PUTTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

did that...they said it wasn't worth the fiver.

i even bought 2 pies, yes two!

It's a start though. It was a fiver and possibly 2 pies they wouldn't have shifted before. Be great if they wanted to come again but I guess they won't. Could always try again?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be fair to say that paying employees (players) so much when you take in so little is unwise ? I presume this is the case and no doubt you can set me straight if I am wrong...

Isn't this the main source of the problem for the majority of clubs ? Players wages and the lack of joined up will between clubs to stop paying them so much when the crowds aren't there to support such high payments ?

The single biggest problem in modern football, and one which cannot be sustained for much longer.

Either clubs will go to the wall with increasing indifference from the wider football community, or attitudes and practices have to change, and change quickly.

Football needs to wake up and smell the dubbin before it is too late.

Due to the endless amount of money being thrown round willy nilly at the top of the game the rest is always going to suffer.

A salary cap and home grown players rule. Would level the playing field but football is business and not entertainment.

The Premierleague, the best league in the world. A two horse race since it began.

Exactly what I said in another thread. Having to pay £11 to get a small child in is ridiculous. The middle one of my 3 children has recently started showing an interest so I have fetched her to the last 3 home games with me. She's only just 7 so £11 seems very steep, considering we are supposed to be trying to entice more young 'uns to become the fans of the future. I'm fortunate enough that I can, but a lot of people simply can't afford to pay that. And before anybody says it's only £3 to go behind the goals I can't switch because my season ticket is for the Main Stand Paddock and, even if it wasn't, the view from behind the goals is crap and the little 'uns get fed up because they can't see us attacking in the 2nd half.

Die hards / idiots / happy clappers (whatever you want to refer to us as) like me will continue to go no matter what because it's in our blood and will be for ever. Young 'uns who are 50 / 50 whether to bother, or their parents who are paying, on the other hand...

Barry a ticket for the main stand uncovered mate reduce it to £15 appeals more to the casual on the day fan.

Biggest deterrent to the casual supporter.....?

Typical conversation in my house when I get home from the Latics -

The mrs : Did they win?

Me : No

Exactly what i get when i go home from a game, shortly followed by my dad saying 'why do you still bother going'

Due to the endless amount of money being thrown round willy nilly at the top of the game the rest is always going to suffer.

A salary cap and home grown players rule. Would level the playing field but football is business and not entertainment.

The Premierleague, the best league in the world. A two horse race since it began.

i agree, but i dont get the last sentence?

To be frank, I think Mr. Owen is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

One only needs to read his original, error-prone post to see the evidence.

Not only is it badly written, but it also contains a confession within of his complete inability to do anything but act as a chocolate teapot for, by his own admisson, 7 very long years...

We have a young, eager, hungry manager, chomping at the bit and leading the team. We need that same hunger and eagerness to galvanise the town. Again I state: A sniping, defending, self-justifying Mr. Owen is part of the problems we face as a club, and is far, far, far from the answer.

Owen The Albatross Out.

"Keep The Faith?" I'd rather say "Stop The Rot".

Pah.

KC

Edited by kirinclassic

To be frank, I think Mr. Owen is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

One only needs to read his original, error-prone post to see the evidence.

Not only is it badly written, but it also contains a confession within of his complete inability to do anything but act as a chocolate teapot for, by his own admisson, 7 very long years...

We have a young, eager, hungry manager, chomping at the bit and leading the team. We need that same hunger and eagerness to galvanise the town. Again I state: A sniping, defending, self-justifying Mr. Owen is part of the problems we face as a club, and is far, far, far from the answer.

Owen The Albatross Out.

"Keep The Faith?" I'd rather say "Stop The Rot".

Pah.

KC

Oooh, that's banning talk I tell yer! :grin:

But the plea for Dikaba made the Playershare scheme into a farce. The money wasnt raised but he is still here! Why? If we cant afford him? If he is playing for free why are we not notified? If he is as good as it was made out why is he not getting games?

Is Playershare paying Dikaba's wages even though he's not playing ?... this question needs to be answered and the criteria for any similar signings in future ?

Edited by BP1960

No. We were willing to pay a contribution but once Smalley went out on loan, this was no longer required.

My point is that great care must be taken when using Playershare money, it must not be wasted on players who won't be in the first team on a regular basis.

Isn't Smalley back next month, if so what happens then to Dikaba and the Playershare money ?

Edited by BP1960

i agree, but i dont get the last sentence?

Just saying that there have never been more than two teams challenging for the title when it comes to the crunch.

It has been since the start United and one of: Blackburn (for a season), Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool.

Surely the best league in the world would have everyone beating each other, not two teams virtually out of sight by Christmas.

Will this year be any different or will one and two be United and Chelsea again?

My point is that great care must be taken when using Playershare money, it must not be wasted on players who won't be in the first team on a regular basis.

Isn't Smalley back next month, if so what happens then to Dikaba and the Playershare money ?

We can't insist that players play, just because Playershare is playing their wages. The whole point of Playershare is that the manager has a place to turn for funds, if he is turned down by the club's board. If he makes that approach, we have to assume that it is because he wants that player at the club.

I have no idea whether the Smalley loan will be extended. That is a question for Keith Hill and Paul Dickov.

If Paul Dickov comes back to us re Dikaba, or indeed any other player, we will make a decision, on its merits, at that time.

We can't insist that players play, just because Playershare is playing their wages. The whole point of Playershare is that the manager has a place to turn for funds, if he is turned down by the club's board. If he makes that approach, we have to assume that it is because he wants that player at the club.

I have no idea whether the Smalley loan will be extended. That is a question for Keith Hill and Paul Dickov.

If Paul Dickov comes back to us re Dikaba, or indeed any other player, we will make a decision, on its merits, at that time.

You can't insist on anyone playing but surely a signing has to make some first team appearances to justify fans outlay of their hard earned money.

Don't you think Playershare members will be peeved if for instance a player they contribute to never plays in the first team while he is under contract - which is quite possible...I know I would be very unhappy to see nothing for my cash.

I feel that barry's initial post is a fair assesment of how things are. Yesterday's free kid thread had comments about the board/owners being money grabbers despite the offer allowing a dad + lad in for £10. And barry does seem to have moderated his approach (even a joke about any errors!) and hit the right tone.

The present set up in terms of money is not ideal, but it never will be, that's our fate, but on the field I think this is a golden opportunity to get behind a genuine

manager who wants to give latics fans what they want; drive, commitment, good football. It's time for those who care to show it.

Exactly what I said in another thread. Having to pay £11 to get a small child in is ridiculous. The middle one of my 3 children has recently started showing an interest so I have fetched her to the last 3 home games with me. She's only just 7 so £11 seems very steep, considering we are supposed to be trying to entice more young 'uns to become the fans of the future. I'm fortunate enough that I can, but a lot of people simply can't afford to pay that. And before anybody says it's only £3 to go behind the goals I can't switch because my season ticket is for the Main Stand Paddock and, even if it wasn't, the view from behind the goals is crap and the little 'uns get fed up because they can't see us attacking in the 2nd half.

Die hards / idiots / happy clappers (whatever you want to refer to us as) like me will continue to go no matter what because it's in our blood and will be for ever. Young 'uns who are 50 / 50 whether to bother, or their parents who are paying, on the other hand...

Agree.. my dad is currently helping pay for me.. but even when i had a paperround (£10 a week) i wouldnt have been able to attend the game..

Needs sorting quickly.

We are no longer in the formula at this stage regarding payments to him. I can assure you that great care is being taken with fans money.

B.

What about the other questions Barry? Regarding Blitz & Gazal 'severe all ties with the club' which means they get the money from the sale of BP and not OAFC..

You can't insist on anyone playing but surely a signing has to make some first team appearances to justify fans outlay of their hard earned money.

Don't you think Playershare members will be peeved if for instance a player they contribute to never plays in the first team while he is under contract - which is quite possible...I know I would be very unhappy to see nothing for my cash.

I'm making an assumption that, when people donate, they are trusting us to do the right thing with their money. That is utmost in our thoughts, as Barry has said. We can and will decline requests, if we feel that the player will add nothing to the squad. However, in the same way that the people donating to Playershare are trusting us, to a large extent, we have to trust Paul.

If we funded a player and he hardly ever/never played, what do you think would happen the next time Paul came to us? He knows this and will only come to us when he feels so strongly the need for a player that he doesn't want to give up on him, even having been declined by the board.

I feel that barry's initial post is a fair assesment of how things are. Yesterday's free kid thread had comments about the board/owners being money grabbers despite the offer allowing a dad + lad in for £10. And barry does seem to have moderated his approach (even a joke about any errors!) and hit the right tone.

The present set up in terms of money is not ideal, but it never will be, that's our fate, but on the field I think this is a golden opportunity to get behind a genuine

manager who wants to give latics fans what they want; drive, commitment, good football. It's time for those who care to show it.

Thanks Real. You learn as the days go by. I was particularly tired last night when composing the post and should have checked it better. Anyway I am sure that the message got across. From my point of view I never try and belittle anyone regarding grammar etc. I think it is rude and many a time those correcting you need to look at what they have posted themselves.

Times are such that everyone needs to work together.

B

It's fair to say something as gone wrong in terms of attendences since TTA took over. That's not to say it's all down to them, it's just a fact. What we have to ask ourselves is the reduction in Latics crowds in terms of a percentage the same across the board in the league? If so it would be easy to claim it's the economical state of the country that is the root cause or that football is now turning off the public.

That's to simple though. There are many localised factors for each individual club and at Latics it's well known we have a large Asian population who simply do not attend football matches with anything like the same levels of white/afro black population. Oldham is easilly one of the lowest paid employment area's in the country with few jobs and prospects which breeds apathy on all fronts to many of it's younger people. We also have the two Premier League scum bags down the road where 70% of the Oldham populace don their replica (real or fake) shirts in fromt of the TV.

Then we have the problem that's affected those that once made the trip to BP week in week out. Given hope by the arrival of TTA and the ambitions touted in their fanfare speeches, after months of uncertainty on the clubs future. We the fans after digging deep into sometimes shallow pockets in a desperate attempt of keeping the club alive was carried away with relief and renewed hopes. Even though down the ages Latics fans have been left short we believed. I think TTA believed too to be fair. Now we've seen so many U turns and up to this time nothing but the ground being made into three sides, housing go up on the land prior to anything concrete with a new ground, Told how the funding of the club could not be met in future to 2 off the founding amigo's gone. I think we've lost a good 600 from the Lookers and the state of the ground/lack of a new one as lost a good 1000.

I thought Playershare decisions were to be made by a committee independent of the Trust?

Kind of. I am on that committe, which is why I used the word 'we'. It is not entirely independent of the Trust, in that there are three Trust directors on the committee, alongside a couple of non-Trust people (fans).