Record Shops In Oldham & Manchester

ThaiLatic

Earlier today, I was talking to a colleague about record shops. But I couldn't remember the names of the three of four places where I used to buy a lot of the early Punk singles back in the late 70's.

Two of them where in one of the arcades between High Street and Tommyfield Market (possibly next door to each other?) and one of them was inside the market hall. There also used to be a stall on the outdoor market - which probably didn't have a name.

The other one was right outside Piccadilly station in Manchester - I recall buying London Calling from here on my way to watch Latics play Birmingham in December 1979.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Earlier today, I was talking to a colleague about record shops. But I couldn't remember the names of the three of four places where I used to buy a lot of the early Punk singles back in the late 70's.

Two of them where in one of the arcades between High Street and Tommyfield Market (possibly next door to each other?) and one of them was inside the market hall. There also used to be a stall on the outdoor market - which probably didn't have a name.

The other one was right outside Piccadilly station in Manchester - I recall buying London Calling from here on my way to watch Latics play Birmingham in December 1979.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

I'll ask a mate of mine who's pretty knowledgable about Manchester record shops and who works in Kingbee in Chorlton. Failing that, I'm sure Johnny Punkster is best qualified to answer you on this board.

• Like 1

The Golden Disc was on Manchester St, just lower down than The Regent, until it moved to the Hilton(?) Arcade in 1985ish. Previously, there were two record shops in the arcade, one of them being Javelin records, the other was a National brand (Possibly HMV?) but may have been named Arcade Records at some point IIRC.

Both Woolworths and Littlewoods also had record departments, and the Tommyfield Market had two good record stalls, plus there was briefly a stall that sold ex-jukebox records (With the centres missing). This is in addition to the stall in the inside market.

As for Manchester, my punk singles were usually bought from either Underground Records in the underground market at Spring Gardens, or Piccadilly Records at Piccadilly Plaza. From around 1980 I discovered Yanks records in a back street warehouse near Oxford St which was mega cheap for albums (The first album I bought from there was The Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Veg, which was about £2 cheaper than the usual £6 an album).

Another good source for rarities was on Oldham Rd Failsworth near the Hollinwood border on a corner (Robert St?) at the back of a newsagents. I can't remember the guys name there, but he rarely let you down if you asked him to get you an obscure disc.

golden disc and Javelin were both in the arcade.

spent many an hour in them both late 70's and early 80's on the way home from school.

Picture discs, and red, blue and all colours of vinyl.

There was also a great shop on high street , opposite the old town hall, that sold great scalextric. New and old and cars and track you couldn't seem to get anywhere else.

anyone remember that one?

Always pleased to help out a fellow B.A.L.L.S.

Discland Ltd., 20, Market Avenue, Oldham next to the Hilton Arcade, and both of them leading from High Street to Albion Street and the Market Hall. I remember buying Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel by Elvis in Discland on the HMV label (not RCA) for 6 shillings and threepence halfpenny (about 31.5p).

In November 2009, the rarely-wrong Chron reported the death of Alan Whittaker (58) who collapsed at the wheel of his Transit van on Friday the 13th and crashed into a barrier near Heaton Park. Mr Whittaker was well-known in Oldham for his association with the town’s music shop, Discland.

In addition to Mrs Dobbs’ stall, a bloke called Graham had one on the Market selling ex-juke box singles and badges.

The crappy plastic things ....

You can't beat the vinyl experience. The sound quality, the feel, the cover art and sleeve notes all craved for by vinyl junkies. John Peel will be turning in his grave. Go vinyl or go home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbimFDbPxUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=761RFIFxD0I...feature=related

Thanks for the replies. Golden Disc and Javelin ring a few bells. One of them - the smaller of the two - used to have a big sheet on the wall, where the proprietor would list all the singles he had in stock, along with a short comment.

The stall inside Tommyfield Market had a great selection of current singles but the one outside used to have more obscure stuff. And you could barter.

The Manchester record shop I'm trying to remember was right next to the entrance/exit of Piccadilly station, on the right hand side as you were walking out. There were many better shops in the city but that one was really handy if I was travelling up on the train.

• 10 years later...
On 12/16/2010 at 6:31 AM, ThaiLatic said:

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

One of the record shops in the arcade was called golden disc and the one in the market hall was called ma do s

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/16/2010 at 11:58 AM, steveoafc said:

Does anyone remember ma dobbs record shop on the perimeter of the old market hall ( probably early 70's ? ) ?

LOL, I bought my first LP from Ma Dobbs in 1972. T Rex's 'Electric Warrior', she let me have it for £1.30.

The only record shop I was familiar with in Manchester was Rare Records on John Dalton Street, between Cross Street and Deansgate. I bought just about every LP David Bowie released from 'Hunky Dory' to 'Station To Station' from there.