OWTB TO GO INDIE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should have a donation banner. I only just realised that sites such as this one don't cost nothing.

I suppose the worry is that some donors or contributors will start acting like they own the place, expecting special privileges in the form of moderation leniency and asking for people with whom they disagree to be banned and so on. But you can afford to lose them.

Donations were part of the way OWTB was funded in the past. Well, it reduced the amount of money Rummy lost in funding it at least.

It's something we'd consider if it was required but I think we'd all rather avoid it where possible.

I could set you up an OWTB (nothing to do with PlayerShare) web shop if you like :wink: !

Very grateful for the offer, but that would detract from the good work you're doing to get the Playershare fund built up.

Thank you though,

From experience on other forums, I firmly believe a subscription option is a bad idea because it creates a two-tier system of members, with an 'elite' of subscribers who definitely do think they can post what they want.

However, I think a system that allows one-off, anonymous (to the forum) donations can work, with the specific proviso tuslehill mentions. Donors get no other reward than simply knowing their money will help keep the site running and have absolutely no route for recompense if they manage to get themselves banned.

From experience on other forums, I firmly believe a subscription option is a bad idea because it creates a two-tier system of members, with an 'elite' of subscribers who definitely do think they can post what they want.

However, I think a system that allows one-off, anonymous (to the forum) donations can work, with the specific proviso tuslehill mentions. Donors get no other reward than simply knowing their money will help keep the site running and have absolutely no route for recompense if they manage to get themselves banned.

Perhaps an angle to look at.

Agreed. I'm sure there'd be happy donators but the rules would have to be nailed down that it doesn't grant you arsehole rights. Don't think it had to be benefit free (custom legends might be a nice touch) providing the T&Cs are tight.

Other forums, such as Tranmere's I think, charge for a 'premium membership' which allows certain additional features. For example PMs, avatars and viewing profiles etc. Then it's still free if you just want to post and nothing else.

Not sure I'm fond of the concept but just thought I'd mention it.

Good spot. But we've discussed and dismissed this concept in the past. The idea of people having to buy full access to the site just didn't sit very well.