Football League Show - for those who are anti-Failsworth

They did a little piece on Chesterfield if you haven't seen it

New ground, probably not at much different to what we're after - crowds up 50%, everyone having a drink, a laugh, making a day of it, a nice place to watch football

I too would rather stay closer to home than go to Failsworth too but this highlighted perfectly for all the positives that would come with a new ground, wherever it is

(Their manager and striker looked like they could do a job here too :grin: )

New ground, probably not at much different to what we're after - crowds up 50%, everyone having a drink, a laugh, making a day of it, a nice place to watch football

I too would rather stay closer to home than go to Failsworth too but this highlighted perfectly for all the positives that would come with a new ground, wherever it is

found their level

No-one denies a new or redeveloped ground is essential and will bring many benefits. It's the proposed new location of ours that gives massive cause for concern.

I've spoken to too many people who say they won't go to Failsworth (some have even stopped going already) to be convinced our ground move will be successful.

No-one denies a new or redeveloped ground is essential and will bring many benefits. It's the proposed new location of ours that gives massive cause for concern.

I've spoken to too many people who say they won't go to Failsworth (some have even stopped going already) to be convinced our ground move will be successful.

I don't think we need to worry/get excited about Failsworth. The words month, sundays, eat, own and cock spring to mind.

"I won't go again as long as Lee Hughes is playing for us"

"I won't go again while Dave Penney's manager"

"I won't go again if we move to Failsworth....and just to be on the safe side i'm going to stop going now"

I know people have valid concerns about the move - i don't think anyone's totally happy about it - but some people are just looking for any excuse to stop going.

"I won't go again as long as Lee Hughes is playing for us"

"I won't go again while Dave Penney's manager"

"I won't go again if we move to Failsworth....and just to be on the safe side i'm going to stop going now"

I know people have valid concerns about the move - i don't think anyone's totally happy about it - but some people are just looking for any excuse to stop going.

I agree about the excuses thing. I've said the same on here before a few times. But moving your club out of town....well, it's a bit different to having a :censored:e manager.

Alan Hardy told me the new stadium complex in Failsworth would be viable even if no supporters went there. It's the non-football facilities in the complex which would create the Club's viability.

Alan Hardy told me the new stadium complex in Failsworth would be viable even if no supporters went there. It's the non-football facilities in the complex which would create the Club's viability.

Cheers. That's made me feel much better....

That sounds remarkably optimistic. Surely the non-football facilities would need ongoing investment from their own profitability to maintain their own viabilitiy.

I can't see selling out 5-a-side pitches funding a league one wage bill.

Edited by opinions4u

The report also mentioned that their move to the new stadium:

Revitalised the whole club.

Has increased attendances by up by 50%.

Tapped into an abundance of new revenue streams.

The report also mentioned that their move to the new stadium:

Revitalised the whole club.

Has increased attendances by up by 50%.

Tapped into an abundance of new revenue streams.

The reason for most of this is they are top of the league, and scoring lots of goals. Brightons gates are also up, and the club is revitalised, even though they are playing in one of the worst grounds in the League. They have ambitions of playing at a higher level, and will move to a new 22.500 seat stadiom next season.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/StadiumGall...2175556,00.html

The money spent at Failsworth should have been spent redeveloping the Lookers stand, and adding the necessary non football elements to make the club profitable.

The money spent at Failsworth should have been spent redeveloping the Lookers stand, and adding the necessary non football elements to make the club profitable.

As the money spent at Failsworth would be raised by selling off Boundary Park and surrounding land, a new Lookers Stand would look pretty odd overlooking some nice new houses, flats and offices.

That would just about finish off professional football in Oldham.

Edited by opinions4u

As the money spent at Failsworth would be raised by selling off Boundary Park and surrounding land, a new Lookers Stand would look pretty odd overlooking some nice new houses, flats and offices.

That would just about finish off professional football in Oldham.

No,moving to Failsworth will definitely finish off professional football in Oldham.

No,moving to Failsworth will definitely finish off professional football in Oldham.

If you're using "Oldham" to refer exclusively to the town of Oldham rather than the borough, I'd agree with you. Mind you, that would also be the case if the club were to move to anywhere in Chadderton, Shaw, Royton, Bardsley and many other parts of the borough.

Moving to Failsworth will most certainly not spell the end of Oldham Athletic though.

Yawn. Carry on deluding yourself that we are not moving out of Oldham and into M/cr.

And you honestly think a move to Chadderton is remotely comparable to a move to Sth F/w/Moston/N Heath borders..?

Here we go again! Failsworth has not been part of Manchester since 1894! Following the Local Government Act 1894, the area of the local board became the Failsworth Urban District, a local government district within the administrative county of Lancashire. In 1933 there was a small exchange of land with the neighbouring City of Manchester, and in 1954 parts of the Limehurst Rural District was added to Failsworth Urban District. Under the Local Government Act 1972 the Failsworth Urban District was abolished and Failsworth has, since 1 April 1974, formed an unparished area of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, a local government district of the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester.

I always wondered if the Ferney Field Farm plan had got off the ground, whether there would also be opposition to the club moving to Chadderton. After all both Failsworth and Chadderton are separate Lancashire towns with separate histories and identities. They may not be in the town of Oldham, but they are now an integral part of the borough. Moreover, Ferney Field Farm is also very close to the Rochdale borough border!

No one has come up with a suitable (non BP) site in Oldham town, and I don't think there is one? In all reality it looks like Failsworth or bust! I know what I choose!

If you're using "Oldham" to refer exclusively to the town of Oldham rather than the borough, I'd agree with you. Mind you, that would also be the case if the club were to move to anywhere in Chadderton, Shaw, Royton, Bardsley and many other parts of the borough.

Moving to Failsworth will most certainly not spell the end of Oldham Athletic though.

its not the same - and you know it

its not the same - and you know it

Chadderton,Royton and Shaw are Latics hotbeds,even the diehards originally from Westwood,Northmoor and Glodwick all live in these areas now.

Edited by BLUMAX