Mouldy Old Dough

I'm sure this has probably been answered on here before, but:

What are the origins behind Latics adopting Mouldy Old Dough as an anthem?

I left my mobile on my desk today while in a meeting and so when it rung, the rest of the office got a full rendition. When I came back, I couldn't give a full explanation.

I'm sure this has probably been answered on here before, but:

What are the origins behind Latics adopting Mouldy Old Dough as an anthem?

I left my mobile on my desk today while in a meeting and so when it rung, the rest of the office got a full rendition. When I came back, I couldn't give a full explanation.

I cant say why but it started being played in the early 70's. Maybe the tannoy man just fancied it. I was told once that it's always played at Speedway fixtures as well but having never been to one I cant be sure if that's true (I then latched onto the possibility the Latics tannoy man was a Speedway freak). Having just googled it I now see that it's the anthem of British Banger Racing as well.

There must be several on here with an exhaustive collection of programmes from the early 70's - I demand you read every single one of them and try to spot a mention.

I have a vision of in the 70s the Latics board gave our 'DJ' a budget of about 3 shillings and he could only buy a couple of records which meant playing it ad infinitum until it became 'part of the scenery'.

There are a number of songs linked to clubs - I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts (Cambridge apparently), You've Lost that Loving Feeling (Forest), Delilah (Stoke) etc. - probably with very little knowledge of why

it was first played when the song came out in 1971 by Roy Butterworth who used to be the DJ before me' I just continued the tradition it really is our Z Cars like everyone or the reggae tunes they play at wolves or Chelsea I stopped playing it for a while and got a lot of complaints from supporters so just started playing it again. Tradition in football not a lot left these days!
from franny ward

It was written as a satire on the introduction of decimal currency. Not a lot of people know that. It is also the theme tune to my screenplay which is currently being read by an Oscar winning director It tells the story of some exiled Northerners trying to save their bankrupt hometown football club. I would book Oldham's cinema for the World Premiere....

Edited by Dave_Og

It was written as a satire on the introduction of decimal currency. Not a lot of people know that. It is also the theme tune to my screenplay which is currently being read by an Oscar winning director It tells the story of some exiled Northerners trying to save their bankrupt hometown football club. I would book Oldham's cinema for the World Premiere....

Is that the one next to the Bowling Alley?

Wasn't it played when we were at the bottom of the 4th division and as we starting getting good under Jimmy Frizz winning a couple of promotions and it became symbolic with that success and as a result we just kept playing it and has carried on today in 2010 thats roughly what my Dad says. I'm sure Diego Sideburns knows the true story to this.

Wasn't it played when we were at the bottom of the 4th division and as we starting getting good under Jimmy Frizz winning a couple of promotions and it became symbolic with that success and as a result we just kept playing it and has carried on today in 2010 thats roughly what my Dad says. I'm sure Diego Sideburns knows the true story to this.

Latics finished 19th in the old Division 4 in the 1969-70 season. Mouldy Old Dough, by Lieutenant Pigeon, was released in 1972. According to Wikipedia it was written by Nigel Fletcher and Rob Woodward, and recorded in the front room of Woodward's Coventry home. It featured his mother Hilda Woodward on piano. The words were a comment on the decimal currency recently introduced to the United Kingdom. It is the only British number one single to feature mother and son.

I can remember seeing the band, with back to back pianos, on TOTP, and hearing this 'new' song at BP. It always reminds me of Latics and BP!

:latics:

As Franny Ward says, Roy Butterworth was the DJ at BP and he played MOD when it was No. 1 in the Chart for four weeks in October 1972. I believe it was simply a tune which appealed to the home fans at BP, and Roy had so many requests for it to be played that it became part of the pre-match ritual.

It was the second biggest selling UK single of the year, behind The Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards' bagpipe version of "Amazing Grace". Think yourselves lucky it's not traditional to play bagpipe music before every home game. :shock: Mind you, back in the 1950s we used to have a pipe band playing live at home matches. :disappointed:

I remember on one occasion at BP, while the announcement was being made that the match was sponsored by Warburton's Bakers, Mouldy Old Dough was being played in the background. :lol:

Loosely linked, I like to think of my importance contribution with a hotly tipped Oscar film, The Kings Speech.

I was on the steps outside work, when a chap asked me who owned the building, so I assured him it was the company I worked for.

I negotiatied a credit in the film, some tickets for a premiere and a £20k per day location fee

was advised a couple of people wanted to come in and check the lcoations, so 4 visits later with up to 20 people and their eye glasses and a couple of visits by Tom Hooper with me guiding them rounmd our buildings, they settled on what they wanted to do.

Long and short of it, they had been to Ireland, everywhere to get a location for a couple of scenes, and we were the perfect one.

(its scene where King George;s mother walks down Harley Street with his to see a docor)

So they choose us, re did all the frontage etc took them a month to set it up/back down

On the day, Colin Firth, Helena Bonhma Crter et al were here, they did smoke machines and set all our alarms off

Did not get the tickets to the main premiere but we were invited to an exclusive screening at BAFTA on Piccadilly.

So he choose a Sunday ( :disappointed: ) and on the same day as my sons best friend's party. :ranting:

So, if you are looking for a location manager.. :wink:

I have the chap who does work for Pinewood etc.

Edited by singe