An Example

Earlier today I made this post: here

It was my take on how big the world is and how insignificant a move of a few miles is. It's one I hope people will take time to consider when thinking about the future of Latics and the continued need to move away from BP.

I also want to raise another point.

For almost a decade I was a Manchester Storm Ice Hockey Club fan. The day that club 'died' was one of the worst of my life. I felt the pain of loss like losing a family member. I'd grown up with Storm. Of great memories watching them with my family and friends. Of my Dad taking me on a school night much the disdain of my Mum who'd have to drag me out of bed the following day.

I could go on.

I lost Storm. They folded due to financial difficulties and were reborn as Manchester Phoenix. I still feel an affinity to the club, however they play at a considerably lower level and due to changing from being a kid/student to an adult/full time worker I'm not really able to go anymore. I make it once or twice a year like I do to a Latics game. The club still means a lot to me though.

They moved. They moved from Manchester to Altricham. That's 8 miles. It's from a Manchester postcode to a Warrington postcode. It's from BP to Ashton or BP to Failsworth and back again.

I can assure you that those who felt the loss of losing Storm were not bothered one bit. To know the sport - thanks to efforts far beyond those of TTA - was to remain alive in the area was all that mattered.

They're not direct comparisons. They're an example.

Don't take for granted what you have and don't be blinded by a line on a map.

Ackey, you make a whole heap of sense, good on you.

Having spent hours reading these posts over the last few days about the latest events, there's one thing that binds everyone together:

We all really care about Latics.

Different opinions, different views and lots of banter.

Keep the faith.

:wink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolton Wanderers don't actually play in Bolton. They haven't done too badly since their move. Can't see peoples problems with moving a couple of miles whatsoever...

They play in Horwich, which is still in the borough of Bolton. It would be like us playing in Saddleworth.

My honest belief is that moving out of the town is not a big deal to those who don't live here. To those of us who do, it is a big deal and to move out of Oldham is unacceptable under any circumstances. To compare latics to a defunct ice hockey team is completely irrelevant - I just dont see any relevance in the analogy at all. Ice Hockey is nothing when compared to football; same as rugby, athletics, swimming or whatever other sport anyone cares to mention. There is nothing like football; football clubs represent the indentity of towns, cities and huge groups of people. Football affects peoples lives; my own weekends are pretty much ruined when latics get beat, and there are loads of other lads who I know who feel the same about their club.

If latics leave Oldham, Oldham will die with it.

They play in Horwich, which is still in the borough of Bolton. It would be like us playing in Saddleworth.

Saddleworth is in the borough of Oldham, i'd have no qualms about Oldham playing in Saddleworth, or anywhere else within a couple of miles of the town.

My honest belief is that moving out of the town is not a big deal to those who don't live here. To those of us who do, it is a big deal and to move out of Oldham is unacceptable under any circumstances. To compare latics to a defunct ice hockey team is completely irrelevant - I just dont see any relevance in the analogy at all. Ice Hockey is nothing when compared to football; same as rugby, athletics, swimming or whatever other sport anyone cares to mention. There is nothing like football; football clubs represent the indentity of towns, cities and huge groups of people. Football affects peoples lives; my own weekends are pretty much ruined when latics get beat, and there are loads of other lads who I know who feel the same about their club.

If latics leave Oldham, Oldham will die with it.

I dont live in the town or within the Oldham borough, but it means a big deal to me about the club maybe moving out of the oldham borough.

Bolton Wanderers don't actually play in Bolton. They haven't done too badly since their move. Can't see peoples problems with moving a couple of miles whatsoever...

If we move out of Oldham then it is not Oldham. It might be fine for you but it isn't for many others for that reason.

Heres some questions for everybody for everyone to consider?

1) MK Dons simply Wimbledon FC with a changed name? Or a brand new club that replaced Wimbledon FC?

2) Would a name change back to Pine Villa, which keeps within the history of the club, mean that you viewed the club as a new club with a new history, or the same club?

1. To me a new club. Massive relocation

2. Good question. My feeling at present is that it could be the same club. Now, if it was Tameside Pine Villa then would I feel the same? I don't think I could chant for Tameside Athletic. I started watching Latics because they were my local team, living in Shaw it was proper to have an affinity with Oldham Athletic. If Latics hadn't existed ..I may have gone to Rochdale .

BTW someone quite rightly pointed out that playing in Saddleworth would be playing in Oldham Metropolitan Borough. Quite right. But it would also mean our home ground in what's historically Yorkshire and that could make a few of us feel nauseous!

Edited by LaticsPete

It is very interesing the differences and perceptions. It clearly depends on the view of the opposition.

As rudemedic says, Boltons move 7 to 8 miles away (depending on route) to out of town. Very much opposed, but the lure of their history and being in PRemier League has seen oppostion fade.

Same Distance East is Uppermill. Not too far from Huddersfield but not much in the way of competition. Some opposition I would summise,if ever the land could be found (not at those prices!)

Same distance North (well just a shade over 6 miles) is Spotland. And another world. Not pallatable at all.

Same distance West (well south West) is well past MAchester City, and the outer reaches of Manchester City Centre. Suicidal.

Same distance South is outer Ashton or Dukinfield, competing with Stalybridge, Hyde. Not natural Latics territory though some fans from glory days I am sure.

Saddleworth the only viable option from a competition point of view, but completely out from a cost point of view.

Not much choice there, whereas the Reebok is not really near anything, but people clearly travel.

Earlier today I made this post: here

It was my take on how big the world is and how insignificant a move of a few miles is. It's one I hope people will take time to consider when thinking about the future of Latics and the continued need to move away from BP.

I also want to raise another point.

For almost a decade I was a Manchester Storm Ice Hockey Club fan. The day that club 'died' was one of the worst of my life. I felt the pain of loss like losing a family member. I'd grown up with Storm. Of great memories watching them with my family and friends. Of my Dad taking me on a school night much the disdain of my Mum who'd have to drag me out of bed the following day.

I could go on.

I lost Storm. They folded due to financial difficulties and were reborn as Manchester Phoenix. I still feel an affinity to the club, however they play at a considerably lower level and due to changing from being a kid/student to an adult/full time worker I'm not really able to go anymore. I make it once or twice a year like I do to a Latics game. The club still means a lot to me though.

They moved. They moved from Manchester to Altricham. That's 8 miles. It's from a Manchester postcode to a Warrington postcode. It's from BP to Ashton or BP to Failsworth and back again.

I can assure you that those who felt the loss of losing Storm were not bothered one bit. To know the sport - thanks to efforts far beyond those of TTA - was to remain alive in the area was all that mattered.

They're not direct comparisons. They're an example.

Don't take for granted what you have and don't be blinded by a line on a map.

I use to work opposite the MEN Arena and got to know a few of the Storm fans. I saw a few games but it was never my cup of tea i saw there crowds go from 10,000 down. However i will never forget the Sunday evening when they had a mass protest way it caught us all out the blue but the level of support shown that day was impressive.

I think some people are missing the point regards a lot of the gripes with failsworth. It's not such a problem that were moving (possibly) to failsworth, more that were moving to the very edge of the borough into an area full of city/united fans. When Bolton moved to the Reebok they were still moving to another area full of Bolton fans. We aren't. We're goin to be stuck in enemy territory.

Well, that's my gripe with it anyway.