Daft Things That Make Your Blood Boil!

steveoafc

Jesus.

I take it since you are daring to take our saviour's name in vein, that bigotry against other minority groups is less repugnant for you than bigotry against Black People?

Each to their own I guess.

It's all equally idiotic to me.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the Equality Act 2006 it is illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of sexual orientation. In this instance their guesthouse/B&B is a registered business and must operate under the guidelines and laws of state and office, the proprietor(s) cannot pick and mix the laws which they want or do not want to observe.

And rightly so in this day and age.....but that does not answer my question!!!

It answers your question perfectly to my satisfaction. It's illegal to stick up a sign saying no gays - illegal and wrong.

My question has never mentioned racism or sexuality!!! You are trying to engineer the question to suit your argument. For the avoidance of doubt, I agree entirely with the workings of the aforementioned law but it will still take a long time and a lot of aggravation before we get to an end of these stories.

But, God loves a trier, so I will come back for another go.....

You and Mrs. T are coming up to Olney to visit.......there are 3 guesthouses, none are on your website......would you:

1) take a chance on getting the one run by a Basil Fawlty type?

2) ask me which I would recommend?

No side issues here, please.

Edited by mikejh45

The argument isn't about whether or not their Guesthouse has great cuisine, in which case yes; I'd rather know which has the better facilities. I understand the argument to be more of: Is it not better to avoid the confrontation and save the embarrasment of publicity?

To which the answer is no, that is why we have laws to try to make sure that anyone can walk into any establishment and get treated exactly the same as everybody else.

Thank you, you've answered the question. You would ask friends.

In a Utopian society, we would hope that all establishments abide the law but that ain't going to happen. Self-regulation, as we appear to have now isn't working so confrontations like this instance will happen again.

But to go back further.....bearing in mind the demands of the police in the future, how high a priority would you make instances like this?

My question has never mentioned racism or sexuality!!! You are trying to engineer the question to suit your argument. For the avoidance of doubt, I agree entirely with the workings of the aforementioned law but it will still take a long time and a lot of aggravation before we get to an end of these stories.

But, God loves a trier, so I will come back for another go.....

You and Mrs. T are coming up to Olney to visit.......there are 3 guesthouses, none are on your website......would you:

1) take a chance on getting the one run by a Basil Fawlty type?

2) ask me which I would recommend?

No side issues here, please.

I wouldn't expect my friends to know what the guest houses in their area were like, surely my friends would stay at their own house rather than checking out the local alternatives? I have no idea what any of the hotels in my local area are like, I've never stayed there so if anyone was to ask me about where to stay I wouldn't be able to help them.

I wouldn't expect my friends to know what the guest houses in their area were like, surely my friends would stay at their own house rather than checking out the local alternatives? I have no idea what any of the hotels in my local area are like, I've never stayed there so if anyone was to ask me about where to stay I wouldn't be able to help them.

Assuming of course that your friends don't want one they can rent by the hour?

Thank you, you've answered the question. You would ask friends.

Like I already pointed out to you last night, I fail to see what this friend asking question of yours has to do with anything. Why would friends have much of any knowledge of the local B&Bs?

In a Utopian society, we would hope that all establishments abide the law but that ain't going to happen. Self-regulation, as we appear to have now isn't working so confrontations like this instance will happen again.

Not sure that we do have self regulation here. What we have is an selectively oppressive society with a BS law that demands that private business owners must not beable to pick and choose who they can do business with. This is anything but self regulation.

But to go back further.....bearing in mind the demands of the police in the future, how high a priority would you make instances like this?

It shouldn't even be a police issue (much the same as any other BS law, such as drug use laws). Given the fact that the legitimate misdemeanor as I see it in this case is that the B&B owners hadn't pre warned the couple of their policy before agreeing to do business with them, I would have thought this would come under some other governing body such as trading standards.

Assuming of course that your friends don't want one they can rent by the hour?

That's an interesting point. It would probably be easier to find information about hotels that do rent by the hour than those that charge per night, there are sites on the net that give information about such places of lax morals.

There are also sites that rate hotels/ guest houses & B&Bs, most of these will either be of the "The decor and breakfast were lovely, best night's sleep of my life" or "the bathroom was filthy and food awful" variety. The reviews that said "the religious views of the owners are somewhat contrary to my lifestyle, if you are good with colours or in comfortable shoes, avoid this place like the plague." are rather thin on the ground.

What struck me most about that whole incident (pardon the pun) was that in a time of financial meltdown, how any small business owner thought it was a good idea to be turning custom away was amazing. I'm surprised they didn't take the booking, let them stay but make them feel really uncomfortable in a passive aggressive manner, that's the British way.

Come on........you ask friends where to stay....end of!!! You want to know that you are staying in some place clean and not liable to be a home for fleas.

Or do you NEVER ask friends and just take a chance?

I've come to this very late so I apologise if this was addressed - but I don't know any friends who could tell me about the bigotry of a hotel!

My friends could say "X place is nice, clean, polite" but unless they also happened to be gay (gays are allowed straight friends) then how would they know!?

This couple are so far in the wrong it sickens me.

No we're not. Not until the good folk of Olney stop trying to inch racism back into fashion.

I'll have you know we are a very cosmopolitan little town..........bit sleepy mind. No burning crosses here, no police either except for a purge twice a year on drivers not wearing seatbelts.

I've come to this very late so I apologise if this was addressed - but I don't know any friends who could tell me about the bigotry of a hotel!

My friends could say "X place is nice, clean, polite" but unless they also happened to be gay (gays are allowed straight friends) then how would they know!?

Larry late comer!

That exact point had been thoroughly examined and answered in the charming reply just before your entry in to the latest post of the year competition.

Some of my best friends are gay...

Some of my best friends are gay...

I have gay friends/ex neighbours as well and when considering booking somewhere new, they ask bluntly if the establishment is "gay-friendly". If it isn't, I believe they have reported the hostelry to the local authority.

Ex-neighbours? Do they make the gays move out of Olney then? That isn't cosmopolitan. And neither is the fact that the nearest Chinese takeaway is in Newport Pagnell.

You are in an impish mood, Tulsehill, old boy!!! I moved across town after splitting from my partner (she couldn't cope with the Latics bit). But you must learn to get your facts right before making statements..............we have a Chinese takeaway AND an excellent Chinese restaurant........!!!