Southampton tonight

Sometimes you just have to hold up your hands and say you were well beaten by a much much better team.

We were totally outclassed in every area of the pitch, difficult to believe after watching the match that we are both in the same division, such was their superiority, still we won't be next season.

They will win this division with something to spare, they have some excellent players and will be a top end Championship team next season.

We just need to pick ourselves up and move on, it was only one game and only 3 points, we need a reaction from the players and to go to Plymouth on Saturday and come back with a result.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to hold your hands up we got slaughtered in every department.

Black was singled out and we were punished on several occasions. Only player that looked like they could match Southampton was Evina. Ok big mistake from Amos for one goal, but the gulf in class between him and Brill is huge, hope none of the muppets get on his back. Amos will be quality.

Losing 6-0 against a "bigger" team with a huge budget at this level, lets move on to the next game. it could be worse we could be a big club like Southampton, big fan base, state of the art stadium and playing Oldham in a three sided ground on a Tuesday night in Jan in league one! If I was a Southhampton fan I would still be buried under a rock, or supporting a bigger, more financially secure club like Portsmouth! :grin::grin:

It is interesting to read Blacks interview from last nights Chron, prior to the game.

It seems clear the game plan was exactly has some on here have described, get at them early.

According to those of you that went, seems that this did not happen, is the problem then that:

a) the players once they have crossed the line

B) or the captain for not re marshalling the troops

c) or the manager for the wrong game plan for his players ability?

Quote from the Chron

PAUL Black reckons it is vital that Athletic don’t give Southampton any room tonight.

..But Black — back in the Athletic side for the 2-0 Swindon victory after being dropped for the Rochdale derby — believes that if Athletic can marry their own talent with the enthusiasm of the kind shown in the 1-0 home win over another of the division’s big-spenders Huddersfield Town, then a second successive three points could be on the cards.

“I just want to play football and hopefully I can stay in the team now and help pick up a few more results, starting with Southampton,” said the 20-year-old.

“Southampton are doing well at the moment and they are a strong team, but Oldham is a tough place to come to.

“We get in the faces of teams — that is our game — and hopefully it can help us get a result.”

I am going for a combination of a & b, and hopefully PD realises the limitations of his teams ability and has a couple more signings up his sleeve.

With that result though, not many managers will be phoning him enquiring about our players.

Edited by singe

sometimes you simply have to hold your hands up and accept it when you get ripped a new one. Perhaps if we'd been right in their faces from the off we might have competed. Instead we opted to ball watch and slip on our arses a lot and not touch the ball before they scored the first. From then on despite a bit of huff and puffing we were outclassed all over the field and tbh given their budget so they should. Still a reet tonking though and this is Dicky's first real test now - sometimes you can be too attacking and I think we'd benefit from bringing Lewi (when fit) and Jones back into the left and right midfield spots just to enable us to tighten up. The strikers need a shake up too, Tonk has been poor imo since the break so let's shake it up a bit just to try and get that impetus back.

I'm a bit worried now, young players' confidence is fragile they'll need picking up and quick because a tonking like tonight could be season changing BUT Southampton are a one-off at this level and a team of giants and you only have to look at their bench.

Was going to bypass this site today as I thought it was going to be doom and gloom but nice one Prozac for posting something sensible ,

fans around us last night were acting as if we had just let Chadderton school boys put 6 past us , they just couldnt see how good Soton, whether thats just blue glasses or ignorance I dont know , I was more pee'd off with some fans last night than the game , glad no one booed

Since Exeter discovered our weaker points, it seems everyone wants to exploit them. Soton did it superbly.

Black didn't know whether he was marking Lambert or Chamberlain most of the time, as they both attacked him incessantly. I'm not going to defend Black at all, because I don't think he gets tight enough to his man, but he needed some help out there and didn't get it.

Saints were outstanding, and created their chances by spreading us the full width of the pitch, allowing the central players to get through the middle of the park and pick up simple knock backs from the lightning fast wingers. I only wish that we would spread teams wider ourselves (Like Rick Holden and Neil Adams used to do) as we have the players (Evina and Morais) to do it, but seem more content with trying to walk the ball through packed midfields.

Gone was the quick first time passing from earlier in the season, with Stephens taking far too long on the ball, and gone were the quick one-two's that Kieran Lee interchanged with Furman and Stephens.

Contrary to what some have said, I thought Taylor was the only player who gave 100% last night, though Trotman could possibly still hold his head up. Paul Dickov now needs to go through the videos from earlier in the season with the team, and try to rebuild their confidence by reminding them what they are capable of.

We should emulate Southamptons style of pressuring teams into losing possession, and attacking fullbacks with quick passing and width - we might not have the quality of players that they have, but it's a style that we are capable of playing, and a proven way of picking up points in this division. That said, you need guys who can find the net - and that seems to be a problem for our current forwards.

Bookies wouldnt give odd's at half time on 5-0 Southampton. Even had the girl phoning up for odd's. Was rather pleased when the 6th went in as i'd of been annoyed how much i'd missed out on otherwise.

Southampton were a class above anything else we've seen this season - that said it still doesnt excuse the fact no professional side should be getting thumped by 6 at home to a team in the same division. It's simply not acceptable.

Basic Basic mistakes yet again - same every single week it seems. Lack of idea, too slow on the counter, no plan b and you could see from the opening five minutes Southampton were bigger, stronger, fitter than us yet nothing was done to combat it till the game was out of reach.

I hope Dean Brill was sat in the stands with a smug grin on his face when that 2nd went in.

You can praise Southampton till your hearts content but the facts are, we were poor tonight. Really poor. Men against boys!

What odd's are Southampton to win the league?

Sums it up for me - and add to that an inability to take our chances when they come along.

I would be willing to bet that Southampton will not score 6 away from home again this season and also that they do win the league. As for us - we are and have been all season, a mid table team - let's hope we bounce back at Plymouth as I am there... :huh:

Since Exeter discovered our weaker points, it seems everyone wants to exploit them. Soton did it superbly.

Black didn't know whether he was marking Lambert or Chamberlain most of the time, as they both attacked him incessantly. I'm not going to defend Black at all, because I don't think he gets tight enough to his man, but he needed some help out there and didn't get it.

Saints were outstanding, and created their chances by spreading us the full width of the pitch, allowing the central players to get through the middle of the park and pick up simple knock backs from the lightning fast wingers. I only wish that we would spread teams wider ourselves (Like Rick Holden and Neil Adams used to do) as we have the players (Evina and Morais) to do it, but seem more content with trying to walk the ball through packed midfields.

Gone was the quick first time passing from earlier in the season, with Stephens taking far too long on the ball, and gone were the quick one-two's that Kieran Lee interchanged with Furman and Stephens.

Contrary to what some have said, I thought Taylor was the only player who gave 100% last night, though Trotman could possibly still hold his head up. Paul Dickov now needs to go through the videos from earlier in the season with the team, and try to rebuild their confidence by reminding them what they are capable of.

We should emulate Southamptons style of pressuring teams into losing possession, and attacking fullbacks with quick passing and width - we might not have the quality of players that they have, but it's a style that we are capable of playing, and a proven way of picking up points in this division. That said, you need guys who can find the net - and that seems to be a problem for our current forwards.

Excellent post - maybe it's time to give Holdsworth a chance at the back - and shake up the midfield? As for our strikers - still believe that Morais should be up alongside Tounkara with Taylor moved back wide - or even in the middle of the park?

'Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up' (*)

* Batman Begins (2005)

Looks like I picked the right game to see us play after two years!

Southampton were obviously better in every way - body language before the game started, size, strength, fitness, work rate and tactics. Sometimes the planets align and you get a spanking - anyone remember Oxford away the season we finished as champions? Oxford could have hit ten and we couldn't have complained. Point being it can happen, seem to remember it happening to Southampton last season.

However, our midfield was average to say the least. Stephens got caught in possession at least four times that I counted, a good player would pass quicker or turn out of trouble. Furman was fairly anonymous. Every time we got the ball it seemed like they had more players on the pitch, regularly four on two.

But I think Dickov has to take some responsibility. The defensive tactics were found out big time, we played narrow and gave them the wings and the width and they took full advantage. Thats why our full backs were given such a hard time, with balls pinged diagonally out past them. Most importantly, he didn't change it after half time. Southampton scored with every attack second half up to the fifth goal, pretty impressive finishing but a good indication that something isn't working properly.

Still enjoyed it though, once the gallows humour started. I though Taylor was our best player by a country mile - the only one who seemed bothered and up for it.

Didn't enjoy the booing at the end - what's the point?

Excellent post - maybe it's time to give Holdsworth a chance at the back - and shake up the midfield? As for our strikers - still believe that Morais should be up alongside Tounkara with Taylor moved back wide - or even in the middle of the park?

* Batman Begins (2005)

Gay :wink:

But I think the left side has been a problem for a very long time. We are to much of a lightweight on that side. We need to beef up ad be hard in the tackle instead of little powder puff tackles we have been doing recently.

When will dickov learn that Taylor is not a striker ? Play him on wing and give brooke or Kelly or dare I say feeny a chance. OR even better we could get a quality youngster on loan to fire goals in :)

Looks like I picked the right game to see us play after two years!

Southampton were obviously better in every way - body language before the game started, size, strength, fitness, work rate and tactics. Sometimes the planets align and you get a spanking - anyone remember Oxford away the season we finished as champions? Oxford could have hit ten and we couldn't have complained. Point being it can happen, seem to remember it happening to Southampton last season.

However, our midfield was average to say the least. Stephens got caught in possession at least four times that I counted, a good player would pass quicker or turn out of trouble. Furman was fairly anonymous. Every time we got the ball it seemed like they had more players on the pitch, regularly four on two.

But I think Dickov has to take some responsibility. The defensive tactics were found out big time, we played narrow and gave them the wings and the width and they took full advantage. Thats why our full backs were given such a hard time, with balls pinged diagonally out past them. Most importantly, he didn't change it after half time. Southampton scored with every attack second half up to the fifth goal, pretty impressive finishing but a good indication that something isn't working properly.

Still enjoyed it though, once the gallows humour started. I though Taylor was our best player by a country mile - the only one who seemed bothered and up for it.

Didn't enjoy the booing at the end - what's the point?

Great post

The difference between Oxford and last night is that Oxford was a single blip, whereas we have had 3 blips i the last 5 games. And not played well in any of them.

THat's the worry, have we lost momentum and enthusiasm?

Great post

The difference between Oxford and last night is that Oxford was a single blip, whereas we have had 3 blips i the last 5 games. And not played well in any of them.

Don't we always have blips this time of the season ?

Great post

At half time in the exeter match i was purring over our performance......since then it all appears to have gone tits up!

We look a shadow of the side we were earlier in the season....let's hope PD can restore confidence and get us back on track.

Southampton were the best team I have seen at BP for a long time.

Every player was bigger than ours, quicker than ours and they finished nearly all their chances (their best goal being the one that was disallowed.

We all know how good a finisher Lambert is I didn't realise he could create so much. The tactic to put him on one of our much smaller full backs then put the ball back in field was very basic but incredibly effective.

I took my dad last night. Poor bloke paid £20 for that.

No excuses for latics though. They needed to get amongst them and get stuck in. Taylor (yes, Taylor) was the only player that put his foot in last night.

Hopefully we bounce back. Our goal difference has taken a hammering their though.

As I have said many times before. Southampton are the best team in it and will finish top of the pile come the end of the season.

* Batman Begins (2005)

Have you seen Morais is past three performances?

To be fair Black was playing up against Chamberlin a player who Arsenal are chasing didn't they table a £6million bid?

Best side we have palyed in the 14 years in this division however they may not play that well again all season we may have met them tonight at their peak.

The only thing Dickov could have done differently tonight was go 5 in midfiled 2nd half and just try and stop Southampton playing but even then who did we have on the bench to come in to the middle of midfield and start ball winning?

Looks like Fergie was impressed with Chamberlin last night

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6658739,00.html

I took my dad last night. Poor bloke paid £20 for that.

With regards to moneys worth, I thought it was worth the £20 in the standard of football played. Sadly, it weren't by us.

When you play a team like Southampton, you need every player putting a maximum performance in, no players carried. You also need a bit of luck and take your chance when it comes along. We didn't do any of that and 6-0 (whilst it wasn't a 6-0 game) was a fair reflection in the gulf in class, quality and player salaries.

I don't think we particularly played much worse than on Saturday, but where Swindon had perhaps one player at a standard of a player like Ricky Lambert, Saints had 4 or 5 players of that standard or better. They were also, as has been said, complete monsters and bigger, more powerful players physically which didn't give us a moments peace on the ball. In all honesty, I found it quite inspiring how they played and worked off the ball. I love it when Oldham to do that to others as was the case when we played Huddersfield.

That said, I don't think it's a season-ending defeat, nor am I as astonished like I was after the 1-7 demolition by Cardiff. We're a young side and ironically this defeat could do them the world of good. I'll come back and edit this in 2 months when we've had a series of hammerings!

Gay :wink:

But I think the left side has been a problem for a very long time. We are to much of a lightweight on that side. We need to beef up ad be hard in the tackle instead of little powder puff tackles we have been doing recently.

When will dickov learn that Taylor is not a striker ? Play him on wing and give brooke or Kelly or dare I say feeny a chance. OR even better we could get a quality youngster on loan to fire goals in :)

Spot on Latics Lee.

I'm amazed Joe Jacobson has never figured in PDs plans, as he showed against Man Utd reserves and for Accrington last Saturday he is very good in the air, and could solve the vulnerability this season to far post crosses.

As for young striker, I hear Manchester City's Harry Bunn may be available on loan.

Edited by BP1960

Spot on Latics Lee.

I amazed Joe Jacobson has never figured in PDs plans, as he showed against Man Utd reserves and for Accrington last Saturday he is very good air, and could solve the vulnerability this season to far post crosses.

As for young striker, I hear Manchester City's Harry Bunn may be available on loan.

like Bunn dont you ? too small for this level I reckon

Edited by razza699

like Bunn dont you ? too small for this level I reckon

Have you seen him play ? quick, direct, two good feet, knows where the goal is, something badly lacking in the present Latics squad.

My bet is he will go out on loan soon and with all the Man City - Latics connections it would a be a shame if it wasn't here.

Edited by BP1960