goal drought?

I have a concern,Where are our goals going to come from?

Our leading goalscorers are midfielders and both goals for each where outside the penalty box.

I believe we have only scored one inside the penalty box from Toukare (yes I know I can't spell his name) Notts County game

Can't say I am impressed with Feeney and tonight's game highlighted again that we have not got a clue/run out of ideas when we get near the opps penalty box.

We can certainly get the ball up to this point then "doh" mentality hits especially when we come up against a line of defenders.

Are we missing a big up front point man?

Thoughts please

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our leading goalscorers are midfielders and both goals for each where outside the penalty box.

I believe we have only scored one inside the penalty box from Toukare (yes I know I can't spell his name) Notts County game

Can't say I am impressed with Feeney and tonight's game highlighted again that we have not got a clue/run out of ideas when we get near the opps penalty box.

We can certainly get the ball up to this point then "doh" mentality hits especially when we come up against a line of defenders.

Thoughts please

No genuine goalscorers = few goals = last season all over again.

Thoughts please

Early in Shez's first season we had exactly the same problem. The solution? Chris Porter returning from injury - an out and out goalscorer. Unfortunately we haven't got one anymore and haven't had since the scumbag moved on to Notts County. A classic legacy of TTA's tenure, once players leave we replace them with the economy brand.

Early in Shez's first season we had exactly the same problem. The solution? Chris Porter returning from injury - an out and out goalscorer. Unfortunately we haven't got one anymore and haven't had since the scumbag moved on to Notts County. A classic legacy of TTA's tenure, once players leave we replace them with the economy brand.

Porter returning from injury - Brooke returning from injury....?

You know what Rob? You may be onto something there. Shame we're unlikely to see him before Christmas..

still plenty of time to bang in the goals, like Hughes had something like 15 until january...

hopefully with Brooke being quite young he will be able to recover quicker...

Porter returning from injury - Brooke returning from injury....?

He looked good in pre season and seemed to have toughened up over the summer. Infact up untill Eaves' performance against Bolton I would of said Brooke looked twice the player Tom was.

No genuine goalscorers = few goals = last season all over again.

I had the same flashback too. Some nice pretty football, some nice switch over to wingers then nowt.

Oh how I would love to see Chrissy Taylor actually sprinting down the flank to the goal line and whipping one in there - just once this season please Chris - do something that is not predicatable and make my season - surprise me for chuffs sake.

Thoughts please

prob seems like im being a smart arse and i probabbly am but kieran lee scored inside the box aswel in the same game. put the smart arse bit to one side and it actually highlights the problem even more. ye fair enough good to see our right back willing to get forward and make a run but shouldnt a striker have been in that position?

He looked good in pre season and seemed to have toughened up over the summer. Infact up untill Eaves' performance against Bolton I would of said Brooke looked twice the player Tom was.

My thoughts exactly. Thought he was going to be one of the first names on the team sheet imo better than Eaves.

Lets hope he is back up and running soon

prob seems like im being a smart arse and i probabbly am but kieran lee scored inside the box aswel in the same game. put the smart arse bit to one side and it actually highlights the problem even more. ye fair enough good to see our right back willing to get forward and make a run but shouldnt a striker have been in that position?

Bembo was in the box v Scunny too.. :grin:

was a striker who provided the assist for the goal.. not bothered whos in the box scoring the goals aslong as we are scoring..

but we do need to get more crosses into the box from wingers as we always look for the long range shot or just to play it behind the defence..

No I think your right Mr Smart arse... :grin: I was at the opp end didn't see the smash as it was that fast.

And yes nice to see we can score from other positions but the main one - we are lacking

was a striker who provided the assist for the goal.. not bothered whos in the box scoring the goals aslong as we are scoring..

but we do need to get more crosses into the box from wingers as we always look for the long range shot or just to play it behind the defence..

We got plenty of crosses into the box tonight, but there was never anyone in the box attacking the ball.

Also, the strikers always looked to be playing the ball back when they got it, and they weren't very direct and didn't look a goal threat at all (which was also a problem on Saturday.)

Thoughts please

First conversation we had about the side, when we 1st met in the Clipper...

My post from August 10th...

EXACTLY!!! Where are the goals coming from other than Stephens?

Brooke - out

Lewis - playing wide, not prolific at all, will chip in with a few

Feeney - not fit yet and shown little in terms of scoring in the games I've seen, has massive expectation on his shoulders

Eaves - going

Kelly - Amateur from Ireland...could be as good as me, could be the next big thing...nobody has a clue

Tounkare - Until he's fit and scored a few...who?

Dickov - not fit, now injured with it, won't be used unless we're really short

Taylor - Possibly, but only when fit and heads up

Jones - Not seen anything I like about the guy yet, but early days (Since this comment, Jones has improved IMO. Thought he was one of the better players vs Yeovil)

Furman - Depends how often he pulls his arse forward of the centre circle

Stephens - The only true source of goals and assists in my eyes

Smalley - Again, may get a few if he gets in (Scrap that...his head is up his arse and needs moving on now. Has Wolfenden syndrome)

Purdie - I've a sneaky feeling he'll make his way into the side somehow and chip in with a goal or two...but not the amount we need

Bembo Leta - Not seen enough of the lad but looked utterly lightweight in the friendly he played in...infact, he made Smalley, Lewis and Stephens look like Arnie, Sly and Willis he got the ball taken off him that easily. Not the answer...

I just hope Dickov can get them "thinking goals" as Royle once put it....otherwise, Beagrie will be spot on (again).

Edited by boundaryblue80

Beckett scored 17 from Boxing Day in 05/06...

Both Hughes and Beckett were of tougher mentality though than a kid coming into what by then, could be a tough situation. Under past managers (ala Ritchie) these kids would come in and struggle. Confidence would be a real issue. Will test Dickov and Brookes ability to the max...if he swims...he'll be off to a bigger pond very quickly (with an undisclosed fee going into a black hole) and we'll be back at it again.

Feeney hopefully has more to show and can be this older head needed. Lots of hope in that statement of mine though...

I had the same flashback too. Some nice pretty football, some nice switch over to wingers then nowt.

Oh how I would love to see Chrissy Taylor actually sprinting down the flank to the goal line and whipping one in there - just once this season please Chris - do something that is not predicatable and make my season - surprise me for chuffs sake.

But every team doubles up on him...that's where someone else has to come in and help him out. Not one person did tonight. Personally, I still don't see him as a LW (he's a RW) but as a mate said tonight, now they're doubling on him, maybe he needs playing upfront like when he came on vs Scunny and have him running at centre backs instead.

Edited by boundaryblue80