to wiki - Abbott scored 13 goals in 38 games - 3 from the penalty spot according to soccerbase. Even though he was our top goalscorer he was relatively average and was one of the reasons why we nearly went down. Even Allott had a better record when he was first here and look at the stick he got! He looks like a footballer yet he never actually did enough to stake a claim to be one of our main strikers next season. If we get 75k then its a bonus and will be karma from the Joe Colbeck transfer. I wish him well if he leaves but I won't miss him.

To be fair, Pav's game isn't purely about goalscoring. His hold up play and the way he brings others into the game is as godd as we've had for quite a while, to judge him purely on his goals return is unfair. If you get a striker with decent movement who can read his flicks alongside him then they would be a prolific partnership in this division. Having said that i don't think it's the end of the world if he leaves. He's likely one of the bigger earners and taking into account that getting a fee for him may give us more resilience to accepting bids for Eaves I can live with it. Definitely one of the few players to come out of last season with any credit and one of the reasons we stayed up. Without him holding the ball often completely isolated up front we'd have got stuffed in a number of games by being under constant pressure. Good luck Pav.

To be fair, Pav's game isn't purely about goalscoring. His hold up play and the way he brings others into the game is as godd as we've had for quite a while, to judge him purely on his goals return is unfair. If you get a striker with decent movement who can read his flicks alongside him then they would be a prolific partnership in this division. Having said that i don't think it's the end of the world if he leaves. He's likely one of the bigger earners and taking into account that getting a fee for him may give us more resilience to accepting bids for Eaves I can live with it. Definitely one of the few players to come out of last season with any credit and one of the reasons we stayed up. Without him holding the ball often completely isolated up front we'd have got stuffed in a number of games by being under constant pressure. Good luck Pav.

well said :wink:

i would put the money towards izale mcloed............cant believe hes not been snapped up yet...................

He has a terrible reputation with the charlton fans, they were delighted to see the back of him.

1 goal every 3 games is pretty good going and there's a lot more to his game than banging the ball in the net. You won't find many goalscorers who achieve the fabled 1 in 2 ratio. Don't forget that most of the assists for Keigan Parker's misses came from Abbott. To score 10 outfield goals last season, when half the side weren't allowed over the halfway line, is pretty good in my eyes.

He's leaving for one of two reasons:

1) Dickov has to cut the wage bill, and Abbott is a big earner.

or

2) Dickov's planned style of play doesn't fit with the kind of player Abbott is.

Abbott in behind the main goalscorer would be an exceptional player at this level. Unless Dickov is planning to play a defensive 4-5-1 formation I'm sure he could (and would) accommodate Abbott.

In other words, he's leaving because we want to save on the wage bill. The £75k will bridge some of the money missing from a 25% drop in season ticket sales.

Yes but I think Dickov should be allowed to shape the team as he sees fit, if Abbott doesnt fit into that then so be it.

As has been mentioned on here, I don't think Pav is a bad player, far from it, and for much of last season we only seen semi fit Pav. But for a player who

- is approaching his 30's

- Has had two bad hernia's

- Probably one of the higher earners

- Seemingly isn't PD's type of player

I would take 75k in a shot and use the wage elsewhere.

Good bit of business by the club.

Good for you. I wouldn't because we won't be able to replace him.

And "semi-fit" doesn't come close.