Latics CITY legend promotion V Plymouth

I didnt really look too much into this promotion... However BB80 has raised a valid point. Like most people I assumed that City were playing on a different day or in the evening???

NO... they play Wolves away on the same day at 3pm.

Now please tell me the clubs marketing/pr team knew this????

Anyone remotely interested in City will be either at the game, or in a pub watching it on some foreign sports channel?

Is this another titanic moment????

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt really look too much into this promotion... However BB80 has raised a valid point. Like most people I assumed that City were playing on a different day or in the evening???

NO... they play Wolves away on the same day at 3pm.

Now please tell me the clubs marketing/pr team knew this????

Anyone remotely interested in City will be either at the game, or in a pub watching it on some foreign sports channel?

Is this another titanic moment????

tis a joke

Yes, and kicks off at the same time - do you frequent town centre bubs at 3pm???

No.

I tend to be at Boundary Park.

But I think the whole idea of the promotion is to get some of them out of those pubs and down to BP on the cheap ...

Damned if they do ...

Edited by opinions4u

Bury had a promotion on Saturday where the holder of any Premier or Championship club season ticket got in for a fiver. Their crowd was 850 more than average. How closely those two stats are linked is open to debate but...

Yes, which was done on a day where there was no Premiership or Championship footy. Which is what we should be doing, rather than on a day with a full football programme. I really can't see this particular deal having much of an impact on attendance if at all.

That's the thing about Latics and Promotions; there's no sustained campaign, it's always a try it once and see it doesn't work. Each season it needs to be made clear as soon as the fixtures are announced what the offer is. After all, we all know by now which are the poorly attended fixtures.

Yes, which was done on a day where there was no Premiership or Championship footy. Which is what we should be doing, rather than on a day with a full football programme. I really can't see this particular deal having much of an impact on attendance if at all.

But it's Dickov v Reid. Latics v Plymouth. We couldn't choose when that fixture took place, it was dictated to us on June 17th when the fixtures came out.

But it's Dickov v Reid. Latics v Plymouth. We couldn't choose when that fixture took place, it was dictated to us on June 17th when the fixtures came out.

Horsecrap. As if tons of Citeh fans are going to travel down here to watch said ex-players in tracksuits at the side of the pitch.

Bottom line is Latics just don't know how to market their product. It needs sustained campaigns, not the odd one offs like Exeter last season and the farce that was the "Bring a mate for a fiver" (But queue up for nearly an hour at the two ticket booths in the entire club). Campaigns like Attend Game X and Game Y and get Game Z free of charge/vastly reduced admission are the ones Latics need to persue.

Horsecrap. As if tons of Citeh fans are going to travel down here to watch said ex-players in tracksuits at the side of the pitch.

Bottom line is Latics just don't know how to market their product. It needs sustained campaigns, not the odd one offs like Exeter last season and the farce that was the "Bring a mate for a fiver" (But queue up for nearly an hour at the two ticket booths in the entire club). Campaigns like Attend Game X and Game Y and get Game Z free of charge/vastly reduced admission are the ones Latics need to persue.

They are two separate debates. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the club making the offer to Citeh fans for the Plymouth game. If only ten extra fans turn up, it's nowt lost is it? The need to get people in on a regular basis is another story entirely...

No.

But I think the whole idea of the promotion is to get some of them out of those pubs and down to BP on the cheap ...

Damned if they do ...

What when we are away? Or dont have a game?

Right I will put in real terms for you??? Would you go to City and pay a tenner when you can go to Last Orders in town and watch Latics?

Nothing wrong with the promotion, but not the right timing to even bother with it!!! Think about it

What when we are away? Or dont have a game?

Right I will put in real terms for you??? Would you go to City and pay a tenner when you can go to Last Orders in town and watch Latics?

Nothing wrong with the promotion, but not the right timing to even bother with it!!! Think about it

I'd pay a £10 to go watch City , like them or not they have a great stadium and some good players on show now , however flip it I wouldnt pay £10 to watch City if they was in League 1 with a tiny crappy ground

They are two separate debates. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the club making the offer to Citeh fans for the Plymouth game. If only ten extra fans turn up, it's nowt lost is it? The need to get people in on a regular basis is another story entirely...

The argument is that the promotion is pointless if City are playing at the same time - do you not get it......

Totally agree - AH productions

Time for him to go, he is clueless - when times are hard you need innovation, and AH doesnt have an ounce!

Totally agree - AH productions

Time for him to go, he is clueless - when times are hard you need innovation, and AH doesnt have an ounce!

Not every City season ticket holder will be going to that game. A handful might fancy taking in some live football. A Handful might live in Oldham or the surrounding towns. A couple might live a stones throw from the ground. One might be visiting someone at the hospital in the morning.

A long shot but some might even have friends who follow Latics and go with them.

They might turn up ... They do we make a little extra money, maybe they'll come back when they are at a loose end.

They might not turn up ... They don't we're in no worse position than we were before.

No.

Damned if they do ...

I was quick to jump into this debate on the original thread with a hastily constructed cynical view that only people with a City connection would use this promotion to get a cheaper attendance than they would otherwise have paid and that an expectation of several (tens/hundreds) City fans queuing at the ticket office was never going to be realised.

However, on reflection, we all have to recognise that Latics need to explore EVERY opportunity - either as a one-off as in this case or, as I and several other posters have commented, via a sustained campaign throughout the season.

I will never be convinced that any City season ticket holders would make a regular repeat visit BUT ... if they are local, their kids might - my grandson has been to a couple of City games as a guest of his friend's dad - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could reverse that and entice his kids to BP.

Free admittance for Under 13s with an adult is the way forward (without the restriction of having to Q at the ticket office of course).

I'd pay a £10 to go watch City , like them or not they have a great stadium and some good players on show now , however flip it I wouldnt pay £10 to watch City if they was in League 1 with a tiny crappy ground

Your missing the point FFS

Would you pay £10 at city if you could watch Latics on TV in the pub at the same time???????