Latics on North West Tonight

I wonder whats the longest weve gone without a game in the middle of a season? (Looks at the members of the board a little longer in the tooth than me)

Last season we played one game between 18th December-20th January = 33 days. We've already gone 33 days up to Boxing Day, I reckon we won't play until the Swindon game. The longest, I'm sure Diego will confirm will be 62-63 season, awful winter with hardly any games played between December and March.

Last season we played one game between 18th December-20th January = 33 days. We've already gone 33 days up to Boxing Day, I reckon we won't play until the Swindon game. The longest, I'm sure Diego will confirm will be 62-63 season, awful winter with hardly any games played between December and March.

Out of interest what was 79 like too, Diego?

We beat Southport 11-0 that Boxing DAy.

Looking at the results we were one of the few teams to play regularly that winter. Anyone know the reason for that?

Was it just a case of playing on snow?

In '62 there were no games between 13th Jan and 3rd Feb = 21days.

In '63 the void was between Boxing Day and 19th Jan = 24 days.

Out of interest what was 79 like too, Diego?

In '79 Latics did not play after New Year's Day until Feb 10th = 40 days

In '47, when that picture of the stranded bus was taken at Moorside on 6th Feb, Latics played the following day and the biggest gap between games was 14 days in December before Christmas '46.

What has to be remembered is that they played on the snow (with blue pitch markings) and no thought was given for or by the supporters about the conditions, even on the open RRE. Men were men in them days, and everyone wore a flat cap and clogs.

5278638324_e44a43865e_z.jpg

The great Eric Gemmell, who scored seven goals, is thwarted by the Chester goalkeeper Threadgold during Latics 11-2 victory at BP on 19th January 1952 in front of a crowd of 13,458.

Picture courtesy of Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988 by Garth Dykes.

There isn't very much snow in Durham, and Hartlepool normally has better weather than Durham. Only problem is the temperatures- if it warms up a little bit the 'Pool game might be on (currently -7 in Durham), I can see us playing before the Swindon game but I wouldn't put money on it.

Hartlepool has its own weather system, and the ground never freezes due to the nuclear power station leaking. See last seasons snowstorms everywhere else and barely even a covering at Pools.

NB. Any matches called off are an elaborate lie for when they haven't shepherded the two headed, 13 fingered folk into the 'freak barn' (Wilkinsons) quickly enough.

Hartlepool has its own weather system, and the ground never freezes due to the nuclear power station leaking. See last seasons snowstorms everywhere else and barely even a covering at Pools.

NB. Any matches called off are an elaborate lie for when they haven't shepherded the two headed, 13 fingered folk into the 'freak barn' (Wilkinsons) quickly enough.

also the groundsmen over there had an advantage with their 6 arms

Anyone remeber when Latics had a frozen pitch and called in a tarmac burner to thaw the pitch.Took the whole of the grass off to get the game on cant remember who we played though. :blink:

Walsall, Christmas 2000? Drew 0-0 on an absolute skating rink and wrecked the pitch for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately if this happened or 4G, we will also see injuries increasing tenfold with it!!

Isn't it just a change in footwear required? Or are we talking friction injuries here? They are miles better than the old pitch we had, and the problems weren't awful then injurywise.

We'd save a fortune long-term in groundcare along with renting the ground (Failsworth) out, but there would be problems with, not least, the FA who are hellbent against it.

Even so, if the league were to allow it, it would be worth it by a mile - even losing all home FA Cup ties.