Paul Black

whether he was at fault for the pen or not (and it was his challenge) Gordy and co reckon he dropped a bollock for the first - is he now the weak link? He's a young lad, but has hit a wall for me. We've got options at left-back, maybe time to use them. Wasn't there but Gordy was adamant he was at fault for the first and it's not the first time he's cost us recently...

whether he was at fault for the pen or not (and it was his challenge) Gordy and co reckon he dropped a bollock for the first - is he now the weak link? He's a young lad, but has hit a wall for me. We've got options at left-back, maybe time to use them. Wasn't there but Gordy was adamant he was at fault for the first and it's not the first time he's cost us recently...

Radio Cumbria rated Blacky, until I ask my mate who went I going to give him the benefit of the doubt

Likes attacking and I thought he did very well against Brentford recently, so my instinct is to say that I'd leave him be. Besides which, I'm not sure that he gets as much cover in matches as Lee does; Jones gives a decent run in defence (Exeter aside) whereas young lads like Evina and White, or converted centre-forwards like Alessandra could do more I reckon...

That said though, if Black is stalling then we could give him a spell out of the team. He's a young lad with promise and it wouldn't be game over for him if he were subbed out.

I didn't go today so I can't really judge but there have certainly been more than a few occasions this season where Black has struggled against an opponent, most notably Peterborough, Rochdale (away) and Southampton (home), I think Black being the weak link depends on the oppositions strong area, i.e imagine if Black came up against Taylor or Morais

Seen him play a lot this season and last, can't say i'v ever been comfortable with him as first choice LB he seems to get beaten more often than not and when going forward seems reluctant to run at players, preferring to cross from where he picks up the ball, although his crossing isn't terrible,

The guy did get past him for the first goal to get the cross in but it was the opposite corner from where were sat so didnt get a clear view, and no full back stops 100% of crosses during a game. He did well today though and did ok at Walsall. I think he's a decent left back with great potential, he hasn't been at his best in some games this season but thats when he's either had Evina playing in front of him (two kids with not much experience) and Morais or Alessandra who didnt really do much defensively. He's looked much better with Taylor playing in front of him again.

The guy did get past him for the first goal to get the cross in but it was the opposite corner from where were sat so didnt get a clear view, and no full back stops 100% of crosses during a game. He did well today though and did ok at Walsall. I think he's a decent left back with great potential, he hasn't been at his best in some games this season but thats when he's either had Evina playing in front of him (two kids with not much experience) and Morais or Alessandra who didnt really do much defensively. He's looked much better with Taylor playing in front of him again.

He looked very good until they scored today. I agree that Taylor offered a degree of protection, but Black had their winger in his pocket.

Then one got away and they scored a simple goal.

As for the penalty, rely on the telly for a better view. I thought it was in the box and probably a foul. But I was a diagonal length of the pitch away. Foul or not, it appeared to be a totally pointless place to make a tackle.

Edited by opinions4u

Is Black the weak link- probably. But in a lot of teams at this level LB is going to be the weak link because of the quality of the RW. He got torn a new one today but every time they got the ball second half that is where they went. Its like how he got torn a new one by Southampton, half the time it was because Lambert had pulled away to his side and was beating him in the air, (not his fault) the other half was due to a player who has been touted at £10million worth (not his fault).

Another thing if your midfield is right-footed then they will usually pass right, when we play someone with a left-footed person in the middle of midfield I'd fancy Lee to look like a possible weak link. Whilst Jacobsen looks better defensively I doubt Carlisle wouldn't have scored if he'd been playing, and Jacobsen doesn't offer anything like as much as Black does going forward. Perhaps today was a day where playing Evina in front of Black was the better option, allowing them to double up on their RW.

Although he was getting torn apart today at times he fought back well and deserves a lot of credit for that, some players might have completely folded.

Perhaps today was a day where playing Evina in front of Black was the better option, allowing them to double up on their RW.

I think Chris Taylor and Lewis Alessandra provide better protection to our left back than Evina or Morais. Taylor yesterday did the job rather well and Black looked far more assured until they scored.

And while Jones is by no means my favourite player he provides more solidity on the other side of the pitch.

Dickov needs to find the midfield balance between attacking flair and defensive strength. It's a tough one for him becasue while I thought he'd overdone the flair yesterday the way the game was panning out it looked like he'd picked the team to do the job.

Black was excellent today,yes I was there,and it certainly looked a poor pen decision.

1) It was in the box.

2) He made contact with the player.

3) He didn't make contact with the ball.

It was a brainless tackle on a player who was moving away from goal. Black should simply have got between their man and the post and sheperded him to the corner flag. He was going nowhere and the threat was rapidly receding after Amos had made a great save.

Edited by opinions4u

Give the lad a break. Black was gutted walking off that pitch yesterday, he knew that he gave away a needless penalty not matter how weak it was. Black had a decent game up until their lad gets passed him, crosses and it's in the net. So there you have it, two instances where we can say Black could have done better unfortunately for him both were punished. Earlier in the game Lee gave the ball away in a very dangerous situation but Carlisle failed to capitalise on it and now we are not mentioning it.

PD and GT will know that Black's slips cost us and yes during this week they will be working with Black on them, but for now they'll be trying to lift him up. If they feel Blacks head is still thinking about it come Tuesday night they'll rest him. We drew boys and girls and I felt sick like a defeat yesterday but now stop looking for a scapegoat. The pleasing thing is we've played better football this season yet we were making chances yesterday a plenty. Also PD is learning as he say's that's why Todd was brought on in an attempt to keep what we had, earlier in the season he wouldn't have done that.

Give the lad a break. Black was gutted walking off that pitch yesterday, he knew that he gave away a needless penalty not matter how weak it was. Black had a decent game up until their lad gets passed him, crosses and it's in the net. So there you have it, two instances where we can say Black could have done better unfortunately for him both were punished. Earlier in the game Lee gave the ball away in a very dangerous situation but Carlisle failed to capitalise on it and now we are not mentioning it.

PD and GT will know that Black's slips cost us and yes during this week they will be working with Black on them, but for now they'll be trying to lift him up. If they feel Blacks head is still thinking about it come Tuesday night they'll rest him. We drew boys and girls and I felt sick like a defeat yesterday but now stop looking for a scapegoat. The pleasing thing is we've played better football this season yet we were making chances yesterday a plenty. Also PD is learning as he say's that's why Todd was brought on in an attempt to keep what we had, earlier in the season he wouldn't have done that.

I don't think the issue is that Blacky's a bad player but he does have concentration issues (and to be fair so does his Captain)- maybe an aspect of being relatively young. He needs to stay switched on and would perhaps benefit from Taylor reverting back to the left where he looks much better in tandem. As does Lee when he's got Jones in front of him.

maybe an aspect of being relatively young...

It's certainly an aspect of being young, which is why he needs time and an element of forgiveness when he does mess up. I know it's right to discuss and question some players, part of the game and talking points. But the potential Black shows, his superb crossing of the ball, retention of possession and supreme fitness for getting up and down that touchline 20-30 times a game means to me he warrants a fair amount of patience. I think he'll come good, quite a few of our full backs usually do.

I don't think the issue is that Blacky's a bad player but he does have concentration issues (and to be fair so does his Captain)- maybe an aspect of being relatively young. He needs to stay switched on and would perhaps benefit from Taylor reverting back to the left where he looks much better in tandem. As does Lee when he's got Jones in front of him.

Which is where Taylor played yesterday.

And it worked. For most of the game.

Dickov doesn't seem to blame Blacky full stop. Listen to the BBC interveiw.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/9381036.stm

Not listened to it, but I would hope that Dickov is supportive of his players (individually) publicly, and isn't engendering a blame culture internally.

As for Black, he should know he had a fine game yesterday on the whole. If a winger gets passed you once in a game you're unlucky if it turns in to a goal. As for the penalty - learn from it. Same as the one Winchester gave away against Walsall. Pointless attempt to tackle when tiring - got it wrong - move on and improve.

Edited by opinions4u