The riots ten years on...

From 19 minutes in, report and discussion. Sad that they chose an illiterate scrote to be the representative of the white working-class community. There's a lot being done to improve community relations (Not least by Oldham Athletic), especially in schools, but it will take time. I believe working with the younger generations will reap its rewards eventually. The older generations are too set in their ways and their prejudices and mis-trust of each other are too deeply set.

Newsnight

Provide the town with leisure facilities where all communities are able to interact then that will help too…at the end of the day a kid is a kid, doesn't matter what their ethnicity is...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From 19 minutes in, report and discussion. Sad that they chose an illiterate scrote to be the representative of the white working-class community. There's a lot being done to improve community relations (Not least by Oldham Athletic), especially in schools, but it will take time. I believe working with the younger generations will reap its rewards eventually. The older generations are too set in their ways and their prejudices and mis-trust of each other are too deeply set.

Newsnight

Provide the town with leisure facilities where all communities are able to interact then that will help too…at the end of the day a kid is a kid, doesn't matter what their ethnicity is...

I avoid Newsnight these days, I just come out irritated - so thanks for that, very interesting.

Guest Scratch2000uk

It's sad but nothing has changed overall.

Religion is the main stumbling block, and that's not going to change.

It's sad but nothing has changed overall.

Religion is the main stumbling block, and that's not going to change.

I'm always up for a good religion-bash, and it's certainly a contributing factor, but most of the 'alienated whites' (as I believe the film called them) are not really Christian are they?

I'm always up for a good religion-bash, and it's certainly a contributing factor, but most of the 'alienated whites' (as I believe the film called them) are not really Christian are they?

Their about as christian as politicians are honest.

Watched the 10 minute segment and noticed the close up of the OAFC tatoo (22 mins 15 seconds in) on the white guy in the group that all had BNP/EDL links and who had done time.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't know their particular beliefs Ackey.

I do know christianity had an elightenment period, and that in Christians believe in universal love.

Whereas Islam hasn't and doesn't. It's still in it's original form.

Far from teaching universal love, the Qur'an preaches the inferiority of non-Believers, and in some instances refer to non believers as vile animals.

Maybe the latter teachings have some bearing on intergration.?

I do know christianity had an elightenment period, and that in Christians believe in universal love.

Far from teaching universal love, the Qur'an preaches the inferiority of non-Believers, and in some instances refer to non believers as vile animals.

:lol:

onbyq.jpg

B)

Seriously though, the above's clumsy and a bit daft really.

But, the idea that Islam is any more violent than Christianity is nothing more than a Right Wing projection.

It's horse :censored: basically.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I didn't comment on violence.?

Some of the Islamic teachings are happening, and have happened, we have all seen it in the media, etc.

If you are dismissing what i have said about Islamic teachings as daft and silly, then i think you are being a little unfair :D

Guest Scratch2000uk

Good article here: Oldham: A town still divided? which includes:

'When I visited Alun Francis at Oldham College, he had just ejected a BBC Newsnight presenter and film crew for, as he saw it, exaggerating ethnic tensions between Asian and white students in a report'.

Thanks for that link, very good article. :)

Edited by Scratch2000uk

I didn't comment on violence.?

I suppose not, I'd argue it's implicit but that's fine. Either way you're asserting that Islam has a superiority complex and implying that Christianity doesn't - even though both assert that if you're a "non-believer" you will go to "hell".

Same :censored:, different flavour.

Some of the Islamic teachings are happening, and have happened, we have all seen it in the media, etc.

Could you elaborate on this please?

Guest Scratch2000uk

It may well be different flavour, same :censored: Ackey.

Just a quick questiion Has anyone heard anything about modern day Christian teachings, proclaiming to send you to hell for believing in another faith?

If you do, i would be very greatfull to listen, or read about it.

I know it's not the norm, but it does and has happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ0rsUofpQM

It may well be different flavour, same :censored: Ackey.

Just a quick questiion Has anyone heard anything about modern day Christian teachings, proclaiming to send you to hell for believing in another faith?

If you do, i would be very greatfull to listen, or read about it.

I know it's not the norm, but it does and has happened.

:lol:

There's this blob of land over to the left, they call it Iserland or Eyeorland or something like that... over there there's a :censored:ton of people who think they have the answer and that everyone else is wrong.

There's also the nutters at The Westboro Baptist Church, who think they have the answer too.

And as recent as last week there were the good folks that thought Harold Camping was right in saying the world would end and those who are not Christian would be killed.

The point - and I'm trying to make this simple for you - is that there are nutters of all religions. I've linked to Wiki's above for them. That's through laziness - there's much better source material I just don't have the patience to find it for you.

Guest Scratch2000uk

And i'll make it simple for you, it doesn't happen in the churches here in britain does it.? :unsure:

Those links you gave have nothing to do with Oldham or this country, two of them are of american origin, and one in ireland, although i wouldn't put the troubles in northern ireland down to just religious beliefs. :blush:

Some of these so called religious nutters are here in britain, and quite possibly have taught in Oldham, teaching young muslims to hate non believers. :shock:

And since you brought up the subject regarding violence and faith. locally in britain i would agree with you. :grin:

On a global scale, i would disagree. :huh:

I'm just trying to put across why i think religion is a big stumbling block, regarding Intergration. :)

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Seriously though, the above's clumsy and a bit daft really.

But, the idea that Islam is any more violent than Christianity is nothing more than a Right Wing projection.

It's horse :censored: basically.

Over the course of history, no, it's still got a whole lot of ground to make up for the blood shed in the name of Christianity. But in the modern day, Islam is more violent and barbaric than Christianity. I think Islam models itself on Christianity of the earlier centuries.

And i'll make it simple for you, it doesn't happen in the churches here in britain does it.? :unsure:

Those links you gave have nothing to do with Oldham or this country, two of them are of american origin, and one in ireland, although i wouldn't put the troubles in northern ireland down to just religious beliefs. :blush:

Some of these so called religious nutters are here in britain, and quite possibly have taught in Oldham, teaching young muslims to hate non believers. :shock:

And since you brought up the subject regarding violence and faith. locally in britain i would agree with you. :grin:

On a global scale, i would disagree. :huh:

I'm just trying to put across why i think religion is a big stumbling block, regarding Intergration. :)

Over the course of history, no, it's still got a whole lot of ground to make up for the blood shed in the name of Christianity. But in the modern day, Islam is more violent and barbaric than Christianity. I think Islam models itself on Christianity of the earlier centuries.

I was going to reply but work's kicked off.

Reality is both religions have an equal level of violence attached to them and you can cherry pick cases - as I did above - to suit your needs.

In the end we will never see a unified human race until religion is marginalised and 'culture' is embraced for the things it can teach us and not feared for it's differences.

Guest Scratch2000uk
Reality is both religions have an equal level of violence attached to them and you can cherry pick cases - as I did above - to suit your needs.

Really? :grin:

Ok Ackey, I have a challenge for you. :unsure:

If you can come up with at least ten to twenty examples of modern day Christian ( i'll try make it easier for you adding other faiths Catholics and Bhuddists ) violence perpetrated against the Islamic faith, just because they follow Islam. ^_^

Here's what i will do. :o

Firstly, I will congratulate you. :grin:

Secondly, I will try and prove to you that on a global scale, Islamic followers do commit more violence, against Christian, Bhuddist faiths, and even commit atrocities against followers of Islam itself. :blink:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Really? :grin:

Ok Ackey, I have a challenge for you. :unsure:

If you can come up with at least ten to twenty examples of modern day Christian ( i'll try make it easier for you adding other faiths Catholics and Bhuddists ) violence perpetrated against the Islamic faith, just because they follow Islam. ^_^

Here's what i will do. :o

Firstly, I will congratulate you. :grin:

Secondly, I will try and prove to you that on a global scale, Islamic followers do commit more violence, against Christian, Bhuddist faiths, and even commit atrocities against followers of Islam itself. :blink:

For the sake of the argument, reducing a set of many possibilities and variables to only Christian vs Islam is futile, however open that up wider to Religion vs Free Thinking World (to give it a name) and it becomes easier to identify that religion in any form is ludicrous. Especially arguing over which volume of tall stories is better than another volume of tall stories, and then to argue over who creates the most bloodshed amounts to a :censored:load of facepalm.

"Hyuk! Hyuk! I'm gonna hang me a negro!"

Newsnight

I think calling him an illiterate scrote is a bit harsh on the lad! He was honest with what he thinks and other people like him think. He didn't say anything wrong. But at the same time, they really could have chosen someone who is a lot more eloquent. It wouldn't have been too hard to find.