Brighton 2 - 1 Latics

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing result but we did well again against a good side. Brighton sounded very good going forward. Dickov and the coaching team should know what needs to be looked at.

I'm not worried just disappointed. We'll bounce back no danger.

Disappointing result but we did well again against a good side. Brighton sounded very good going forward. Dickov and the coaching team should know what needs to be looked at.

I'm not worried just disappointed. We'll bounce back no danger.

But it's the same old faults game after game, maybe some changes in personnel are required in order to cut out the set play disasters.

But it's the same old faults game after game, maybe some changes in personnel are required in order to cut out the set play disasters.

To be fair though there are less faults than maybe me and you thought there would be at the start of the season and much better football.

Shows what a tight league this is. Had we held on, we would still be in the top 6 and Brighton wouldn't be top. The table looks nothing like we would have expected 8 games in.

A resulton Tuesday night can throw it wide open again.

no way, sheff weds wont lose twice at home on the trot.

we've lost twice to teams with money who have spent it on good league one players. we've got a small budget and it sounds like we've given both brighton and peterborough a decent game even though we've conceded 7 goals. last season, we'd have gone to those places and played on the break for a draw, fair enough, we won at brighton but we lost games to teams like bristol and yeovil.

Second match I have seen this season. Amazed at some of the moaning on this site. Brighton were excellent going forward and you could see why they are top. But we moved well too. Two separate Brighton supporters who spoke to me – one leaving the ground, the other in the bus queue – both said we were the best side they had seen there this season.

Not sure why Brill is being knocked yet again. Without his two excellent saves, we would have been out of it inside the first 10 minutes. Their first goal was because the guy was unmarked from a corner, the second a goalmouth scramble at the far end.

Some nice play from the Latics and it is good to see good football after last season. Just because we are not winning every match should not let people lose sight of what the current management are trying to do. Players like Lee, Black and Alessandra are showing what they can do with the right encouragement.

Taylor showed some good flashes of his real ability, Tounkare did lots of good work. But we could really do with a return to form by Stephens, the player of only a few weeks ago could well have won us the match. What we are lacking most onfield against a good team like Brighton is the leadership that Gregan brought last season. With that, we would easily have had a point yesterday.

Second match I have seen this season. Amazed at some of the moaning on this site. Brighton were excellent going forward and you could see why they are top. But we moved well too. Two separate Brighton supporters who spoke to me – one leaving the ground, the other in the bus queue – both said we were the best side they had seen there this season.

Not sure why Brill is being knocked yet again. Without his two excellent saves, we would have been out of it inside the first 10 minutes. Their first goal was because the guy was unmarked from a corner, the second a goalmouth scramble at the far end.

Some nice play from the Latics and it is good to see good football after last season. Just because we are not winning every match should not let people lose sight of what the current management are trying to do. Players like Lee, Black and Alessandra are showing what they can do with the right encouragement.

Taylor showed some good flashes of his real ability, Tounkare did lots of good work. But we could really do with a return to form by Stephens, the player of only a few weeks ago could well have won us the match. What we are lacking most onfield against a good team like Brighton is the leadership that Gregan brought last season. With that, we would easily have had a point yesterday.

Thanks Quark for the overview. Reality check everyone, did we really think we were going to win there yesterday?

Yes we were succker punched but that's footy for you and I am sure we will be kicking another team in the teeth the same way along our season

Thanks Mr Brill, again, people are looking at blame for the last game when the online chat and BBC Manchester commentary said he pulled off some great saves to keep the scoreline respectable. The player gets too much grief for my liking.

Onwards to Sheffield. I am hoping for a good game.

Chin up everyone

Some good points made on here, but not being as regular as I would like to be I have a couple of questions/points to ask:

Should we persevere with Stephens in the hope that his form/confidence falls back into place or should we introduce Jones into CM or possibly try Christophe (I confess to not knowing too much about him) if his fitness is up to it?

Seeing as Hazell and Lee are unlikely to be dropped, should Jarrett and Jacobson be considered for a return......more so Jacobson instead of Black as he has more height and some CB experience to deal with what appears to be set piece issues.

Some good points made on here, but not being as regular as I would like to be I have a couple of questions/points to ask:

Should we persevere with Stephens in the hope that his form/confidence falls back into place or should we introduce Jones into CM or possibly try Christophe (I confess to not knowing too much about him) if his fitness is up to it?

Seeing as Hazell and Lee are unlikely to be dropped, should Jarrett and Jacobson be considered for a return......more so Jacobson instead of Black as he has more height and some CB experience to deal with what appears to be set piece issues.

All fair points.

Not heard much about how we set out our game yesterday.

TV coverage showed Taylor on the right for the goal and Alessandra on the left. Did we go 4-5-1? The substitution suggests 4-4-2. Was this an attacking change (from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2) or a like for like change? If it eas an attacking change, hindsight tells me the manager made an error. But then if we'd scored a goal in the last minute of injury time he'd be a hero and we'd be second in the league.

How did Stephens perform? If we had 5 in the middle you'd hope it would have freed him up to play his game more.

While I'd be reluctant to make changes to a side that is getting to work out how to play together, and doing okay on the whole, the occasional "example" setting is a positive thing that keeps players on their toes. I wouldn't specifically single out Stephens or Black, although both have played better games than those I've seen in recent weeks.

Ultimately we need a Gregan. Be it 30 games this season from the aging master of 2009/10 or somebody else stepping up to the plate and dominating at the back. I doubt Jarrett or M'voto are that player. Without Gregan, a goalkeeper who dominates the area like the older Schmeichel would be appreciated.

Edited by opinions4u

There's a foul on Brill by the player on the line as the first (blocked) shot comes in. Goal should not have stood imo - looks like the ref bottled it. Wonder if we would have been allowed to take a corner a minute over the allotted time? Not trying to make excuses, but that is hard to take when it looks as though referee incompetence has denied us a point. IT looks from the FL Show highlights that they dominated. Cracking goal from Lewi, awful equaliser, we're just not dominating in the air in either box. Surely PD can see this. I know Greegs has a knock but surely sooner rather than later he needs to be brought back in. We've conceded 7 goals in the last two away games mostly from set-pieces. One thing about Gregan is he owns our penalty-box.

Looks like the text service did Brill a disservice for the winner, not at fault at all and a clear foul, first goal he doesn't move though again.Lost count of the times he simply does not move.

The goal came through after the classifieds had been read on SSN, at a MINUTE to five, now even allowing for a couple of minute delay to the goal coming through the wires and time added on at the end of the first half that's still 10 minutes after 4:45, unreal....I know we're arguing 6 minutes was added on but surely it was much more?

Edited by oafcprozac

I would certainly consider bringing in Jarrett for M'Voto, if Gregan's not up to task. I think Hazell's centre-back parter is probably the weak link in our defence.

I would certainly consider bringing in Jarrett for M'Voto, if Gregan's not up to task. I think Hazell's centre-back parter is probably the weak link in our defence.

I don't think Jarrett would be winning more headers than M'voto. I can see the case for playing him ahead of M'voto, but not for this specific issue.

Nobody seems to be taking ownership of defending the crosses. That needs reolving.