RIP Osama Bin Laden

Oh, I'm sure that means that the world can "calm down dear".

Troops can come home.

Afghanistan and Pakistan will become tranquil tourist destinations.

A huge Islam / Christian love-in will commence.

Or some other nutters will carry on the fight ...

It's a victory of sorts, but a hollow one after so long despite still being target number one. Having located him, there had to be no question about what to do.

I really wouldn't want to be among allied forces in Afghanistan right now. Moreso than normal. I expect there will also be a new campaign against western targets - but they take longer to plan, so all we can hope in the meantime is that our security services stay lucky and none of those plans come to fruition.

I really wouldn't want to be among allied forces in Afghanistan right now. Moreso than normal. I expect there will also be a new campaign against western targets - but they take longer to plan, so all we can hope in the meantime is that our security services stay lucky and none of those plans come to fruition.

Last Friday top US officers warned of a major Taliban offensive that would start this week.

On Saturday the Taliban announced that they would launch their 'spring offensive' against the Afghan government and Coalition and Afghan forces starting yesterday.

The Taliban primary targets would be "foreign invading forces, members of their spy networks and (other) spies, high-ranking officials of the Kabul Puppet Administration, both military and civilian, members of the cabinet, members of the parliament, heads of foreign and local companies working for the enemy and contractors, and members of the Afghan High Peace Council”.

The Taliban offensive is to focus on "military centres, places of gatherings, airbases, ammunition and logistical military convoys of the foreign invaders in all parts of the country." The Taliban said that their tactics would include "group and martyrdom seeking attacks" or suicide attacks and assaults; "group offensives" or massed assaults; "city attacks"; ambushes and IED attacks.

Some justice done for those that have suffered , especially 9/11 and 7/7 so that im pleased about, however i wouldnt be celebrating too much at ground zero , certainly wouldnt be over the moon if i was on the frontline in Afghan, Iraq, Somalia etc. But had to be done , lets just hope theres no major consequences

He was always ve straw man who they linked to everything under the sun, in truth he was nothing like as important as themw made out. The taliban were all set to hand him over to the saudis until clinton bombed the :censored: out of them, it wont make a blind bit of difference to afghans not liking foreigners taking charge of their neighbourhoods. I'm not sorry the bloke is dead but it wont change much. If only the saudis had listened to his scheme to improve the sewers in riyadh

Watching the news earlier..... Seeing all the yanks jumping around in the cities chanting USA USA. If u mute the tv and imagine the odd one slapping himself on his head with a flipflop it looks like any of a countless number of flag burning demos in the middle east. The aliens must be watching from theirs spaceships and thinking what a set of retards we all are.....

I dont think they were ever going to give him up though. Their message was - stop boming us, we're doomed and going to lose everything we've been fighting for so pleeeeeease stop bombing us. But first - you have to prove that he was behind 9/11. To our satisfaction. To our deranged medieval minds. Which could take, like years, all the time while you're not bombing us and we can go about being dicks and doing what we want. And then in the unlikely event that you provide proof that we actually believe, because we all know it was done by yourselves or Israel but not ever by the people we've been training here in terror camps then we will hand him over. But not to you. To a 3rd country. A country that wont hand him over to the US.

To be honest though, we dont even know where he is at the moment but will you please stop bombing us. etc etc etc

Glad he's dead!

Go on.........???

I think that the article carries a note that things are not as straightforward as some media will make out.

There were several alternatives to the hide and seek game the US played. They played it due to their reliance on the Military's activity for their economic stability.

Guest Scratch2000uk

You can't blame the Americans for being unwilling to bow down to the Talibans demands for the cessation of bombings and evidence implicating Bin Laden in the 9/11 attacks, given the date of the article. :o

You can't blame the Americans for being unwilling to bow down to the Talibans demands for the cessation of bombings and evidence implicating Bin Laden in the 9/11 attacks, given the date of the article. :o

I'm not suggesting it's black and white. I'm suggesting there were always alternatives.

The Americans, and many others, would have the public believe this was a noble quest through the desert to catch a killer. In reality it was nothing like that. There were always diplomatic angles available which they rejected (carpet bombing innocent Afghanis doesn't seem to me like an especially good tactic in finding one man... the fact it didn't work for ten years means I'm going to say I'm correct.

The American economy is still built on the Military Industrial Complex (http://www.militaryindustrialcomplex.com/2011-totals.asp) and the Afghan war was part of that.

The American economy is still built on the Military Industrial Complex (http://www.militaryindustrialcomplex.com/2011-totals.asp) and the Afghan war was part of that.

I agree but it isn't anything new, military has been big business for years, and even though no excuse, ancient civilisations were doing it long before the US. What is new, is people caring about the human damage.