OWTB TO GO INDIE

Well done OWTB. It would have been a tough decision to become unofficial again, but it clearly is going to benefit the members here by doing so.

I am pretty disappointed that the club wanted to stop free speech on here. Moderation should only be used for offensive, antagonistic, or illegal posts. Not because the club don't like what some members think of the club. Thankfully the mods at OWTB have shown their dedication to the well being of the forum, and not taken the easy toe-the-line path. Thanks guys.

My take is that it is not so much what people think of the club, more a case of a senior club official taking exception to members' opinions over how said individual is running the club and the policy of 'Laticnomics' that pervades everything or the lack of anything being done to give us a fighting chance of being a success on and off the field….the same policy of 'Laticnomics' that means that they consistently dismiss the many good ideas put forward...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that it is not so much what people think of the club, more a case of a senior club official taking exception to members' opinions over how said individual is running the club and the policy of 'Laticnomics' that pervades everything or the lack of anything being done to give us a fighting chance of being a success on and off the field….the same policy of 'Laticnomics' that means that they consistently dismiss the many good ideas put forward...

+1

so lets see how long they continue to bury there heads in the sand....the clubs fans will always speak loudest and voice there concerns and displeasure at whats percieved as a lack of communication and forward momentum....

i think they have missed a trick here altogether...because some of the ideas that are thrown about on here are very decent,and considering the club have no will or desire to market itself,free ideas of plans that could work wont be tapped into..

if you put yourself on pedastals,we are the owners,we are the trust we are the board...then you have to be prepared to be shot at.....certain people inside the club are holding it back,always have been and always will be....

big well done for going it alone again...long may it continue and lets hope we get back to how we used to be,before big brother tried muscling in

Bang on, it would appear that peoples opinons have been the catalyst for them feeling the need to pull out.

If expressions of dissatisfaction can't be aired then this site would've been a nightmare to moderate anyway... People would've been banned left right and centre and no post airing any grievance towards the Club allowed would've made it ridiculously dull... Fellow Tics have a tool here to put their point across and wether they be right or wrong everyone deserves to give their own thoughts.

Or the 'we can't do this because....' mentality

OWTB today officially served notice to Oldham Athletic to cease operating as the club's official fans' forum.

The decision follows an upgrade to OWTB, which, following diligent efforts by OWTB, the Club, and PTV, has affected OWTB's ability to host the advertising banners which raise money for the club. This has been a frustrating issue for all concerned.

OWTB shall continue to operate as an independent site and, in regaining its independence, OWTB shall endeavour to raise funds through sponsorship, with these to be channeled wholly into community projects associated with the club.

An issue which has been of particular concern to OWTB is increased pressure from the club with regard to site moderation, including objections to some questions raised by fans in what we believe should be a public arena, subject only to minimal moderation. Whilst we understand the club’s interest in moderation, this was something we resisted as it was not a direction that OWTB, as the fans’ forum, felt comfortable with and it does not reflect our agreement with the club. OWTB looks forward to independence of moderation and a new impetus to restore the site to the quality enjoyed by its members in the past. We are all too aware that the site has become somewhat stagnant in recent times and the site staff are excited by the prospect of addressing that and making OWTB a far more enjoyable experience for Oldham Athletic fans.

Terminating the agreement has been a decision which was not taken lightly and we are hopeful that it will be to the benefit of all parties, particularly OWTB members and the community projects we look to support.

Thank you for your continued support of OWTB.

ok so what will the site be known as how will we log on and post messages any info please. It would be good to be part of a lively regular laticminded debate.

ok so what will the site be known as how will we log on and post messages any info please. It would be good to be part of a lively regular laticminded debate.

Nothings really changed, you still come here to post etc. The site won't change it's just not officialy linked to the club anymore.

Nothings really changed, you still come here to post etc. The site won't change it's just not officialy linked to the club anymore.

That's right. No change to the members' use of the site at all, except that it won't be accessible via a link on the official site (unless they decide to retain the link, rather than launching an official forum).

Couple of brief points as I'm on my phone:

1. If you have ideas on how OWTB can make money please feel free to come forward. We will listen to any sensible options. Please remember though that we have limited/no capital to do things right now.

2. Podcasts were produced by OWTB at one point. Briefly. I loved doing them but we were limited both by the official tag and also the time involved. It honestly hadn't occurred to me to revive them. I'll look into it.

2. Podcasts were produced by OWTB at one point. Briefly. I loved doing them but we were limited both by the official tag and also the time involved. It honestly hadn't occurred to me to revive them. I'll look into it.

We could do this, as long as they aren't the two hour marathons they used to be. If we were to carry on this idea, I'd like to see it at around a snappy 20-30 minutes. It makes the editing easier and it stretches out the topics - of which it was always a bind to come up with new ones only to exhaust them in one sitting.

We could do this, as long as they aren't the two hour marathons they used to be. If we were to carry on this idea, I'd like to see it at around a snappy 20-30 minutes. It makes the editing easier and it stretches out the topics - of which it was always a bind to come up with new ones only to exhaust them in one sitting.

I'd like to see the podcast return. They were a good listen.

Couple of brief points as I'm on my phone:

1. If you have ideas on how OWTB can make money please feel free to come forward. We will listen to any sensible options. Please remember though that we have limited/no capital to do things right now.

Re 1.) Donations, if a couple of quid from each poster stops the site going out of business I would donate. Give people naff "legends" and charge to change (I know you did something like this previously but the legends were not so naff). An official OWTB social, with entry fee; part of the enjoyment of the last couple of away trips for me has been meeting the odd person off here. More Merchandise, if the new kit is as naff as the latest ones have been then I would be tempted (although maybe you don't have the funding for the initial start-up costs). A swear jar, with a range of costs depending on the expletive used.

Re 1.) Donations, if a couple of quid from each poster stops the site going out of business I would donate. Give people naff "legends" and charge to change (I know you did something like this previously but the legends were not so naff). An official OWTB social, with entry fee; part of the enjoyment of the last couple of away trips for me has been meeting the odd person off here. More Merchandise, if the new kit is as naff as the latest ones have been then I would be tempted (although maybe you don't have the funding for the initial start-up costs). A swear jar, with a range of costs depending on the expletive used.

No idea if it would make any money, but a "Donate Now" type banner to help fund the site. I'd donate the occasional fiver ... saves me having to talk to the wife!

I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of people donating. For me it's either everyone does or no one does.

That said, please feel free to buy us a pint if you every bump into us :wink:

I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of people donating. For me it's either everyone does or no one does.

That said, please feel free to buy us a pint if you every bump into us :wink:

Well if anybody's near Leicester Square at around 5.30pm I'm sure I could sneak a swift half through on expenses :) .

Other forums, such as Tranmere's I think, charge for a 'premium membership' which allows certain additional features. For example PMs, avatars and viewing profiles etc. Then it's still free if you just want to post and nothing else.

Not sure I'm fond of the concept but just thought I'd mention it.

I hadn't realised you were familiar with the concept of 'Buying a pint' :wink:

Standard diversionary tactic from OOTB there. :wink:

O4U - I'm having my hair cut and voting on the future of our electoral system tonight. Thanks for the kind offer though :grin: