Could the club officials finally put this one to bed once and for all -

1. Have we ever approached Paul Scholes asking him to play for us?

2. If not then why not?

3. If yes then obviously it didn't appeal to him for whatever reason and he's doing his but by paying through the turnstiles for him, his dad and his kids and we can finally - and I mean finally - move on!

The "did we or didn't we" will eat away at some as infinitum until the truth is out.

Come on Barry, spill the beans :wink:

EXACTLY!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is we couldn't "tap him up" when he was a plyer but now he is just a coach, employed by ManU...he can do what he damn well likes...he is held in uch high respect that he could almost ceratinly cut a deal with Manu to hold a position open for him for a year or 2.

I understand what you're getting at, but why would he? What would be the draw for a player who has publically stated he wants to retire, and has a (relatively) cushy job at the club he clearly thinks a lot of? I guess I'm in the same boat as those posters who just don't see him as so dedicated a Latics fan that he'd want to leave retirement to be kicked around League One.

No offence meant to those who disagree, but I've seen nothing to suggest he wants to play at BP, and this announcement to me kills any idea of it happening stone dead. Demanding to know if the club has ever approached him seems a bit like dead horse flogging to me...

1. Have we ever approached Paul Scholes asking him to play for us?

2. If not then why not?

3. If yes then obviously it didn't appeal to him for whatever reason and he's doing his but by paying through the turnstiles for him, his dad and his kids and we can finally - and I mean finally - move on!

For the benefit of those who can't be arsed to read the whole thread.

I've never read a quote from Paul Scholes in which he says he loves Latics. He's mentioned Frankie Bunn and Stitch as his favourites when his dad took him to watch them, and when he picked his all-time favourite XI, he included ex-Latics Stuart Balmer in the heart of defence.

Taggart once said something to the effect that if Scholes leaves OT, there's only one club he'll play for and that's Oldham. That was intended to deter rival clubs rather than give Latics supporters hope. Taggart has since said there's no chance of him dropping to League One.

The following are [some of the] extracts from interviews with Paul Scholes or articles, leading to the will he play for Latics question?

May 2009 – The Telegraph

Scholes: "People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!"

Sept 2009 – The Republic of Mancunia

Sir Alex Ferguson reckons after two decades at the top there is no way Scholes will be going down to League One to play.

“I don’t think this is Paul’s last season,” said Ferguson. “What else has he got? He’s a football man. He isn’t going to drop down through the leagues, I’m sure of that. “Once you’ve played for United for as long as he has – almost 20 years, Christ – what else are you going to do? I’ve read stuff about him going to play for Oldham in his last year. No chance.”

Note to Taggart: Of course you've read that stuff, because it was you who started the hare running!

Aug 2010 – Tribal Football

Oldham chief Alan Hardy told the Daily Mail: "He's been coming to Boundary Park on a regular basis for a number of years. He knows he's always welcome and can have a cup of tea in the boardroom whenever he's here, but he tends to decline that invitation.

"He likes to stay in the background; he's not one for the limelight and we respect that. He's quite happy with his boys, sitting in the stand behind the goal, in a pair of jeans and a baseball cap.

"It would be wonderful if he could finally play for us one day but whether it'll happen or not, I'm not sure."

For the benefit of those who can't be arsed to read the whole thread.

And your point is?

I'm not questioning whether he is a Latics fan or not BUT asking whether our club has approached Scholes to see if he would sign for us knowing that he was approaching retirement for Man United.

I understand what you're getting at, but why would he? What would be the draw for a player who has publically stated he wants to retire, and has a (relatively) cushy job at the club he clearly thinks a lot of? I guess I'm in the same boat as those posters who just don't see him as so dedicated a Latics fan that he'd want to leave retirement to be kicked around League One.

No offence meant to those who disagree, but I've seen nothing to suggest he wants to play at BP, and this announcement to me kills any idea of it happening stone dead. Demanding to know if the club has ever approached him seems a bit like dead horse flogging to me...

On the whole I agree with you, I also question if he is a real Latics fan. I'm not sure he would be too worried about being kicked...he could always kick them back...or "tackle" them, which in Scholes' case is the same thing.

My only frustration with this whole thing is the club do now have the opportunity to put it to bed once and for all but also to show a little imagination. It would be really sad to find out in a few years that he would have said yes but nobody asked him! (and I refer again to the World Cup and Capello not trying soon enough to speak to him)

The game is losing it's passion, romance and loyalty; what a fabulous message of hope this would send to the smaller teams.......sound of alarm clock ringing

And your point is?

I'm not questioning whether he is a Latics fan or not BUT asking whether our club has approached Scholes to see if he would sign for us knowing that he was approaching retirement for Man United.

My point is he has never had intention of playing for Latics. If Taggart hadn't started the hare running, there would never have been the false hope created among supporters.

Why would the Club approach him, when he has made his position clear?

My point is he has never had intention of playing for Latics. If Taggart hadn't started the hare running, there would never have been the false hope created among supporters.

Why would the Club approach him, when he has made his position clear?

your a right kill joy at times diego...

he has made his position quite clear yes...but he admits himself he made a mistake with england,one of his major reasons was to prolong his club carear and to be not spending so much time away from his family...

so players dont renage on what they said a few months earlier and come out of retirment once they realise just how much they will miss playing????

living round the corner would help on the family front.....

until the club come out and say it,paul scholes will never play for oldham athletic at any time..people will always speculate.....and they have every right too as well

To be fair maybe Scholes starting his coaching days at Man United maybe a good thing. Gives him a chance to learn the ropess from a different perpesctive, in a less competitive level. Also he will see more young players come through the ranks and those who wont make it.

Give a few years he may follow in Ole Gunnar Solskjær example (who went back to Norway to manage Molde after being in charge of Man United reserves) and come to Oldham then with more experince and knowledge of up coming players on loan and those who never made he maybe able to pick up on the cheap.

Edited by oafctom

Like has been said, there has never been a quote from Paul that he will ever drop through the leagues and play for latics, lots of speculation because he is spotted at BP a fair few times. Oldham is not his boy hood team, not his home town team- he is a Salford lad and supports United, with a soft spot for Latic because of his father. and his experiences of a youngster being taken to Boundary Park.

Never had him down as a coach though, but good look to a true model professional on and off the pitch, sadly football in this century is severley lacking his type. if England produces a better all round midfielder than Scholes in the next 20 years, my god i will be going to that football ground and watching him play.

Like has been said, there has never been a quote from Paul that he will ever drop through the leagues and play for latics, lots of speculation because he is spotted at BP a fair few times. Oldham is not his boy hood team, not his home town team- he is a Salford lad and supports United, with a soft spot for Latic because of his father. and his experiences of a youngster being taken to Boundary Park.

Never had him down as a coach though, but good look to a true model professional on and off the pitch, sadly football in this century is severley lacking his type. if England produces a better all round midfielder than Scholes in the next 20 years, my god i will be going to that football ground and watching him play.

He's hardly a "Salford Lad". My understanding is that he grew up round Middleton - if you go in The Carters Arms in Rhodes they still have pictures up of their early 90's cricket teams that he played for.

He's hardly a "Salford Lad". My understanding is that he grew up round Middleton - if you go in The Carters Arms in Rhodes they still have pictures up of their early 90's cricket teams that he played for.

Didn't he go to Cardinal Langley School?

Good article that - better than the slightly bitter living obituary in the Grauniad. Don't know why I bothered with that one.

Anyway - here's how it will pan out. Scholes manages the United reserves for a bit but misses playing too much, leaves, pulls on the Oldham shirt and fires us into the Championship and financial security. Okay?

He was born in Salford but moved to Langley when he was 18 months old. Hardly warrants calling him a Salford lad. He must be united having been with them for 20 years, but I think it is more than a soft spot.

Can anyone confirm they have been on away trips with him?

AS Dave Og says, he goes to more games than many on here, definetely more than me.

Finally, can anyone guess his username on OWTB.... :wink:

Who says he was never approached? He may have been asked and said, 'it'll never happen so don't even go there'. And as being seen at boundary park, he lives in Oldham, his kids are schooled in Oldham. Maybe he's doing the right thing and encouraging his kids to support their home town team rather than being glory hunters? We all complain about the amount of united and city shirts in the town but when a high profile star is seen at boundary park we hound him to death about playing for us. If were not careful we'll scare him away.

I've resigned myself to him never pulling on the blue shirt now. I think it's time we put it to bed and just be thankful he has the good grace to do the right thing and bring his kids up supporting their home team. And if his nice new free Saturday schedule sees him frequenting boundary park a little more often and pulls in a bit of publicity, then we should be thankful for that too.

Good luck to the guy. Never been a manure fan but the guy was one of the best players of his generation and a normal down to earth bloke too. Hope he enjoys his retirement.