goal drought?

But every team doubles up on him...that's where someone else has to come in and help him out. Not one person did tonight. Personally, I still don't see him as a LW (he's a RW) but as a mate said tonight, now they're doubling on him, maybe he needs playing upfront like when he came on vs Scunny and have him running at centre backs instead.

Are people really doubling up on Chris Taylor or is the the fact that he can't beat a man and ends up caught in possession? All this about him having to go on the RW is rubbish also. He tore up trees in his first season on the left wing so why should it be different now? His game has hit a plateau and he is currently heading backwards.

As for where the goals will come from this is a worry. I really thought that PD would address this but the last 2 games have been a case of the same old story although not cause for panic. There were a few cases last night where players just weren't making the right runs or taking the appropriate gamles in the box. This is where an older head in the shape of a Feeney or a Dickov could be invaluable although personally I would like to see the gaffer take as much of a back seat as possible, I think that it might be panic stations should he feel the need to start naming himself in the side. Perfect example last night was an absolute peach of a cross put in by Lee and nobody was anywhere near - it was just crying out for a far post gamble. Taylor managed to add this element to his game under Shez but thosew days seem to be a way off

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think your right Mr Smart arse... :grin: I was at the opp end didn't see the smash as it was that fast.

And yes nice to see we can score from other positions but the main one - we are lacking

I like the look of Kelly - he's looked useful whenever he's played. Last night he had zero service.

Is he a goalscorer though?

Yes your right..you did....that's me told off..... :wink:

we dont want to end up in a situation come christmas when brooke is back thats its backs against the wall,because no matter how good he has been or looks it isnt the right scenario to play relatively pressure free...

im hoping once the loan market opens up that there is room for manouvre to bring in someone of decent quality to help out.

feeney isnt quite fit there and has admitted himself it takes about 8-10 games to get going,not good if he constantly goes on int duty.

bembo is still learning as is kelly,so only leaves the tank.....time for dicko to utilise some of these excellent contacts i think to either get rid of the deadwood to free wages up,or bite the bullet and get someone decent in...

The goal-scoring issue is a worry – remember there was a thread on the topic a while ago; where people were trying to realistically predict where the goals would come from this season.

Some of my predictions IIRC have already gone t&ts up; I had Furman not scoring at all based on what went before last season and I had Brooke as the 1st choice striker based on pre-season form & had him down for 10+; obviously with his bad injury that will now be unlikely.

For me; whilst the approach play is nice & neat – we simply need to take more chances. We need people to shoot when in range; instead of trying to work it through the smallest of gaps a la last night. There were numerous occasions last night where the ball got in & around the edge of the area; only to come to nothing as we over-played it; trying to almost walk it in. Taylor could have shot on 2 occasions where he chose not to; Bembo once and Dale on a couple too. Big Oumare showed his intentions when he came on; he’s not shot shy; others should follow his example.

The other point is crosses – we had minimal from either flank last night; and those that did come in were from deep from the full-backs; Black & Lee; and tended to be the looped type. We need our wide players; last night the flying wingers of Smalley & Taylor to reach the by-line and whip some balls over. Coupled with that; we need the 2 strikers to take some gambles and 1 try to get to the near post and the other aim for the mid to far post area.

Kelly & Bembo look like really prospects. Both appear to have what is usually called a ‘footballing brain’ – they’re nice & neat; have assured touches and turn sharply. Both have good movement too. However; at present; neither look a goal threat.

We really need Feeney to come and get games for us (no offence to our friends from over the pond but; sod N.I internationals); he needs a run of games for us; to get some match sharpness back and to start getting in amongst the goals. His experience up there will be invaluable in a side packed out with prospects & young unproven talent.

Are people really doubling up on Chris Taylor or is the the fact that he can't beat a man and ends up caught in possession? All this about him having to go on the RW is rubbish also. He tore up trees in his first season on the left wing so why should it be different now? His game has hit a plateau and he is currently heading backwards.

Yes...they REALLY are doubling up. Anytime Taylor got the ball last night, 2 lads were right on him every time. When he wasn't getting this attention, he was ripping "up trees in his first season on the left wing"...now all he wants to do is cut inside of the left wing and shoot with his right. But more often than not, he's running into a CB standing in his way then.

He may get doubled up on the right too if he went there, but he's right footed and has more chance of beating a man there than on the left. And with Lee over-lapping, them two could give us the strongest right flank we've had in years. Or as I mentioned, stick him in the middle...have him driving defences back. He's not bad at heading either so he may nod in other peoples crosses.

I like the look of Kelly - he's looked useful whenever he's played. Last night he had zero service.

Is he a goalscorer though?

Kelly needs a big lad next to him. Was gutted to see him go off when Tounkare came on...DJ isn't the partner to be sticking with Kelly and felt our only hope of nicking a goal (with others being subdued) went with that sub last night.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Yes...they REALLY are doubling up. Anytime Taylor got the ball last night, 2 lads were right on him every time. When he wasn't getting this attention, he was ripping "up trees in his first season on the left wing"...now all he wants to do is cut inside of the left wing and shoot with his right. But more often than not, he's running into a CB standing in his way then.

He may get doubled up on the right too if he went there, but he's right footed and has more chance of beating a man there than on the left. And with Lee over-lapping, them two could give us the strongest right flank we've had in years. Or as I mentioned, stick him in the middle...have him driving defences back. He's not bad at heading either so he may nod in other peoples crosses.

from what i have seen of taylors recent games...its not doubling up at all,he is very hesitant to go past someone to the byline and fire it in,he either turns back and passes back or cuts in and passes...

your right his first proper season he didnt care about anything except getting down the touchline and firing it in...his reluctance at present is making him look soft and not wanting to get tackled....he has the pace and he has the prowess,so what if he gets clobbered 3 or 4 times in a game....he will win free kicks in dangerous positions....he just doesnt seem bothered about it,and thats whats got a lot of peoples goat....its just an observation.

Mods, please ban him.

:grin: .................................................................TOUNKAREEEEE!!!!!

Back on the subject give the new lads time to bed in for chuffinells sake! At least 15 games!!!! Some of you would moan if Berbatov was in the side!

Edited by ShakerT

:grin: .................................................................TOUNKAREEEEE!!!!!

Back on the subject give the new lads time to bed in for chuffinells sake! At least 15 games!!!! Some of you would moan if Berbatov was in the side!

New lads have plenty of time...it's the ones (or for me, the one) who's been here a long time and let us down that's the concern...for me, one inparticular who got his chance last season, didn't take it and is doing nothing about it this season.

I think another problem we have is that our build up has seemed very laboured in the last couple of games.

We need to move the ball forward faster and not sideways and backwards so often, try to get someone playing on the shoulder of the last defender and slip them in.

The shrewsbury and yeovil defences had time to set themselves and we all saw how hard it was to break them down.

I think another problem we have is that our build up has seemed very laboured in the last couple of games.

We need to move the ball forward faster and not sideways and backwards so often, try to get someone playing on the shoulder of the last defender and slip them in.

The shrewsbury and yeovil defences had time to set themselves and we all saw how hard it was to break them down.

And you can bet Bristol Rovers will be no different.

And you can bet Bristol Rovers will be no different.

bristol rovers have had a :censored: start to the season,got hammered 4-0 by the saints last weekend...sold there striker to a scottish team....so it goes without saying that on saturday....we will draw or lose...there is optimism for you,lol

Last night would have been a great chance to play Taylor on the right wing, maybe have stuck jacobsen on the left wing.

Taylor might be useful playing just behind the striker and having a free role, therefore allowing him to flit across the pitch and being hard to pick up.

From what I got from the game last night was only DJ was trying to get in and behind the defence. Nobody tried to shift their defence, which suits them just fine.

Smalley ran all over the place and didn't have a clue what was going on. Unfortunately, I don't think he has a future at the club, which is a real shame because I like his hard-working attitude. Taylor's wasted on the left. Got himself into some great crossing positions, then realised he was on his left foot. Kelly looked poor. That Tounkare fella looked decent when he came on, which allowed DJ to get behind them.

Needs work obviously, but I don't begrudge them that. New style, new side in parts. We need to learn to not overdo or underdo the passing, and release the shot when it's actually possible (some of our fans though Taylor could get a shot away with three of their lads infront of him, and when he couldn't, because he seemed to be trying, he was called useless) and move about a bit more.

I think we'll be fine once we start to click for the full ninety minutes.

In answer to the original question A player who is still to be named on loan from a club higher up the league than us, I'd be looking at Arsenal's league cup side (especially as the Spurs are likely to knock them out). I'd agree with what Lee Sinnott said, Penney was lambasted for not bringing in another striker, yet Dickov hasn't really bought in a goal scorer and let our top goal scorer by 10 goals last season go to a club in the same division for tuppance.

Brooke, could have got into double figures this season comfortably but after his long-term injury he'd be lucky to get more than 5. Tounkara is probably going to be our top scorer this season but I can't see him getting that many. Feeney will push him close, the rest will have to chip in with a few, we will score more goals this season (or at least if we don't we are going down).

I'd agree with what Lee Sinnott said, Penney was lambasted for not bringing in another striker, yet Dickov hasn't really bought in a goal scorer and let our top goal scorer by 10 goals last season go to a club in the same division for tuppance.

Brooke, could have got into double figures this season comfortably

Spot on about Abbott etc. And not just the top scorer, but someone who can make the ball stick and bring others into the game. Lost two key abilities from a forward...could prove crucial (leaving some on here with egg all over their faces...)

As for double figures for Brooke, we don't know that at all...he could be the next Ryan Sugden...he's got raw ability but again, under pressure, loss of form, winter and injuries hitting the team, Brooke could wither and be the next Smalley. I don't understand this pinning of hopes on the kid. It's Feeney that's meant to be the spearhead...he'll have been the top earner coming in and has a lot to prove. Early days for him.

Spot on about Abbott etc. And not just the top scorer, but someone who can make the ball stick and bring others into the game. Lost two key abilities from a forward...could prove crucial (leaving some on here with egg all over their faces...)

As for double figures for Brooke, we don't know that at all...he could be the next Ryan Sugden...he's got raw ability but again, under pressure, loss of form, winter and injuries hitting the team, Brooke could wither and be the next Smalley. I don't understand this pinning of hopes on the kid. It's Feeney that's meant to be the spearhead...he'll have been the top earner coming in and has a lot to prove. Early days for him.

totally agree..not fair on the youngster at all to think he can come back after injury then hit the ground running and fire us into midtable safely,huge burden to shoulder for such a youngster,when what he really needs is an older experienced partner to play off and play without fear or pressure...

feeney so far hasnt impressed one bit,but its early doors....

have to see if there is anyscope to bring in a loan striker next week...if feeney gets injured and all we have is whats there now,then it isnt going to be long before we drop like the proverbial and have another battle.

In answer to the original question A player who is still to be named on loan from a club higher up the league than us, I'd be looking at Arsenal's league cup side (especially as the Spurs are likely to knock them out). I'd agree with what Lee Sinnott said, Penney was lambasted for not bringing in another striker, yet Dickov hasn't really bought in a goal scorer and let our top goal scorer by 10 goals last season go to a club in the same division for tuppance.

Brooke, could have got into double figures this season comfortably but after his long-term injury he'd be lucky to get more than 5. Tounkara is probably going to be our top scorer this season but I can't see him getting that many. Feeney will push him close, the rest will have to chip in with a few, we will score more goals this season (or at least if we don't we are going down).

Roque Santa Cruz is at a loose end...