Experienced pair reject Gateshead

“Players, and some managers in the Football League don’t seem to realise how strong the Blue Square Bet Premier is.

“We host Luton Town on Saturday and they have graced the top flight of English football, and our last game was against a club who not long ago were in the Championship in Grimsby Town."

Like this makes any difference? The players that played for Luton when they were in the top flight are in their 50's now! They aren't there anymore!!!!!! Good grief.........

Presuming its players who can not get into our first team, they would rather sit in the reserves and rot then play in the conference?

Remember when Shez was trying to get players in on loan from the Championship? He said at the time that some would rather be in the ressies and pick their wages up than drop a league to play first team football.

"I'm a *Championship / League One* player and I earn loads of dosh" is obviously, to some players, preferable to "Bloody Hell, I can't beieve I only play for *Oldham / Gateshead*"

*Delete or amend as appropriate

Might go some way to explain why they're in the stiffs in the first place.

Probably thinks he's better than conference level aswell. Probably is, maybe league 2 level? but i dont think he's good enough for us!

Not impressed with this, so they'd rather rot and sit out their contracts? Beggars belief, when they turn down the chance of regular first-team football. The Conference is easily league 2 standards and that's where most of Penney's signings belong. I don't think many league clubs will be interested in players of the ilk of Lomax and Worthington and Purdie's got a lot to prove, he's been unlucky with injuries but together with Jacobson and Worthington have cost the club a lot of money over the last 14 months and I bet they've not 30 appearances between them. The least they could do is put themselves in the shop window. (If it is indeed them and i'm sure it is unless Gateshead have made cheeky bids for Stephens and Lee!)

If it was up to me I'd be looking to sort out a pay-off deal asap, but one that's beneficial to the club - clubs have more power than they think. The surplus of foreign players has meant there is now a wealth of talent unable to find clubs. If players suddenly got a reputation for being difficult 'sicknotes' they'd find it even harder to find another club. So i'd offer them their rock-bottom basic (as a lump sum) until Christmas and release them in time for the window. They're out of contract anyway come the end of May so to turn loan moves down is very silly imo.

Everything that is wrong with football, mercenaries in the lower leagues FFS! I would have sacked Worthington on the spot for bringing the club into disrepute over 'SaraUSAgate' anyway.

Whether these two think they're better than the Conference, FL clubs are hardly beating the door down for their services, beggars can't be choosers and that's what these guys will become next summer...

Rant Over!

Edited by oafcprozac

Not impressed with this, so they'd rather rot and sit out their contracts? Beggars belief, when they turn down the chance of regular first-team football. The Conference is easily league 2 standards and that's where most of Penney's signings belong. I don't think many league clubs will be interested in players of the ilk of Lomax and Worthington and Purdie's got a lot to prove, he's been unlucky with injuries but together with Jacobson and Worthington have cost the club a lot of money over the last 14 months and I bet they've not 30 appearances between them. The least they could do is put themselves in the shop window. (If it is indeed them and i'm sure it is unless Gateshead have made cheeky bids for Stephens and Lee!)

If it was up to me I'd be looking to sort out a pay-off deal asap, but one that's beneficial to the club - clubs have more power than they think. The surplus of foreign players has meant there is now a wealth of talent unable to find clubs. If players suddenly got a reputation for being difficult 'sicknotes' they'd find it even harder to find another club. So i'd offer them their rock-bottom basic (as a lump sum) until Christmas and release them in time for the window. They're out of contract anyway come the end of May so to turn loan moves down is very silly imo.

Everything that is wrong with football, mercenaries in the lower leagues FFS! I would have sacked Worthington on the spot for bringing the club into disrepute over 'SaraUSAgate' anyway.

Whether these two think they're better than the Conference, FL clubs are hardly beating the door down for their services, beggars can't be choosers and that's what these guys will become next summer...

Rant Over!

+1

They would be still be picking up the same amount each week/month

They are all in for a sharp waking up when they have finished playing football.

Even Parker wants to play first team football even if it is in the conference.

Rant Over!

Agree 100%.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

I think it's a bit harsh and unfair to be criticising players for non-moves when no one actually knows who has turned the moves down.

These players may want to stay at the club and fight for a first-team place here rather than at Gateshead.

I think it's a bit harsh and unfair to be criticising players for non-moves when no one actually knows who has turned the moves down.

These players may want to stay at the club and fight for a first-team place here rather than at Gateshead.

Well said macca i hope your ok and well mate

you didnt pm me that day.

Numbers here are made up but ....

Stay at Latics: £1,500 a week until contract expires ... after which you take your chances but would feel fairly confident that you could get another deal somewhere on at least £1,000 a week. Worst scenario is another Gateshead come in and pay you £500 a week.

Sign a two year deal at Gateshead and earn £1,500 a week for the rest of this season and £500 a week next season. But restrict your opportunity to find a league club at the end of this season.

If it was me, I'd stay exactly where I am and take my chances when my deal's up.