PUTTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

I have been moved to reply, given the many comments recently made about the conduct and running of the club. Given that I have been a Club Director for the past seven years seems to also imply that I must take my share of responsibility if any of these points are correct.

I do not deny the right of fans to pass opinion about how we go about things and I would be the first the acknowledge that mistakes have occurred along the way. I am sure my colleagues would also subscribe to this view. I do feel a greater responsibility, given that I am the fans representative on the board, so please forgive me if I give you some frank and honest answers. Youi may not like the points I make but they happen to be the truth.

Constant criticism occurs as to what the club does or does'nt do. Alan Hardy was critised this season for pointing out that the players budget had to be reduced due to dwindling gates. No blame was attached to those who do attend not was any attack made on specific fans who did not go to games. Sorry but it is a simple fact he was pointing out. If we do not get money in through the gates we can't spend it on players. We also did not believe that gates would be so low when we invested in the new manager. It would have been so easy to go for a cheaper option. Believe me that at every board meeting, ways are examined as to how we can increase our gates. We are fully aware and committed to the solid fan base and on that point I fully agree with BB80, that like himself there are many fans who will support us come what may. I just happen to be one of those as well and I am just proud that we have a football team in our town.

Our owners have had little encouragement or support from the official bodies involved with the new development and it is only recently that the Council appears to realise that Oldham Athletic needs a new home. Like it or not Boundary Park does not cater for a matchday experience and I am currently looking at ways in which we can utilise one of the corner suites for matchday fans. We do however have to cater for fans who have paid large sum s of money for the use of that facility

As a Board of Directors we do not sit back smuggly with an air of complacency believing that fans will put up with anything we provide. That is why everyone is trying to get the move to the new ground up and running as soon as possible.

I was talking to Simon Corney today about financial matters before our Board Meeting on Wednesday. He is quite happy for me to tell you that for this month alone we have to find a further £220.000. That is what we are constantly battling towards. Some posters have suggested that the club has been badly run for the past number of years. Who do they blame and for what. When directors are chasing around to keep the club afloat it is little wonder that their enthusiasm is dampened with irresponsibly comments that cannot be justified.

I also have to tell you that recent activities by the Trust have not reaped the rewards we might have expected despite the tremendous efffort and work put in by Trust Directors. I cannot thank those few who are contributing to Playershare enough.

The scheme will continue but the lack of support given to it demonstrates the apathy amongst many fans.

I get criticised by fans and sometimes my colleagues who do not take kindly to the gloom I portray. Why, it is just the truth.

We have got a good management team and the prospects of better times to come in the right circumstances.Investment is essential and support of those currently trying to run the club is preferable.

We are all in this together. The future of the club depends on its fans. As I have said before we are a dwindling number and perhaps it might appear a bit unfair to keep tapping into you for added funds but at the end of the day the figures have to add up.

I do meet a lot of you at games and it is very clear that you have a passion and worries about the club. It is very difficult when you do not have control over matters, so I do understand the frustration many feel. This season the directors have made essential savings at the club that will need to continue.

On a final note, I am currently looking into the circumstances regarding Jack Gordon who so gratiously made a huge donation to playershare. I am surprised that people would think that our club would stoop so low as to ring him for a further donation. That is not the case and I am looking into how these matters arose.

Barry

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what we are constantly battling towards. Some posters have suggested that the club has been badly run for the past number of years. Who do they blame and for what. When directors are chasing around to keep the club afloat it is little wonder that their enthusiasm is dampened with irresponsibly comments that cannot be justified.

Would it be fair to say that paying employees (players) so much when you take in so little is unwise ? I presume this is the case and no doubt you can set me straight if I am wrong...

Isn't this the main source of the problem for the majority of clubs ? Players wages and the lack of joined up will between clubs to stop paying them so much when the crowds aren't there to support such high payments ?

Edited by oafc0000

I have been moved to reply, given the many comments recently made about the conduct and running of the club. Given that I have been a Club Director for the past seven years seems to also imply that I must take my share of responsibility if any of these points are correct.

I do not deny the right of fans to pass opinion about how we go about things and I would be the first the acknowledge that mistakes have occurred along the way. I am sure my colleagues would also subscribe to this view. I do feel a greater responsibility, given that I am the fans representative on the board, so please forgive me if I give you some frank and honest answers. Youi may not like the points I make but they happen to be the truth.

Constant criticism occurs as to what the club does or does'nt do. Alan Hardy was critised this season for pointing out that the players budget had to be reduced due to dwindling gates. No blame was attached to those who do attend not was any attack made on specific fans who did not go to games. Sorry but it is a simple fact he was pointing out. If we do not get money in through the gates we can't spend it on players. We also did not believe that gates would be so low when we invested in the new manager. It would have been so easy to go for a cheaper option. Believe me that at every board meeting, ways are examined as to how we can increase our gates. We are fully aware and committed to the solid fan base and on that point I fully agree with BB80, that like himself there are many fans who will support us come what may. I just happen to be one of those as well and I am just proud that we have a football team in our town.

Our owners have had little encouragement or support from the official bodies involved with the new development and it is only recently that the Council appears to realise that Oldham Athletic needs a new home. Like it or not Boundary Park does not cater for a matchday experience and I am currently looking at ways in which we can utilise one of the corner suites for matchday fans. We do however have to cater for fans who have paid large sum s of money for the use of that facility

As a Board of Directors we do not sit back smuggly with an air of complacency believing that fans will put up with anything we provide. That is why everyone is trying to get the move to the new ground up and running as soon as possible.

I was talking to Simon Corney today about financial matters before our Board Meeting on Wednesday. He is quite happy for me to tell you that for this month alone we have to find a further £220.000. That is what we are constantly battling towards. Some posters have suggested that the club has been badly run for the past number of years. Who do they blame and for what. When directors are chasing around to keep the club afloat it is little wonder that their enthusiasm is dampened with irresponsibly comments that cannot be justified.

I also have to tell you that recent activities by the Trust have not reaped the rewards we might have expected despite the tremendous efffort and work put in by Trust Directors. I cannot thank those few who are contributing to Playershare enough.

The scheme will continue but the lack of support given to it demonstrates the apathy amongst many fans.

I get criticised by fans and sometimes my colleagues who do not take kindly to the gloom I portray. Why, it is just the truth.

We have got a good management team and the prospects of better times to come in the right circumstances.Investment is essential and support of those currently trying to run the club is preferable.

We are all in this together. The future of the club depends on its fans. As I have said before we are a dwindling number and perhaps it might appear a bit unfair to keep tapping into you for added funds but at the end of the day the figures have to add up.

I do meet a lot of you at games and it is very clear that you have a passion and worries about the club. It is very difficult when you do not have control over matters, so I do understand the frustration many feel. This season the directors have made essential savings at the club that will need to continue.

On a final note, I am currently looking into the circumstances regarding Jack Gordon who so gratiously made a huge donation to playershare. I am surprised that people would think that our club would stoop so low as to ring him for a further donation. That is not the case and I am looking into how these matters arose.

Barry

Night.

:blink::huh:

So the club have lost £220k this month ? Did I read that right ?

No, you didn't. There is a massive difference between cashflow (a need for working capital) and profit & loss. The club needs to find £220,000 this month because there are bills to pay. It doesn't mean they have lost £220,000 (although we know that the club does make losses, which the now departed Mr Blitz has been funding for years). Maybe it's the VAT qurter. Certainly, the players need paying. Then there is the PAYE...

No, you didn't. There is a massive difference between cashflow (a need for working capital) and profit & loss. The club needs to find £220,000 this month because there are bills to pay. It doesn't mean they have lost £220,000 (although we know that the club does make losses, which the now departed Mr Blitz has been funding for years). Maybe it's the VAT qurter. Certainly, the players need paying. Then there is the PAYE...

Thanks for explaining that. Spot on. Many expenses befall the club, some we estimate for and others that can occur.

Some maintanence work or machinery can go faulty and you are faced with repalacement of a huge bill for repairs.

Floodlights might go faulty. Just a few examples of hidden costs that can occur that many fans do not see.

As I say we have made massive efforts to save on costs this season, yet I see that people are commenting that we don't look after guests so well and the Directors Box was quite empty last Saturday. Many reason for that but believe me thing have really tightened up at the club.

Barry

I realise that :) just shocked that we are 220,000 in the :censored: given we was told there was a "budget" this season....(not really shocked to be honest because I thought it was a statement that meant little)...and given some of us questioned why we was signing players when we had no money...

In my eyes the club is being run properly if we are living within our cashflow... Cash is king as they say... Am I wrong about the playing budget? If a company is being run properly surely you don't pay employees what you can't afford ? Is this unfair to say?

My point seems to have been ignored...

Edited by oafc0000

I realise that :) just shocked that we are 220,000 in the :censored: given we was told there was a "budget" this season....(not really shocked to be honest because I thought it was a statement that meant little)...and given some of us questioned why we was signing players when we had no money...

In my eyes the club is being run properly if we are living within our cashflow... Cash is king as they say... Am I wrong about the playing budget? If a company is being run properly surely you don't pay employees what you can't afford ? Is this unfair to say?

My point seems to have been ignored...

I don't think it has been ignored, but just cannot be fully revealed. Of course, we naturally would all like more info.

Many expenses befall the club, some we estimate for and others that can occur.

Some maintanence work or machinery can go faulty and you are faced with repalacement of a huge bill for repairs.

Floodlights might go faulty. Just a few examples of hidden costs that can occur that many fans do not see.

So quite a few expenses have hit the club this month.

I think people forget how much money is put into club each month.

Of course, you are saying it should be run prudently. And I personally agree with that.

But plenty of outhers are saying we should push the boat out to go for promotion. And criticising for explaining why the budget was cut, the very thing you and I are advocating.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's a no-win situation.

I don't think it has been ignored, but just cannot be fully revealed. Of course, we naturally would all like more info.

Many expenses befall the club, some we estimate for and others that can occur.

So quite a few expenses have hit the club this month.

I think people forget how much money is put into club each month.

Of course, you are saying it should be run prudently. And I personally agree with that.

But plenty of outhers are saying we should push the boat out to go for promotion. And criticising for explaining why the budget was cut, the very thing you and I are advocating.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's a no-win situation.

Very true, and its why I always put the blame as much on the fans as I do the clubs when football clubs end up in trouble... Best example being Portsmouth...

I have totally lost my appetite to throw money down a bottomless pit with players being paid FAR more than the fruits of their efforts...

Edited by oafc0000

Barry some comments...

Constant criticism occurs as to what the club does or does'nt do. Instead of taking the criticism to heart why don't the directors make an attempt to implement many of the good ideas suggested to increase income of which many have come come from within the Trust itself. The club's attitude of 'This will not work because... ' needs to change. There are no problems Barry, only solutions but until the club changes its attitude, they will continue to alienate many and be perceived to be sitting on their handsAlan Hardy was critised this season for pointing out that the players budget had to be reduced due to dwindling gates. It was still a massive PR own goal, mentioning this whilst ST's are onsale is simply shooting the club in the foot, Alan has proved over the years to be exteremely reactionary in his attitude towards the paying public. He seems to have softened a little over the years but is still guilty of negativity. We know there are financial problems at the club, so find the positiveness the "The budget will be reduced, but we don't believe that will be an issue with our vibrant young squad and coaching team... etc, etc,,,

No blame was attached to those who do attend not was any attack made on specific fans who did not go to games. Sorry but it is a simple fact he was pointing out. If we do not get money in through the gates we can't spend it on players. We also did not believe that gates would be so low when we invested in the new manager. It would have been so easy to go for a cheaper option. Believe me that at every board meeting, ways are examined as to how we can increase our gates. We are fully aware and committed to the solid fan base and on that point I fully agree with BB80, that like himself there are many fans who will support us come what may. I just happen to be one of those as well and I am just proud that we have a football team in our town. as I said in my post yesterday, there are a combination of factors not least 14 years in this division, but come on how many false dawns have there been under the present ownership - this is one of the biggest reasons for the apathy -get out and speak to people within the town Barry and people will tell you the seem thing time and time again - mainly the perception that the club is going nowhere

Our owners have had little encouragement or support from the official bodies involved with the new development and it is only recently that the Council appears to realise that Oldham Athletic needs a new home. Like it or not Boundary Park does not cater for a matchday experience and I am currently looking at ways in which we can utilise one of the corner suites for matchday fans. We do however have to cater for fans who have paid large sum s of money for the use of that facility This has been one of the most frustrating aspects of TTA tenure, their help us to help you attitude, at first it was refreshing now it pervades at every turn - I know they need help in gaining the correct permissions etc - but as for financial help there's no chance of our bankrupt council ever making significant contribution to Oldham Athletic - the best thing the council could have done is sold the land at BP to TTA minus the stadium then we wouldn't be frantically putting all our hopes on a scheme (of which i'm a supporter) which has polarised the support and fuelling the apathy that has destroyed our matchday crowds.

As a Board of Directors we do not sit back smuggly with an air of complacency believing that fans will put up with anything we provide. Unfortunately Barry this does very much seem the caseThat is why everyone is trying to get the move to the new ground up and running as soon as possible.

I was talking to Simon Corney today about financial matters before our Board Meeting on Wednesday. He is quite happy for me to tell you that for this month alone we have to find a further £220.000. That is what we are constantly battling towards. Some posters have suggested that the club has been badly run for the past number of years. Who do they blame and for what. When directors are chasing around to keep the club afloat it is little wonder that their enthusiasm is dampened with irresponsibly comments that cannot be justified. Whilst SImon has made PR mistakes in the past, he needs to be higher profile, come May 2011 we could be facing severe financial difficulties - especially if season ticket sales are lower than this season - as you say, you can budget but costs will arise unexpectedly

I also have to tell you that recent activities by the Trust have not reaped the rewards we might have expected despite the tremendous efffort and work put in by Trust Directors. I cannot thank those few who are contributing to Playershare enough. The problem is times are bloody hard in this town, i've spent 6 years training for a new career and struggling like hell to find a position, it is likely that I will be joining the growing band of exiles in the not too distant future. But after buying season tickets, shirts, corporate hospitality, strike it lucky tickets, programmes etc.. what more can we do? The Playershare scheme is a great idea but like last time people will not and simply cannot afford to contribute on top of everything else

The scheme will continue but the lack of support given to it demonstrates the apathy amongst many fans. - That's unfair, there's a of of uncertainty around the club, but the small fanbase we have is very loyal and supports the club in whatever way it can. I think the main reason Player Share has struggled in simple finances. When you see that Corney and co are 'struggling', that's 100 times worse for your normal man in the street.

I get criticised by fans and sometimes my colleagues who do not take kindly to the gloom I portray. Why, it is just the truth. The truth hurts, but Barry a positive spin or outlook could be tried occasionally - we're sick of doom and gloom that's all we've had since the beginning of the 93/94 season!!! Give us something positive to cling to!

We have got a good management team and the prospects of better times to come in the right circumstances. Investment is essential and support of those currently trying to run the club is preferable. How proactive are the owners being in seeking additional investment? And isn't it likely any investor will want to run the club independent of the present ownership?

We are all in this together. The future of the club depends on its fans. As I have said before we are a dwindling number and perhaps it might appear a bit unfair to keep tapping into you for added funds but at the end of the day the figures have to add up. This is where the club consistently lets itself down with its apathetic approach to marketing, a successful lottery was allowed to wither and die, a scoreboard was simply left to fall into disrepair etc, etc, all vital revenue streams

Barry

I think my comments here are all fair-minded and not intended to unnecessarily criticise, i'm Oldham born and bred Barry and I do think my views are indicative of the normal fan in the street - the same fan that the club need to do their upmost to get through the turnstiles every week. At the moment there's a feeling of helplessness amongst many - "Whatever I do. It'll make no difference, the decline is just going to continue on its ever deeper path." There has been an air of positivity since Dickov took over but the noises from the boardroom are either silent or increasingly negative. All many can see come next May is a club heading towards administration and for those saying Blitz won't do that blah, blah, blah all he needs to do is miss a Tax Bill and there you go.. it's that simple.

We live in difficult times, there's at least 6 Premier League teams within an hours drive of Boundary Park and we're losing the younger generation quite clearly. The offer publicised this week is a good one, but yet again over complicated. If people won't come to a game, they sure as heck won't make a special trip to the ticket office. There's more than enough room in the ground so let them use their vouchers in the gate. Extend the £3 admission to the Main Stand paddock, that rule of full concessionary price is ridiculous. Erect the beer tent for a couple of games, if it fails it fails - at least the club has TRIED and not simply dismissed the idea. That's my main bug bear, the club dismisses things as out of hand that work at other similar-sized and smaller clubs - simply because they're afraid of failure or simply think it is too much effort.

Edited by oafcprozac

Very true, and its why I always put the blame as much on the fans as I do the clubs when football clubs end up in trouble... Best example being Portsmouth...

I have totally lost my appetite to throw money down a bottomless pit with players being paid FAR more than the fruits of their efforts...

Why? Don't you go any more?

You should've said :grin::grin::grin:

Barry some comments...

I think my comments here are all fair-minded and not intended to unnecessarily criticise, i'm Oldham born and bred Barry and I do think my views are indicative of the normal fan in the street - the same fan that the club need to do their upmost to get through the turnstiles every week. At the moment the moment there's a feeling of helplessness amongst many - "Whatever I do. It'll make no difference, the decline is just going to continue on its ever deeper path." There has been an air of positivity since Dickov took over but the noises from the boardroom are either silent or increasingly negative. All many can see come next May is a club heading towards administration and for those saying Blitz won't do that blah, blah, blah all he needs to do is miss a Tax Bill and there you go.. it's that simple.

We live in difficult times, there's at least 6 Premier League teams within an hours drive of Boundary Park and we're losing the younger generation quite clearly. The offer publicised this week is a good one, but yet again over complicated. If people won't come to a game, they sure as heck won't make a special trip to the ticket office. There's more than enough room in the ground so let them use their vouchers in the gate. Extend the £3 admission to the Main Stand paddock, that rule of full concessionary price is ridiculous. Erect the beer tent for a couple of games, if it fails it fails - at least the club has TRIED and not simply dismissed the idea. That's my main bug bear, the club dismisses things as out of hand that work at other similar-sized and smaller clubs - simply because they're afraid of failure or simply think it is too much effort.

Exactly what I said in another thread. Having to pay £11 to get a small child in is ridiculous. The middle one of my 3 children has recently started showing an interest so I have fetched her to the last 3 home games with me. She's only just 7 so £11 seems very steep, considering we are supposed to be trying to entice more young 'uns to become the fans of the future. I'm fortunate enough that I can, but a lot of people simply can't afford to pay that. And before anybody says it's only £3 to go behind the goals I can't switch because my season ticket is for the Main Stand Paddock and, even if it wasn't, the view from behind the goals is crap and the little 'uns get fed up because they can't see us attacking in the 2nd half.

Die hards / idiots / happy clappers (whatever you want to refer to us as) like me will continue to go no matter what because it's in our blood and will be for ever. Young 'uns who are 50 / 50 whether to bother, or their parents who are paying, on the other hand...

Edited by Break The Silence

What prozac said

Barry, Alan and the Directors often get a lot of unfair, unwarranted and thoughtless criticism on this board.

However, prozac's comments are constructive, carefully considered and show his passion for the club and desire for it to do better. I know Barry will do prozac the courtesy of reading his post and taking the many well made points on board.

It's no good just sniping from the sidelines, the club needs fans to tell them where they're going wrong and come up with ideas and ways of doing things better.

Our owners have had little encouragement or support from the official bodies involved with the new development and it is only recently that the Council appears to realise that Oldham Athletic needs a new home. Like it or not Boundary Park does not cater for a matchday experience

Barry

Barry

Can you explain one thing?

The option the redevelop Boundary Park is no longer deemed suitable and its Failsworth or bust apparently. The reason given for this is to fund a new development we need to sell BP in its entirety. Yet the owners of BP (Blitz and Gazal) have ‘severed all ties with the club’ (official website quote).

So if/when BP is sold, the money received for it will not be going into OAFC’s coffers as I see it. Who then, is going to pay for this new development at Failsworth, as the men with the money will have sailed off into the sunset with it?

We also did not believe that gates would be so low when we invested in the new manager. It would have been so easy to go for a cheaper option. we were told that PD is the cheaper option, he didnt ask for high wages because he wants to get started in management.

we were told that the sale of eaves has funded this season

We have been in the same pish poor division for 14 years. People are sick of it. I go and always will. I dont have answers on how to improve it - I go every year. Pay my money and come back again. I got a season ticket because I think if I didn't I wouldn't be back very often and I'm not willing to give up so easily.

But...

Games have become a "chore". Thats away games too

But the plea for Dikaba made the Playershare scheme into a farce. The money wasnt raised but he is still here! Why? If we cant afford him? If he is playing for free why are we not notified? If he is as good as it was made out why is he not getting games?

A lot of talk on here not a lot of action. What are we going to do? What are YOU going to do. If everyone who went to the game on saturday did something extra then the club would be a lot better off.

Whether if it was to persuade someone to go with you, buy something from the shop, buy a strike it lucky ticket, things like that WE could start to make a difference to the club and the finances.

The club need to make improvements but so do the fans. It's your responsibility as well to keep this club going. Times are hard I know but we can still do more even if we can't pay anymore, not attend etc.

I'm going to the Plymouth game, I've swapped a day at work so I can go. What are you going to do?

A lot of talk on here not a lot of action. What are we going to do? What are YOU going to do. If everyone who went to the game on saturday did something extra then the club would be a lot better off.

Whether if it was to persuade someone to go with you, buy something from the shop, buy a strike it lucky ticket, things like that WE could start to make a difference to the club and the finances.

The club need to make improvements but so do the fans. It's your responsibility as well to keep this club going. Times are hard I know but we can still do more even if we can't pay anymore, not attend etc.

I'm going to the Plymouth game, I've swapped a day at work so I can go. What are you going to do?

did that...they said it wasn't worth the fiver.

i even bought 2 pies, yes two!