FA Youth Cup against Sheffield Wednesday Tonight

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that. we struggled early doors and Wednesday benefitted all night from the leniency of the referee. Our lads are a bit too keen to get involved in pushing and shoving and a little bit too gobby at times but hopefully they'll take heed of their mentoring by TP and MP.

We were slow in getting going and struggled to keep the ball and win it back, our first touch was poor for long periods but when we did put moves together they look a good side. Left-back had a bit of a stinker for the Wednesday goals but Mitch Husbands their CF was a real stand out player, good touch, willing runner and a great finish. Their big number four looked a handful too Cecil summat or other.

Onto our lads, Routledge in goal looked assured, Winchester was steady, Tarkowsi was robust and scored the equaliser and Crompton had two chances and scored both so well done to him. The two centre-halves were pulled about by the movement of the two Wednesday lads up front who looked a real double act. Thought Kyle Riley did well when he came on too, another willing runner - one lad who did impress me when he got his act together was the right winger Burns his first touch let him down a few times but he did set the winner up. All in all a big well done to the lads, they refused to be bullied when Sheff Wed were putting it about and pulled the win out of the fire. Crompton looks like he has a real chance, quick and a good finish (I was on holiday for his cameos in Pre-Season and at Scunny)

It was bloody Baltic at BP too, a polar bear mugged me for my hat and scarf on the way out!

Edited by oafcprozac

Crompton was class tonight, took both his goals well and setup Tarkowski's equaliser for 2-2. Winchester is amazing on the ball, can see that he could play in the middle of the park, looks very good on the ball. Wednesday's front two Lacey and Husbands look very good prospects, gave our defence the run around most of the first half. Apart from that they were very physical in the challenge. One of their players got sent off at the final whistle for dissent, couldn't see who.

We played the better football and had the better openings, deserved victory. Bring on the Citeh!

Good showing from them tonight. The Wednesday lads were as mentioned, bigger and stronger but by the end our young 'uns pulled through. There's some good footballers there.

Saw Crompton at Scunny but was yet to see him really for any length of time. Now I understand the reports on him. Very, how can I put this...Dickov like. Running 40 yards to join the scrap wasn't the wisest thing to do but they were all in there not long after. They're young and no doubt about it, in it together. Didn't mind seeing that too much. Let Wednesday know we weren't going to be bullied. Good finishes for the goals too.

All in all, enjoyable.

Didnt get there till half past. Glad I did as it was a decent game.

Freezing - Tuesday against Exeter will be interesting attendance wise if it's that cold again!

Given it's claimed the coral promotion take up as been good, then it should see a few turn out.

Given it's claimed the coral promotion take up as been good, then it should see a few turn out.

Coral promotion isnt going to be in the thousands. Couple of hundred at a push and we'd still be lucky to be near 4,000.

Who was number 4 for Latics tonight?

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Coldest I've been at BP this season ... the car said 7C when I got to it after the game? Never!

Thought Wednesday's tackling in the first half was X rated and you'd have seen red cards flying if that was on telly! Latics lads need to learn not to react - but then the referee let two or three go without anything more than a free kick.

As for the football, Latics came from behind twice. Their first goal looked offside. Crompton looks like a slick finisher and I think he made the second with some neat footwork. Winchester was sharper when moved to midfield than when he was at full back. Tarkowski (I think) got well and truly done on their second goal, but showed some great composure to outdo the same Wednesday player on several occasions in the second half. Then he scored and also went on a superb run of 75 yards before running out of steam on the edge of their box.

Great game.

Coldest I've been at BP this season ... the car said 7C when I got to it after the game? Never!

Thought Wednesday's tackling in the first half was X rated and you'd have seen red cards flying if that was on telly! Latics lads need to learn not to react - but then the referee let two or three go without anything more than a free kick.

As for the football, Latics came from behind twice. Their first goal looked offside. Crompton looks like a slick finisher and I think he made the second with some neat footwork. Winchester was sharper when moved to midfield than when he was at full back. Tarkowski (I think) got well and truly done on their second goal, but showed some great composure to outdo the same Wednesday player on several occasions in the second half. Then he scored and also went on a superb run of 75 yards before running out of steam on the edge of their box.

Great game.

Yep, pretty much go along with that.

Enjoyed it; though it was f-ing freezing!!

Thought Sheff Weds’ No.8 was lucky to stay on the field; as I’d have shown him 2 yellow’s in a very short space of time – he was a really petulant, stroppy & dirty player; which is a shame; because when he actually concentrated on playing football; he was a threat. They should have been down to 9 men; with the No.8 (Paddy Lacey?) walking and so too the No.4 who’s ‘tackle’ on Greg Kidd was X-rated and a real leg-breaker...and i don’t think we even got the free-kick. The ref was weak – and should have stamped out the nasty stuff early-doors; then it wouldn’t have boiled as it did.

We do seem all to ready to push & shove though – and whilst it’s good to see spirit & an attitude of ‘we won’t be bullied’, they need to curb it; as if they make the step up the 1st team; they’ll be sent off; as at that level; the ref’s wont stand for it (See the Bradford player; Doherty, who was sent off on Sat – all of Mellor, Crompton and Laird’s pushing & shoving was worse than his)

Football wise – for me, the stand out was James Tarkowski. Even discounting his goal & assist; I thought he was very composed & assured at the back, and gave the side a extra dimension with his runs from the back. If he hadn’t run out of steam when he reached the edge of the box and shot tamely; that would have been some goal after his; what, 75 yard run. Some dare i say it, Gregan-esq turns & spins to get away from the strikers too, which is always nice to see. He does look slow on the recovery turn though; which was how he got done for their second goal, and to be honest; that’s not something that can be coached as it’s a physical deficiency rather than a skill – and it looks to be the only thing that might stop him making it on last night’s performance.

Special mentions to Andy Crompton for his 2 goals – the run he made for the winner was more impressive IMO than the finish; real stand out bit of quality in the way he initially held; then bent his run to stay on-side but get into the space to latch onto the clever through ball from Burns. Carl Winchester had a good first 10 mins at RB; then drifted IMO – but the switch into midfield was a great decision by TP as a.) I think that’ll be his position he ends up playing & b.) he gave us a drive and thrust that had been missing in that area.

Disagree with Prozac on Riley – I actually thought he looked a tad gangly and cumbersome when he came on, with plenty of moves breaking down when it reached him; and for all his size; he didn’t use it.....but that’s the 1st time I’ve seen him; so we’ll see on him. Burns for me was hit & miss – hit for the winner (through pass) but plenty of misses where his control / first touch let him down; and he is very, very small.

Overall – good battling performance and a good result. Looking forward to the City game; when is it; has it been announced yet??

Good entertaining game and a cold night. Great comeback and spirit. The reward in the next round a good incentive. Well done the boys. Saw a few first team players in the stand - great to see them turning up in support, especially Jacobson, even though he's on the list.

Good entertaining game and a cold night. Great comeback and spirit. The reward in the next round a good incentive. Well done the boys. Saw a few first team players in the stand - great to see them turning up in support, especially Jacobson, even though he's on the list.

The roll call of attendees as i saw it was:

Filipe Morais

Paul Black

Dean Furman

Joe Jacobson

Dale Stephens

Kirk Millar

Jason Jarrett

Warren Feeney

Josh Ollerenshaw

Djeny Bembo Lita

And, management team wise, Dickov, Fitness Paul Butler & Paul Gerrard

“Powers” wise – Simon Corney, Alan Hardy & Ian Hill

Cracking effort on a cold Tuesday night, when they really didn’t have to be. Really good to see.