Areas for a New Stadium in Oldham

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It shows that clubs can manage on less than 10 acres though Dave.

I'm not sure about that at all. They have lurched from financial crisis to crisis and now the RFL own half the stadium. I'd put Spotland as a model of how not to do it. Its really hemmed in too, no opportunity to expand and the traffic is a nightmare.

It shows that clubs can manage on less than 10 acres though Dave.

Dear me, will we be able to add all the things we need to make money 365 days of the year i.e. offices, food, etc etc? What is the point of building on a site so small that any expansion or add ons would require moving again.

This move is about more than just 4 stands and a football pitch. We need a ground that is making money to cover the losses the football side makes.

Dear me, will we be able to add all the things we need to make money 365 days of the year i.e. offices, food, etc etc? What is the point of building on a site so small that any expansion or add ons would require moving again.

This move is about more than just 4 stands and a football pitch. We need a ground that is making money to cover the losses the football side makes.

Whilst I know that BP1960 appears to keep beating on about needing far less than 30 acres, a Stadium can be built on around 10 acres etc – I’d hope it is with the train of thought that me, Ed & and a fair few other are having; that of 2 separate sites......on at the Lancaster club that has the 3G/4G pitches, Offices, Restaurant / Chain Pub etc on it, and the other with the Ground and Club offices on it.........

If it isn’t and it’s just merely building a stadium and that is it; then I give up – as I don’t know how many times someone will have to say that we simply cannot just build a ground; as we need the ‘extras’ to give us the 'through the week' income streams that we currently don’t bring in......

Whilst I know that BP1960 appears to keep beating on about needing far less than 30 acres, a Stadium can be built on around 10 acres etc – I’d hope it is with the train of thought that me, Ed & and a fair few other are having; that of 2 separate sites......on at the Lancaster club that has the 3G/4G pitches, Offices, Restaurant / Chain Pub etc on it, and the other with the Ground and Club offices on it.........

If it isn’t and it’s just merely building a stadium and that is it; then I give up – as I don’t know how many times someone will have to say that we simply cannot just build a ground; as we need the ‘extras’ to give us the 'through the week' income streams that we currently don’t bring in......

Nothing is clear...

To me we was getting a stadium out of the deal to move to Failsworth. The plans showed the stadium could contain office space, a pub and maybe some extras like conference facilities. This would all be contained in the stadium and would give us our own income. The rest of the site would be developed for the benefit of others.

So we, in my mind anyway, could build on a smaller site (planning outstanding) but it has to be viable for the other things for other interests.

I know none of this as fact. I am just going off the bits of information I have seen over the years.

Maybe I am wrong... Maybe the whole development would of benefited Latics. Maybe someone in charge could point it out.

Edited by oafc0000

alexandra retail park is a no-no, had this reply from AH

Thanks for your email

The land you are on about is land that is in private ownership and land that was too expensive for Ikea to purchase hence their move into Ashton.

The listed building you mention would cost more to renovate than to build a brand new facility and that is why the Council have not been able to dispose of it even for the token payment of £1.

It was a site that was considered but quickly discounted.

At the risk of being accused of picking on him...perhaps BP1960 is using Droylsden as a model?

Hey Pete, their social club is a goldmine, packed before the match, at half time and many stay on after the match.

A few even watch the game :wink:

clearly not.....

clearly not what????

the council cocked em both up.....just like they cocked up the town centre and the once world renowned tommyfield market..fact....the only thing oldham council have been consistant with over the years is the doing down of the town,and all thats inside it.

alexandra retail park is a no-no, had this reply from AH

Thanks for your email

The land you are on about is land that is in private ownership and land that was too expensive for Ikea to purchase hence their move into Ashton.

Wonder if the land value has fallen since then however?

How many acres is Chesterfields ?h

I have been to Yeovil's new ground and theres nothing except a stadium there, that has got to be less than 10 acres.

Many current stadiums cover far less than 10 acres, just look at Rochdale's, and they seem to manage.

10 acre for Stadium, overall its 22 acres with tesco, kfc etc their..

40 acres

according to chesterfield fishul. 8 acres for the stadium, 40 for academy, pitches etc

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/page/NewS...~184993,00.html

I keep seeing this theme on your posts BP1960, the actual pitch might be small, but the rest car parking etc needs to much bigger, and we need some things on site.

I know that the idea of developing other sites has bene floated but there seems to be a need for some of the items a footbal stadium needs

Interesting that is 2004, it still took them almost 6 years.

That was a old different project by the looks off it.. found article on their website other day, it said 10 acres for the ground, and the entire area its located on is 22 acres.. Here's the link for the 22 acre bit..

A significant point is that the other people on the site (Tescos etc) will have shared in the cost of the development . And Tesco will be a much bigger player than a hotel or leisure facility.

The East Mids Development Agency will also have contributed a wodge.

I'm not challenging the point that a grond can be on a relatively small footprint but it's a lot easier if surrounding infrastructure is funded by others.

Alternatively ...

Ten Acres Stadium?

Edited by LaticsPete

A significant point is that the other people on the site (Tescos etc) will have shared in the cost of the development . And Tesco will be a much bigger player than a hotel or leisure facility.

The East Mids Development Agency will also have contributed a wodge.

I'm not challenging the point that a grond can be on a relatively small footprint but it's a lot easier if surrounding infrastructure is funded by others.

well why don't we try and do that then. obviously not tesco because there's a couple nearby but chains like that to get some money in we don't have

Ashton in shopping centre.

Rochdale on Drake Street.

The Dale one is probably as naff as it was 15 years ago, never been to the Ashton one. I think Oldham could provide a big enough catchment area for a Marks' and its up there with brands/stores missing from Oldham, but they've just spent a decent chunk of money (probably) on their new one in Bury.