who do you think is the toughest player to ever play for Latics

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always imagined Clint Hill was the sort of player you'd hate to play against although he wasn't with us for long but a question to those of the older generation (when Football was a bit more physical), did we ever have a Billy Bremner/Graeme Souness type of player?

Jim Steel :wink:

George Sievewright, his tackling was akin to facing a combine harvester.

George is described in the reference book as "a dour, craggy Scot with a tenacious and forceful presence".

I always felt Alan Wiliams (father of Gary) was the hard man in the 1962-63 promotion-winning team, when he was ever-present. In four seasons at BP he missed only ten games. He's described in the book as "rugged and fearless" and I wouldn't disagree with that.

George is described in the reference book as "a dour, craggy Scot with a tenacious and forceful presence".

I always felt Alan Wiliams (father of Gary) was the hard man in the 1962-63 promotion-winning team, when he was ever-present. In four seasons at BP he missed only ten games. He's described in the book as "rugged and fearless" and I wouldn't disagree with that.

A class act too was Alan Williams, the reference book is rather gentle with it's description of George I think, no winger in their right mind would go anywhere near him.

Edited by BP1960

Am sure Mvoto and Tounkara are tough bruisers (or bulldozers) when going in for a tackle..

'Wrecking Ball' Tounkara is a gentle giant - he doesn't use his physique enough and is knocked off the ball easily. Yesterday O'Grady, who is not a tough guy, chased back into his own half, robbed Tounkara and set off back upfield with the ball.