Latics to miss out on McDonald

Advertiser reckons the target WAS Cody McDonald, but he's likely to join Hudds or Charlton. Let's be honest he was NEVER a realistic target, just a name pulled out of the air by the club. We've supposedly turned our attention to Dickinson…

Advertiser

If it was that unrealistic then the player wouldn’t have held talks with the club

You really do have a downer on all things Latics at the moment, don’t you?

I wouldn’t bother if I felt such distain for something

I think the problem with Dickinson is man management. Supposedly he has issues off the pitch and it seems that he performed best under a disciplinarian like Gannon. If Paulie could give him guidance and direction then he could be a decent signing. All the same it could work out a terrible one too.

I think the problem with Dickinson is man management. Supposedly he has issues off the pitch and it seems that he performed best under a disciplinarian like Gannon. If Paulie could give him guidance and direction then he could be a decent signing. All the same it could work out a terrible one too.

I've seen him a couple of times, he was superb at Wembley for Stockport, the real difference between otherwise two evenly matched sides. Then later that year he was at BP in the 1-1 with Hudds, he put himself about very well but that was it. Never really looked a threat.

I think he's worth a trial, but since leaving Stockport, he's become a journeyman. It's only three years since he was sold for 3/4 of a mill, but his heart seems to be not in it from what I have seen and read.

I hope we've not put all our eggs in one basket with McDonald and it seems that the Donaldson rumour was just that. I think the fact we are being linked with so few players, (I don't ever remember a summer as quiet as this at BP since Ritchie was in charge) is worrying and the reality biting of just how crap our budget is for next season, and we're still waiting to hear back from our own players we've offered contracts to, including Youth teamers as I type, Morais staying is confirmed - good news

I've seen him a couple of times, he was superb at Wembley for Stockport, the real difference between otherwise two evenly matched sides. Then later that year he was at BP in the 1-1 with Hudds, he put himself about very well but that was it. Never really looked a threat.

I think he's worth a trial, but since leaving Stockport, he's become a journeyman. It's only three years since he was sold for 3/4 of a mill, but his heart seems to be not in it from what I have seen and read.

I hope we've not put all our eggs in one basket with McDonald and it seems that the Donaldson rumour was just that. I think the fact we are being linked with so few players, (I don't ever remember a summer as quiet as this at BP since Ritchie was in charge) is worrying and the reality biting of just how crap our budget is for next season, and we're still waiting to hear back from our own players we've offered contracts to, including Youth teamers as I type, Morais staying is confirmed - good news

Dickov seems to be taking a stance now on contract issues according to the OS, deadline set for answers !

PS No signings in June last year.

I really would not read to much into it.

Firstly the lack of linkage is mainly down to Royle Army not being on OWTB!

And it awlays cracks on at the end of June after the holibobs and June payment.

And there are agoing to be 1,000's of players looking for work.

They will clearly hold on to see what offers are around.

This time last year around 7 transfer per day, with a bigger spike of 19 on 30 June and that includes non league

In July it averages around 20, no soike on the last day

In Aug around 20 with 70 on the last day of the window

Personally I am glad there is not silly speculation, the striker OS article was the most ridiculous one ever posted

Last year we had 1 by the last week of July

June 0

July 7 Ritchie Jones

July 30 Dean Kelly

Aug 02 Rod McDonald

Aug 05 Tonks and MVoto

Aug 20 Gerard & Dikaba

Edited by singe

Very few clubs are signing players at the moment. It's been very quiet and non league clubs seem to be more active than league clubs.

from the hudds board as of yesterday......

Not sure if anyone remembers, but I started a thread at some point in the last 2 months regarding Cody McDonald. A supplier at work used to go to school with him and sees him occasionally. He tipped me off previously that we were apparently in for him, and he rung me up about half an hour ago and said...Oldham. My stomach churned at that one! This is less certain than the first tip-off, as he didn't hear it from Cody himself, (he's staying pretty tight lipped for obvious reasons) but all his mates reckon Oldham.

Apparently he wanted to stay down south, and Leyton Orient were prime candidates, but they couldn't afford the fee (around £500k apparently). How the hell can Oldham afford that? Didn't they struggle to pay wages a few times last year??!!

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=57739&page=21#ixzz1PTC81QUX

from the hudds board as of yesterday......

Not sure if anyone remembers, but I started a thread at some point in the last 2 months regarding Cody McDonald. A supplier at work used to go to school with him and sees him occasionally. He tipped me off previously that we were apparently in for him, and he rung me up about half an hour ago and said...Oldham. My stomach churned at that one! This is less certain than the first tip-off, as he didn't hear it from Cody himself, (he's staying pretty tight lipped for obvious reasons) but all his mates reckon Oldham.

Apparently he wanted to stay down south, and Leyton Orient were prime candidates, but they couldn't afford the fee (around £500k apparently). How the hell can Oldham afford that? Didn't they struggle to pay wages a few times last year??!!

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=57739&page=21#ixzz1PTC81QUX

Without doubt we could not afford that we could barly afford 10% of that. If McDonald coming here then there is a catch eg. loan

Carnt imagine it, he looked very average in a very good squad whilst at southampton.

Yet Adkins played him in pretty much every game, and he was part of the team that won promotion - if he had been that average loanee or not he would have been dropped, but he wasn't. I'm sure Southampton still want him but Latics have grown some bollocks and moved the goalposts, or perhaps Dale himself doesn't fancy being so far away from his home town of Bolton, permanently?

Yet Adkins played him in pretty much every game, and he was part of the team that won promotion - if he had been that average loanee or not he would have been dropped, but he wasn't. I'm sure Southampton still want him but Latics have grown some bollocks and moved the goalposts, or perhaps Dale himself doesn't fancy being so far away from his home town of Bolton, permanently?

I watched him play for saints twice and he was very average, and after talking to a few saints fans about him, they didnt seem to keen on him saying they have better players in the squad.

I watched him play for saints twice and he was very average, and after talking to a few saints fans about him, they didnt seem to keen on him saying they have better players in the squad.

Yet a host of Championship clubs are competing for his signature, you only have to look at how much we were disrupted when he was out ill for a month, we never regained that momentum. You're entitled to your opinion Lee, but dismissing a lad who played such a big part in all we did well last season and was a big factor in is surviving the year before is ludicrous. I hope he stays, but I don't think he will, he's got all the attributes to be a success in the Championship and I think within two or three years he'll be in the Premier League, playing for someone like Bolton or Everton.

I never thought he stood out that much for us but we sure missed him when he was injured or on loan.

People used to slag Milligan off though especially during his second spell…. sometimes you don't know what you have got until it is gone - case in point was Sean McCarthy, who suffered dog's abuse, but we didn't have a striker of that ilk for years after. One who on his day could bully a defence to tatters (Notts County, Alan Stubbs etc….)

Yet a host of Championship clubs are competing for his signature, you only have to look at how much we were disrupted when he was out ill for a month, we never regained that momentum. You're entitled to your opinion Lee, but dismissing a lad who played such a big part in all we did well last season and was a big factor in is surviving the year before is ludicrous. I hope he stays, but I don't think he will, he's got all the attributes to be a success in the Championship and I think within two or three years he'll be in the Premier League, playing for someone like Bolton or Everton.

I am not dismissing him what so ever, all i was mentioning was that he was " a little fish in a big pond " and didnt look anywhere near as good as he can be. With us he has played a pivitol part in helping us do so well and as you said keep us up along with gregan. I'd love to keep him but if the price is right then he would have to go.