who do you think is the toughest player to ever play for Latics

Andy Holden, Ron Futcher, Graeme Sharp, Darren Mcdoghnut, Andy Gorton, Mike Milligan, John Kelly - All 'tough' in their own right.

Some of Holdens sliding tackles on plastic were pretty scary/crazy!! Great to watch though.

The 'infamous' picture of Sharp (whilst playing for the toffee men) and Milligan in one of our cup ties, shows two 'tough' 'uns giving no quarter - A great pic.

Jobson, Linighan, Jones, Prenderville, could all put a tackle in as well, though not the enforcing type. Mini Shez didn't dominate enough for me to be classed with some of those.

Sorry to correct you but that picuture is actually Norman Whiteside and Mike Milligan..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan Lawson, his tackling was like the impact of juggernauht running into a brick wall.

Allan Lawson without doubt.

Another vote for Lawson.

In the old game, when wet balls felt like they were were made of squidgy concrete and men were men, Lawson stood out as the hard man.

sorry to re-correct - Graeme Sharp it was at Goodison, League cup 1987. (Though could be wrong with date?!?)

Nope it was Norman Whiteside, the pic was taken in the first leg of the cup which we drew 1.1 , its in the programme for the match when we won, Ritchie scored last min pen..

Do you want me to scan it to you. :grin:

Nope it was Norman Whiteside, the pic was taken in the first leg of the cup which we drew 1.1 , its in the programme for the match when we won, Ritchie scored last min pen..

scan it mate defo was sharp,marshall scored for us and we won the replay at boundary park

FA CUP it was 21st Feb 1990, Whiteside was sent off - Sharp's got hold of Milligan's shirt in the photo. D1-1 AET, Marshall put us 1-0 up in extra-time, Kevin Sheedy equalised with a late, late penalty after Paul Warhurst was penalised. (We won the 2nd 2-1, with Ian Marshall scoring a penalty in extra-time)

The league cup draw was in November '88, Ritchie's goal came in open play after Denis Irwin smashed a free-kick into the wall - Stitch ramming home the rebound. It was indeed 1-1. We battered the Toffees in the replay at BP but lost 2-0 after a late Tony Cottee brace (he also had the cheek to miss a pen)

The game in '87 was a 2-1 defeat also in the LC, Denis Irwin putting us 1-0 up with a free-kick, before we finally succumbed to late Neil Adams winner...

I aplogise, it wasnt Ritchie with a last min pen it was Marshall.

1987?, it was 1989-1990.

The pic of Milligan and Whiteside is from the Everton v oldham FA Cup replay 21 Feb 1989.

Thank you kindly.

:lol: Yeah and despite all of the venom that the plonker put into the tackle, Dissa gets straight up, looking very unimpressed - Keane hard man - my arris

Didn't even get booked, nowadays that would pretty much be a straight red - however, that tackle is similar to the one 'Dissa' dished out to Kanchelskis early doors the night we beat them in '93, if only he'd done something similar that night - when the Rusky ripped us a new one.... :disappointed:

Didn't even get booked, nowadays that would pretty much be a straight red - however, that tackle is similar to the one 'Dissa' dished out to Kanchelskis early doors the night we beat them in '93, if only he'd done something similar that night - when the Rusky ripped us a new one.... :disappointed:

Didn't he just!! He was unplayable that evening.

after 40 odd years of following the 'tics I remember Bill Cranston as a seriously hard center back - (scottish if my memory serves me right) - took no prisoners. Andy Lochhead was a tough nut as well back in the day. Guy Branston was just a physical thug - not a 'hard man' just a dirty brute and waste of a shirt. Matthew Tipton made me smile - Chaddy used to chant 'psycho' when in fact he was as soft as s**t !. Ian Marshall was hard - no doubt about that. Ronnie Blair was tough too but not dirty. Toughest ever ? - in my memory, unless have missed an obvious one, mini-shez - total nutter and one who you would like to have near you if it kicked off on a friday night. hard as nails - end of ! :ranting:

just thought of a couple more - Swailes from Roverum - tough as old boots but never fit enough to do himself justice and Appleby - old gunslinger who was dirty and crude but never 'tough' in the good sense. Darren Sherridan take a bow son !! :grin:

Edited by Blue-Mist

George is described in the reference book as "a dour, craggy Scot with a tenacious and forceful presence".

I always felt Alan Wiliams (father of Gary) was the hard man in the 1962-63 promotion-winning team, when he was ever-present. In four seasons at BP he missed only ten games. He's described in the book as "rugged and fearless" and I wouldn't disagree with that.

In those days there were always a few hard men in a team. Jimmy Frizzel was no softy... Ken Branagan early sixties.....Brian Jarvis ....Sandy Wann was so tough it made your toes curl....he looked it too..............early seventies....Bobby Collins .....and Ronnie Blair of course.