The riots ten years on...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general ALL! though whilst not wanting to get into a political debate here (as my knowledge is too light to debate), decisions pre 80s were certainly added to during this decade and imo definately not for the GREAT of BRITAIN.

Policy makers around the world will always make decisions based around the 'control' of populations etc and the old addage that the 'rich get richer' is certainly very true, despite the misery and toils suffered by your average Joe, year on year.

Glad you aren't blaming the usual target of Thatcher in the 80's. I've felt for many years that Wilson, Heath & Callaghan should also (assuming they were still alive) take a significant share of criticism for their mismanagement during their periods in office.

Glad you aren't blaming the usual target of Thatcher in the 80's. I've felt for many years that Wilson, Heath & Callaghan should also (assuming they were still alive) take a significant share of criticism for their mismanagement during their periods in office.

Not 'solely' to blame, but boy did she have a real go at making her mark!

Nice little speech but it's been like that since man managed to stand on 2 legs and learnt how to subjugate others.

Just because its been going on for a long time dosen't change much... Its still the reason...

I have the opinion of the people of Oldham, Bradford and Burnley were the subject of failed local government policies in dealing with ethnic minorities. Oldham has an Asian population of around 12%...hardly a dominant influence unlike Leicester for example which, I believe, has a majority Asian population of 52%.....so why not unrest there? Or why not in Warrington?

What makes you think there hasn't been unrest in Leicester ? Maybe not a couple of nights of full scale riots but there has been plenty of incidents in places like Leicester. Nothing unique about Oldham... Remove the colour of peoples skin and its still working class people dicking each other over scraps...

Warrington dosen't have an asian population of any note... Not what I have noticed anyway... but there is plenty of unrest in certain areas of the town...

Edited by oafc0000

Thatcher is a perfectly legitimate target... Regardless if other failed as well... Fecking bitch...

Thatcher is a perfectly legitimate target... Regardless if other failed as well... Fecking bitch...

Reasons???

You can't hold up Thatcher as a target without commenting on the 3 previous tw*ts. The country was falling deeper and deeper into the sh*t because of their gutless union, arse-locking policies.

Reasons???

You can't hold up Thatcher as a target without commenting on the 3 previous tw*ts. The country was falling deeper and deeper into the sh*t because of their gutless union, arse-locking policies.

i ain't going to waste my time explaining why Thatcher was a :censored:... Its a fact...

Very few modern problems don't come down to Thatcher. FACT.

Sadly, I hear she'll not burden the sainted taxpayer for much longer. Black Velvets all round when it happens. Without the Guinness.

Exactly... What happened in the 70s has far less bearing on what life is like today than Thatchers reign...

Gordon Brown for Sainthood it is then.

Nowt so blind as those that cannot see.

There is only one type of person that cannot see that Thatcher action from 30 years ago still causes more problems that Gordon Brown.

Ideaology over common sense.

Brown and Thatcher are as bad as each other.

Sadly, I hear she'll not burden the sainted taxpayer for much longer. Black Velvets all round when it happens. Without the Guinness.

I'm impressed by the use of this unsubstantiated use of the word "FACT". A lot of what Thatcher did was idealogical and I disagreed at the time and still do with those decisions made but I cannot part her from the measures she took and correctly so to break the stranglehold of the unions that had left this country in it's abject state in 1979. Not FACT but an OPINION.

They all piss in the same pot and has already been mentioned, it's only ever to benefit their own 'kind'

I agree, but some on here would have you believe that the left leaning side of the House have your interests at heart.

I agree, but some on here would have you believe that the left leaning side of the House have your interests at heart...

That despite all evidence to the contrary, and many years of trying.

They sold off the family jewels, but did nothing of note with it.

Sucking up to the Guardian reader creating lots of non jobs in the NHS and Quangos, creating auditors to audit the auditorsa nd the like they created far more for shy middle class than ever they did for the working man.

That despite all evidence to the contrary, and many years of trying.

They sold off the family jewels, but did nothing of note with it.

Sucking up to the Guardian reader creating lots of non jobs in the NHS and Quangos, creating auditors to audit the auditorsa nd the like they created far more for shy middle class than ever they did for the working man.

I would say paying off the debt to the IMF was something!!!

And wasn't it under Auntie Tony's premiership that the NHS tipped the balance in favour of more administrators than frontline staff?

Also, little has been created for the working man for over 30 years except the retail trade.

Thatcher messed up the social classes III(M) to V so badly that Tory held seats are now Labour heartlands. However, she did inherit a UK so messed up it makes the one Cameron got seem like paradise and in improving the country's economy :censored: the unions.

She did help invent Mr. Whippy though

I'm impressed by the use of this unsubstantiated use of the word "FACT". A lot of what Thatcher did was idealogical and I disagreed at the time and still do with those decisions made but I cannot part her from the measures she took and correctly so to break the stranglehold of the unions that had left this country in it's abject state in 1979. Not FACT but an OPINION.

In short, Barbara Castle was right - and Thatcher was what Labour got for listening to Callaghan.

I know one of the lads that got sent down for the riots and, through friends and mixing with lads from the areas the rioters originate, feel I have a good measure of the mentality of most of the other white and asian lads involved.....believe me, these guys couldn't give a :censored: about 'fighting over crumbs', or Thatcher, or unions, or whatever.

It was pure, out and out thuggery - and a show of strength from both sides, a territorial thing, a tribal thing, and certainly a racist thing.

Edited by Yard Dog

still puzzles me to this day how the police never mentioned the Asain lad at the top of Waterloo Street (town end) doing what he was doing

for those who have seen different footage to what was released should know what im on about

I know one of the lads that got sent down for the riots and, through friends and mixing with lads from the areas the rioters originate, feel I have a good measure of the mentality of most of the other white and asian lads involved.....believe me, these guys couldn't give a :censored: about 'fighting over crumbs', or Thatcher, or unions, or whatever.

It was pure, out and out thuggery - and a show of strength from both sides, a territorial thing, a tribal thing, and certainly a racist thing.

I think your post has got straight to the point. I have no doubt plenty piled in just for the scrap.

To me it had echoes of football violence, the football or racism is just the ignition not the fuel.

The fuel being what you described.