Sheff Wed on the verge of admin

Indeed. Damn them for getting large debts that they can't service.

Sorry, what's that? £4.5M? Meh, serves us right.

There are more than a few posters on here who have openly supported the idea of spending what we don't have while slagging off the ones who say spend to your means and to that extent if we went under it would serve "us" right....

There are more than a few posters on here who have openly supported the idea of spending what we don't have while slagging off the ones who say spend to your means and to that extent if we went under it would serve "us" right....

Oh, it absolutely would serve us right.

But if you're going to go in to administration you might as well do it for £23m rather than £4.5m or £500k!

(Not the case, of course, if you're a supplier of goods to said football club and end up with 99% of what's owed to you being written off).

(Not the case, of course, if you're a supplier of goods to said football club and end up with 99% of what's owed to you being written off).

Ooo. The little bit at the end.

By supplier of goods, that is a Charity that is continually screwed when providing cheap medical coverage. Local companies who provide us with our general needs. That's before we even get onto robbing the Council and taxpayers blind.

The behaviour of football clubs is nothing short of disgraceful. And £23M does make a difference to £450k - it makes a hell of a difference.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I don't think our situation and Sheff Weds are all that comparable. We're paying less than competetive wages to our playing staff and using the youth system wherever possible to fill the holes left by our meagre budget. Even so we're still spending more than we bring in and the ongoing (although now being made less and less a priority) maintenance work to keep the stadium at least usable is also a constant burden. The thing is if we cut our budget to come in line with our income, we drop out of this division, income reduces again from both attendance and the FL and we reduce again accordingly possibly with the same result. Wednesday have attendances (without checking) upto 20k? That gives them a more than adequate income in this league to put together a VERY competitive team without making a loss. It's purely bad management that's got them to where they are. We're under constant pressure to maintain our position in this league or we start the slide towards the non league. We sell players when we need to to clear some debts but we're pretty much :censored:ed without a new backer or promotion and a surge in attendances. SheffWed could get out of this division no problem and make a profit in the process, they're situation is ridiculous.

It's all well and good mocking Wednesday's demise but some people on here seem to have forgotten our own recent financial problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we the last club to go into administration and not receive a points deduction? It could've been a hell of a lot worse...

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

Whilst its easy to look from afar and say a club deserves this, and a club deserves that - you should remember that these things punish fans more than anyone else and they (like we with £s issues we've had/have) have little if anything to do with the running of the club.

Remember how we felt during the post-CM era? I wouldn't wish that on any genuine football fan.

The comment about you might as well go bust for £23m rather than £500k reminded me of a story in the papers a few years ago that looked at the growing number of clubs going through administration. They produced a league table of clubs that had been through the process and ranked them by the % of the original debt that they ended up paying after admin. We topped the table, paying something like 85% of the original debt at the end of it, whilst other clubs were well down (as low as 20% I think).

At the time I remember thinking we really are a mickey mouse club, we cannot even go bust properly. But on reflection I thought of two things: 1st is that its potentially local businesses and people that we'd be screwing; 2nd is that the one area that you are not going to be able to negotiate down is tax and football costs (wages, tfrs etc), therefore I'd guess that was where most of our debts were - rather than new stadiums etc.

Whilst its easy to look from afar and say a club deserves this, and a club deserves that - you should remember that these things punish fans more than anyone else and they (like we with £s issues we've had/have) have little if anything to do with the running of the club.

Remember how we felt during the post-CM era? I wouldn't wish that on any genuine football fan.

The comment about you might as well go bust for £23m rather than £500k reminded me of a story in the papers a few years ago that looked at the growing number of clubs going through administration. They produced a league table of clubs that had been through the process and ranked them by the % of the original debt that they ended up paying after admin. We topped the table, paying something like 85% of the original debt at the end of it, whilst other clubs were well down (as low as 20% I think).

At the time I remember thinking we really are a mickey mouse club, we cannot even go bust properly. But on reflection I thought of two things: 1st is that its potentially local businesses and people that we'd be screwing; 2nd is that the one area that you are not going to be able to negotiate down is tax and football costs (wages, tfrs etc), therefore I'd guess that was where most of our debts were - rather than new stadiums etc.

• 4 weeks later...