Dickov wants a PLAYER and he NEEDS Fans to Help.

I'm not questioning the Player Share scheme, I believe it's a much better prospect than it's previous incarnation. What I am questioning is how the transfer fees made on the three departures can simply be dismissed as being swallowed up by running costs when it has already been highly publicised that the budget for this year is already in place.

Maybe that money gets swallowed up for this season now and allows them to keep the club running for an extra season without investment?

I don't know the ins and outs of our finances but just because they budgeted for this season doesn't mean the club isn't still running at a huge loss. It probably means whoever is bank rolling us at present now doesn't have to put as much money into the club this season.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The player share is admirable and I've said once i'm back in work i'll be contributing. However, what people forget is that the club has made £445K in transfers this summer after the budget had been agreed, I know the Sunderland trainees are on peanuts so how can £400k+ be swallowed up in running costs when a budget had already been agreed. Do we need to buy a new calculator?

Of course the board will contribute to Dikaba's transfer if the fans show willing - there's £400k floating about!

There's a feel good factor around the club at the moment, what we need to be aware of is that we are not being shafted by stealth...there should be greater transparency. The club has not disclosed the fees but ask the right people and you get answers and Sky are way off with the Eaves fee.

We lost hundreds of thousands of pounds into a black hole in the summer of 2003 - we need assurances this is not happening again.

I agree wit the reassurances needed.

Some of that £445k will have been spent.

The budget may well have included losing those on the transfer list, that are still here

We owe Simon Corney £3m, so hopefully some of that has gone that way.

I'm not questioning the Player Share scheme, I believe it's a much better prospect than it's previous incarnation. What I am questioning is how the transfer fees made on the three departures can simply be dismissed as being swallowed up by running costs when it has already been highly publicised that the budget for this year is already in place.

Agree how can it be swallowed up by running costs when budget was set months ago - if true it is running costs maybe simon corney and barry owen could say how it is?

Or as i am hoping, it is in a reserve account sitting their earning some interest on it for the next year, and be included in next years budget so that is another season where we are financially secure without having to sell players.

Or it could be going into the Failsworth project or into re-paying Blitz and Gazal and to some extent Corney?

Assuming Dikaba, if he's that good he'll be picked up and we'll move on...

Didnt we reveal he had been offered trials by two championship teams if he didnt get a renewed contract here?

Edit; Dikaba is in the squad for tomorrow though

Edited by RobOAFC

Some good posts again on the subject.

Prozac raises important issues and I know if he could afford it at the present time he would contribute to the scheme. As I have said before nobody is to be judged on their financial circumstances and people must make their minds up as to whether they want to contribute or not. Having said that the succcess of the scheme depends on large numbers being involved. There is nothing sinister about Playershare and it is not driven by the club. It is a Trust initiative and something I looked into some years ago after seeing the effects at Bournemouth and Exeter.

I just want to touch on the issue raised by some about the finances of the club and the assumption that the incoming transfer fees are likely to make a lot of difference. They merely reduce our deficit over the season. People will remind me that it was made public that we had set our budget for the year and would work within it. We have, but it must be remembered that in the meantime Simon Blitz resigned and certain financial issues that he would have dealt with now need to be paid for by the club.

These are the times you realise what a good chairman we had and the finances he fielded from his own pocket. We now have to find some of that money.

I hope this clarifies this one issue once and for all. I am often criticised for painting a bleak picture about the future of the club. That is not the case. I am merely being truthful and realistic. I know we will survive but a lot of hard work will be undertaken to ensure this.

In the real world I do not believe I should have to appeal to fans to find money for schemes such as playershare and I am sometimes embarassed by doing so. Like other clubs it just seems that apart from paying for entry the true fans want to see the club survive and will help in whatever way they can.

Thanks to all who are positive and helping out.

Barry

I just want to touch on the issue raised by some about the finances of the club and the assumption that the incoming transfer fees are likely to make a lot of difference. They merely reduce our deficit over the season. People will remind me that it was made public that we had set our budget for the year and would work within it. We have, but it must be remembered that in the meantime Simon Blitz resigned and certain financial issues that he would have dealt with now need to be paid for by the club.

So the transfer fees recieved have been drawn into the category of 'running costs' then which Blitz used to cover?

Also out of interest, what will happen next season regarding the budget without further investment into the club?

Some good posts again on the subject.

Prozac raises important issues and I know if he could afford it at the present time he would contribute to the scheme. As I have said before nobody is to be judged on their financial circumstances and people must make their minds up as to whether they want to contribute or not. Having said that the succcess of the scheme depends on large numbers being involved. There is nothing sinister about Playershare and it is not driven by the club. It is a Trust initiative and something I looked into some years ago after seeing the effects at Bournemouth and Exeter.

These are the times you realise what a good chairman we had and the finances he fielded from his own pocket. We now have to find some of that money.

I hope this clarifies this one issue once and for all. I am often criticised for painting a bleak picture about the future of the club. That is not the case. I am merely being truthful and realistic. I know we will survive but a lot of hard work will be undertaken to ensure this.

In the real world I do not believe I should have to appeal to fans to find money for schemes such as playershare and I am sometimes embarassed by doing so. Like other clubs it just seems that apart from paying for entry the true fans want to see the club survive and will help in whatever way they can.

Thanks to all who are positive and helping out.

Barry

Fair enough, thanks for the reply Barry - are you able to disclose as to what the 'certain financial issues' (Outside of the agreed budget) are? And I thought it has been disclosed on more than occasion the budget had been set with the impending departure of Simon Blitz in mind???

Fair enough, thanks for the reply Barry - are you able to disclose as to what the 'certain financial issues' (Outside of the agreed budget) are? And I thought it has been disclosed on more than occasion the budget had been set with the impending departure of Simon Blitz in mind???

In fairness I think most of the expenditure was considered before Simon B. left but a whole range of expenses fall upon you as the weeks move on. Sometimes your wage bill fluctuates accordingly and players do not move on as you might expect. Whilst trying to provide the manager with a good team you also try and move people on which you know has been difficult.

Customs and excise matters are a hinderance but you have to pay the bills. Some clubs let them mount up to a ridiculous level.

That is not happening so much these days becuase the authorities are tightening up with football and rightly so.

As you might imagine it would not be proper for me to reveal the finances that Simon B. involved himself with but suffice to say things are a lot harder when cash flow springs to mind.

You also try to budget for your gate receipts which again fluctuate.

Barry

In fairness I think most of the expenditure was considered before Simon B. left but a whole range of expenses fall upon you as the weeks move on. Sometimes your wage bill fluctuates accordingly and players do not move on as you might expect. Whilst trying to provide the manager with a good team you also try and move people on which you know has been difficult.

Customs and excise matters are a hinderance but you have to pay the bills. Some clubs let them mount up to a ridiculous level.

That is not happening so much these days becuase the authorities are tightening up with football and rightly so.

As you might imagine it would not be proper for me to reveal the finances that Simon B. involved himself with but suffice to say things are a lot harder when cash flow springs to mind.

Barry

So thats season ticket sales + 'x' amount of fans paying on the gate? which am guessing with ST sales around 2,000 mark the club is expecting around an extra 2,000 on the gate?

So thats season ticket sales + 'x' amount of fans paying on the gate? which am guessing with ST sales around 2,000 mark the club is expecting around an extra 2,000 on the gate?

Which so far there's been an average of 2,500 (roughly) pay on the dayers, so if 2,000 payees are being budgeted for, so far that's been exceeded. No doubt that will come down with Brizzle and Bournemouth at home this month...

Which so far there's been an average of 2,500 (roughly) pay on the dayers, so if 2,000 payees are being budgeted for, so far that's been exceeded. No doubt that will come down with Brizzle and Bournemouth at home this month...

Used 2000 as a rough estimate as unless we are playing consisently well and winning i doubt we'll get 3,000+

Hopefully the figures will rise with good football and a few wins to help boost the clubs coffers..

Good attractive attacking football this season will help bring back people who were unwilling to get a season, for next season, will lead to a bigger budget for hopefully PD (only 12 month rolling contract) hopefully a good run in the f.a cup will go towards these running costs that appear without having to reduce a budget..

That is difficult to say, we have asked for £1 a week, but many have committed to £5 a month or more.

If we had 200 fans paying £2.50 a week / £10 a month, that would pay for this player.

Surely you must know this to be able to commit to the contract?

You've had a number of one off pledges for the first year. You then have a number standing orders set up. If this guy signs more than a 1 year contract and the majority of your £26k is one off payments, you're going to be in trouble next year. Surely working out what your annual pledge so far is is simple maths!!!!

Unfortunately there are a rare few who have advocated strongly against this scheme in an effort to put people off, who do not fit into either category. Strangely these are the same people who thought it their right to avail themselves of complimentary tickets or believe they have a right to free entry home or away. Their beliefs in this respect are an insult to the paying supporter and those who help this effort.

Hi Barry

Since becoming a "Director" of the club, how many games have you entered free of charge both home and away? How many away games have you gained free travel to? As a result of this comment, I assume, in order to rectify your insult, you are going to pay the requisite charges to said football clubs and reimburse Oldham Athletic FC (2004) Ltd for any match tickets, meals and travel costs?

I am sure Simon Corney, amongst other football clubs, is looking forward to your cheque.

Edited by latic12345

Corney and the like have been ploughing millions into the club for the last seven years and continue to do so week after week just to keep the club going

Let us explore this one for a second.

The outlay for the company was bugger all. They paid £2.5m for land. Since, the club has lost an average of approximately £500k per year before transfer fees received (e.g. in the yr we sold Trotman, they were quite open this meant we more than broke even). Over 7 years this is £3.5m. Therefore, based on this logic, they have paid c.£6m into the club.

What transfer fees have we received in this time. Most of which are undisclosed, but I understand the chunky ones to be

Trotman £500k

Eaves £375k

Eardley £350k

Are there any others? This totals £1.225m. This leaves their outstanding contribution at £4.775m. Whilst not an insubstantial amount of money it is by way of loan. Does anyone know how much Brassbank has sold the land behind the Chaddy for? How much is the rest of the land for sale for?

I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am still firmly of the belief this investment will pay off for Messrs Blitz, Corney and Gazal. They perhaps got to the point this summer where the investment was becoming questionable hence they stopped giving out loans. The football side definitely will not pay off. Time to make the business investment work.

Just a thought...

Edited by latic12345

Sometimes your wage bill fluctuates accordingly and players do not move on as you might expect. Whilst trying to provide the manager with a good team you also try and move people on which you know has been difficult.

Sorry for the number of posts in a row. Catching up after a long week.

So what you are saying is that planning is difficult. Forecasting is difficult. However, rather than improving your planning and or budgeting for a less than best case scenario, the answer is to ask more of your customers?

I'm sorry but how many times have you walked into a shop and bought a pair of trousers in Winter only for them to ring you in the Summer and say, sorry the price of cotton has gone up. Can you please buy us some cotton to help make more trousers and please come back and buy new trousers when they are in the shop?

Contributing to the club. Investing in the club through the youth system, yes. Paying for a player who could be here for a few weeks and then disappear. No ta.

Edited by latic12345

Surely you must know this to be able to commit to the contract?

You've had a number of one off pledges for the first year. You then have a number standing orders set up. If this guy signs more than a 1 year contract and the majority of your £26k is one off payments, you're going to be in trouble next year. Surely working out what your annual pledge so far is is simple maths!!!!

This is not the case alex, until we get the statements through we dont know the committment value of the pledge you mention.

Once we get two months statements, we will be able to ascertain what the potential is.

Our main aim is to provide funds, Trust Oldham would only guarantee funds that are committed rather than speculative, that way the club is not put in any financial position it can not manage.

Sorry for the number of posts in a row. Catching up after a long week.

So what you are saying is that planning is difficult. Forecasting is difficult. However, rather than improving your planning and or budgeting for a less than best case scenario, the answer is to ask more of your customers?

I'm sorry but how many times have you walked into a shop and bought a pair of trousers in Winter only for them to ring you in the Summer and say, sorry the price of cotton has gone up. Can you please buy us some cotton to help make more trousers and please come back and buy new trousers when they are in the shop?

Contributing to the club. Investing in the club through the youth system, yes. Paying for a player who could be here for a few weeks and then disappear. No ta.

Cotton ? :huh:

A club is not run on one particular factor, multifaceted values of business such as football mean changes occur daily, Arson, player injury, owners leaving.

No Capital expense or budget cant be projected in the above cases.

Forcasting with Oldham Fans is more difficult to determine than explaining the equation to Roberto Carlos 1998 World Cup free kick

Hi Barry

Since becoming a "Director" of the club, how many games have you entered free of charge both home and away? How many away games have you gained free travel to? As a result of this comment, I assume, in order to rectify your insult, you are going to pay the requisite charges to said football clubs and reimburse Oldham Athletic FC (2004) Ltd for any match tickets, meals and travel costs?

I am sure Simon Corney, amongst other football clubs, is looking forward to your cheque.

Let me try to answer this one for you. No FREE travel as been allocated to Barry to ANY game since his position of Director as been given, unlike EVERY other directors position.

Home games are 'worked' due to the position given - welcoming opposition board members and staff and other duties means a Season tickets isnt purchased, although a ST is bought for other family members.

As for insult ? That comment is strong without full facts being known

This is not the case alex, until we get the statements through we dont know the committment value of the pledge you mention.

Once we get two months statements, we will be able to ascertain what the potential is.

Our main aim is to provide funds, Trust Oldham would only guarantee funds that are committed rather than speculative, that way the club is not put in any financial position it can not manage.

Cotton ? :huh:

A club is not run on one particular factor, multifaceted values of business such as football mean changes occur daily, Arson, player injury, owners leaving.

No Capital expense or budget cant be projected in the above cases.

Forcasting with Oldham Fans is more difficult to determine than explaining the equation to Roberto Carlos 1998 World Cup free kick

Let me try to answer this one for you. No FREE travel as been allocated to Barry to ANY game since his position of Director as been given, unlike EVERY other directors position.

Home games are 'worked' due to the position given - welcoming opposition board members and staff and other duties means a Season tickets isnt purchased, although a ST is bought for other family members.

As for insult ? That comment is strong without full facts being known

Ive just started my standing order, so has my partner Hales, who isnt even an Oldham fan!!!!!!!!!!

Let us explore this one for a second.

The outlay for the company was bugger all. They paid £2.5m for land. Since, the club has lost an average of approximately £500k per year before transfer fees received (e.g. in the yr we sold Trotman, they were quite open this meant we more than broke even). Over 7 years this is £3.5m. Therefore, based on this logic, they have paid c.£6m into the club.

What transfer fees have we received in this time. Most of which are undisclosed, but I understand the chunky ones to be

Trotman £500k

Eaves £375k

Eardley £350k

Are there any others? This totals £1.225m. This leaves their outstanding contribution at £4.775m. Whilst not an insubstantial amount of money it is by way of loan. Does anyone know how much Brassbank has sold the land behind the Chaddy for? How much is the rest of the land for sale for?

I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am still firmly of the belief this investment will pay off for Messrs Blitz, Corney and Gazal. They perhaps got to the point this summer where the investment was becoming questionable hence they stopped giving out loans. The football side definitely will not pay off. Time to make the business investment work.

Just a thought...

Added to the transfer fees there's been full houses (10k +)

v City, Bolton, Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield etc...(ok cup money is split 3 ways but its still all cash revenue) Not forgetting the bumper pay-cheque v Everton yet we still sold Trotman.

Cup run money in 04/05, 06/07 and 07/08

Tv Money from live games at home to Spurs, Bolton, Blackpool, Leeds,

TV money from Away games at Chasetown, Brentford, Kings Lynn, Blackpool,

Highlights money from the City and Everton games

Live cup games are £100k+

Live league games vary normally about £70k