A Statement from Oldham Council

Statement was found by Saddleworth News

Find them to be a very good source for local info, much better than the Chron most of the time. Well worth keeping an eye on.

Good to hear the council have not given up and are looking to find a solution to this rather than mud-slinging in the press. I look forward to hear what the next step is.

Well i read it as -

The football club knew the risks involved so we wont be making any financial settlements to them ,

however we will try our best to find an alternative solution that doesn't cost the tax payer any money !!!!

Exactly. Admitting no blame what so ever. The implication in the statement is saying we told Latics this is not cast iron and may not come to pass but Latics officials insisted we plough on regardless. so we said ok we'll help out as best we can, come on lets do it! Now it turns out it's a no go we had our reservations from the off and told Latics this at the time, however we are here now so again we (the council) will try anything possible to help. Hope you all understand.

How is it bull:censored:?

because they have towed the party line and come out with a pretty bog standard statement...

they are obviously not going to say no we want you to move out of the area are they..of course there going to say were important for us them and the town...but they wont be offering any compensation as we knew the risks...

Well i read it as -

The football club knew the risks involved so we wont be making any financial settlements to them ,

however we will try our best to find an alternative solution that doesn't cost the tax payer any money !!!!

Pretty much as I read it too. Certainly distancing themselves from previous murmurs for legal action against them. I wouldn't like to say what would happen should the club and council lock horns in the courtroom but I dare say it would be messy, and probably wouldn't result in a positive solution where our ground is concerned. It looks to me that the club's only options are work with them to try and push this Failsworth project through, approach Tameside council for a solution on Ashton Moss or the club simply goes into admin with Corney walking off counting losses and licking wounds.

Statement was found by Saddleworth News

Find them to be a very good source for local info, much better than the Chron most of the time. Well worth keeping an eye on.

Saddleworth news is excellent. The founder of it moved to the area a year ago and does it just as a hobby really.

Exactly. Admitting no blame what so ever. The implication in the statement is saying we told Latics this is not cast iron and may not come to pass but Latics officials insisted we plough on regardless. so we said ok we'll help out as best we can, come on lets do it! Now it turns out it's a no go we had our reservations from the off and told Latics this at the time, however we are here now so again we (the council) will try anything possible to help. Hope you all understand.

so now it's the club's fault?

looks like the council realise that the town needs a club so will help out and stop us moving away

because they have towed the party line and come out with a pretty bog standard statement...

they are obviously not going to say no we want you to move out of the area are they..of course there going to say were important for us them and the town...but they wont be offering any compensation as we knew the risks...

They're working to sort this problem out. In the best interests of OAFC and the Council. That'll do for me.

We could have ignored the Trust status issue and been landed in the same position as we are now.

It's now coming out that Failsworth wasn't the only viable option open despite what has been said. Failsworth is the site OAFC preferred, how can the council be blamed for something OAFC decided upon?

Usual bull:censored: from the council...

Nonetheless, as a Local Authority we should not use Council Taxpayers’ money and resources to assist in the running of a football club.

No, but you SHOULD be using council Taxpayers money to support the leasure and commercial opportunities in town, that has become a :censored: tip largely thanks to your failures...

Words can not describe how much I hate the twats :ranting:

Had to rant after reading that :censored:. Specially about the Rugby, as if it was some sort of feather in the councils cap after they where totally screwed over by them in the first place.

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Edited by oafc0000

Pretty much as I read it too. Certainly distancing themselves from previous murmurs for legal action against them. I wouldn't like to say what would happen should the club and council lock horns in the courtroom but I dare say it would be messy, and probably wouldn't result in a positive solution where our ground is concerned. It looks to me that the club's only options are work with them to try and push this Failsworth project through, approach Tameside council for a solution on Ashton Moss or the club simply goes into admin with Corney walking off counting losses and licking wounds.

why approach tameside?????? and corney has stated many many times he wont put us into admin....

the next step will be the council WILL come up with an alternative site inside the borough....and push the big regeneration idea as a way of saving face over its :censored:ty handling of this latest fiasco.....the club will accept this instead os suing the council for losses and costs....

the club should now look to sell chapel road.....and move its training hq to the lancaster club....which already has excellent facilities...they can also if choose to redevelop lancaster club for extra income,while the council come up with the perfect site.

There is absolutely no way we will ever move to Failsworth - even if the council get the Charity Commission to approve its plans, FRAG will appeal and appeal and appeal. And Latics nor the Council have the money or time or manpower to see it through.

It was a :censored: idea in the first place.

The majority of the fans didn't want to go to Failsworth. Many just accepted it very reluctantly.

The majority of the local residents didn't want us there.

The local councillors and the local MP didn't want us there.

And we were never ever going to get permission to piss about with a memorial to war dead.

I blame the board at OAFC as much as I blame the Charity Commission and the OMBC.

Edited by Yard Dog

”We know how important this club is to the Borough. We are also acutely aware of the financial pressures that it is facing and we are mindful that club officials have to make their own decisions accordingly in that context. The Council is not fully appraised – and nor should we be – of the details of club’s day-to-day financial challenges. Nonetheless, as a Local Authority we should not use Council Taxpayers’ money and resources to assist in the running of a football club.

Do you know what...why shouldn't they? Im clearly biased but surely it benefits the community.

I know feelings are running high, but I can't help but nod at each and every point on this post.

Yep agree with all that! It certainly can't be 100% all the councils fault, and if you get into bed with people on "promises made" well..............

Yep agree with all that! It certainly can't be 100% all the councils fault, and if you get into bed with people on "promises made" well..............

Agree the council has been at fault in parts of the process BUT:-

Did the council announce the ambitious scheme at Ferney Field before withdrawing?

Did the council announce an OVERLY ambitious £80m scheme for BP in February 2006 and take until the spring/summer of 2007 to get it before the planning committee? (Ok Bashforth and cronies delayed it by about 4 months granted)

Was it the council that knocked down The Lookers Stand, how bad a state was that stand in? It was only 35 years old when it was demolished?

Did the council force them to buy the Lancaster Club?

Has the council ORDERED the club to leave the town?

Did the council make CAST-IRON GUARANTEES on any of the schemes above? Or were people guilty of taking people's word at face value, TIME AND TIME AGAIN?

Edited by oafcprozac

Agree the council has been at fault in parts of the process BUT:-

Did the council announce the ambitious scheme at Ferney Field before withdrawing?

Did the council announce an OVERLY ambitious £80m scheme for BP in February 2006 and take until the spring/summer of 2007 to get it before the planning committee? (Ok Bashforth and cronies delayed it by about 4 months granted)

Was it the council that knocked down The Lookers Stand, how bad a state was that stand in? It was only 35 years old when it was demolished?

Did the council force them to buy the Lancaster Club?

Has the council ORDERED the club to leave the town?

Did the council make CAST-IRON GUARANTEES on any of the schemes above? Or were people guilty of taking people's word at face value, TIME AND TIME AGAIN?

I know the TTA's dream was to make some money and leave us with a shiny new ground leaving as our knights in shining armour. However they have either been badly advised at every turn or are incredibly naive and too trusting….

”We know how important this club is to the Borough. We are also acutely aware of the financial pressures that it is facing and we are mindful that club officials have to make their own decisions accordingly in that context. The Council is not fully appraised – and nor should we be – of the details of club’s day-to-day financial challenges. Nonetheless, as a Local Authority we should not use Council Taxpayers’ money and resources to assist in the running of a football club.

Do you know what...why shouldn't they? Im clearly biased but surely it benefits the community.

LOL They have been quite happy to sepnd taxpayers money on extortionate bonuses,whacking great big pensions and truely princely salries for the last 30 years .Its not on its won but oldham council has been a huge feckin taxpayers black hole for decades,they make me physically sick,they are as bad as the banks.

LOL They have been quite happy to sepnd taxpayers money on extortionate bonuses,whacking great big pensions and truely princely salries for the last 30 years .Its not on its won but oldham council has been a huge feckin taxpayers black hole for decades,they make me physically sick,they are as bad as the banks.

All councils are the similar, squirecat. I don't think Oldham are any worse than most other councils up north. We're dealt a pretty :censored: hand in that we don't have masses of easily-developable land like Rochdale and Ashton. Our land is in parcels here and there, or it's locked in by residential buildings, or it's hilly as :censored:, or it's contaminated, or it's protected.

And most of the middle and top tiers of the council management (the decision-makers) just flit around working for different authorities - moving from one council to the next to the next. The people working at Oldham will have been working for other authorities previously.

Edited by Yard Dog

All councils are the similar, squirecat. I don't think Oldham are any worse than most other councils up north. We're dealt a pretty :censored: hand in that we don't have masses of easily-developable land like Rochdale and Ashton. Our land is in parcels here and there, or it's locked in by residential buildings, or it's hilly as :censored:, or it's contaminated, or it's protected.

And most of the middle and top tiers of the council management (the decision-makers) just flit around working for different authorities - moving from one council to the next to the next. The people working at Oldham will have been working for other authorities previously.

my post still stands/