Squad Numbers

We should probably concentrate on getting some players in before we give them numbers!

Although I must say, there's always something pleasant and satisfying about a team made up 1-11 squad numbers. All this no41, no27, no36 etc nonsense just seems silly, although technically necessary...

Obviously they will, it's not like we always leave 1-11 with big gaps, last season 1 Brill, 3 Jacobsen, 4 Todd, 6 Hazell, 8 Smalley, 7 Jones, 10 Purdie, 11 Jarrett.

His own squad now, so 2 Lee, 3 Black, 5 M'Voto, 8 Furman, 7 Morais, 10 Smith??? Prob just Furman though looking at training photos!

I think judging by the training pictures (may not mean anything) but Furman has taken the number 8 this season.. I'd take a stab at Morais taking the number 7 too!

I'd like to see Taylor wear the number 8 shirt with Furman taking number 4, give 3 to Black and 2 to Lee and 5 to to Jean-Yves... let's get back to the good old 1 to 11 numbering for the likely starters!

As LaticsChris says - maybe we are holding back the numbers for the sudden rush of signings today... ^_^

Edited by TheBigDog

I'd like to see Taylor wear the number 8 shirt with Furman taking number 4, give 3 to Black and 2 to Lee and 5 to to Jean-Yves... let's get back to the good old 1 to 11 numbering for the likely starters!

As LaticsChris says - maybe we are holding back the numbers for the sudden rush of signings today... ^_^

I think with squad numbering its not always a case of the players choosing their own numbers. I would imagine merchandising may have some say as a lot of fans who got say '18 TAYLOR' on the back of their shirt wouldnt want him to change his number as it makes it out of date. I know this is the case a lot of bigger clubs.......but then it would be a good marketing ploy by the club to get people to buy a new shirt :grin:

Edited by Killens_physio

I think with squad numbering its not always a case of the players choosing their own numbers. I would imagine merchandising may have some say as a lot of fans who got say '18 TAYLOR' on the back of their shirt wouldnt want him to change his number as it makes it out of date. I know this is the case a lot of bigger clubs.......but then it would be a good marketing ploy by the club to get people to buy a new shirt :grin:

IIRC Taylor was given 18 the season after his debut which seemed appropriate at the time, we've had a few kit changes since then and he's kept the number, which probably means he likes it.

Windass and Rickets both got inappropriate numbers because they were in 2-11, some players prefer a squad number in the usual 1-11 and others don't care. However, what's the price difference between getting 'Taylor 18' on the back of your shirt compared with 'Taylor 8' leaving the remaining numbers between 1-9 blank might mean a bit more money in the short term.

I think the most popular players tend to have double figure numbers to help sell numbers (as minor as this sounds). Hence rooney's change from 8 to 10. think morais will be 11 taylor stay 18 lee stay 21 although players do get a say (and can even have it written into their contracts what number they are). so i'd expect some changes but not everyone.

I think it will be something like

1 new keeper

2 winchester/newbie

3 black

4 newbie?

5 mvoto

6 newbie?

7 newbie?

8 furman

9 ried

10 smith/newbie

11 morais

12 tarky

13 new keeper

14 miller

15 bembo

16 burns

17 feeney

18 taylor

19 lee

20 carr

21 mgrath

22 brooke

23 smith/newbie?

24-27 newbies/loan/youths

28 gerrard?

29 dickov?

30+ newbies/loan/youths

I think the most popular players tend to have double figure numbers to help sell numbers (as minor as this sounds). Hence rooney's change from 8 to 10. think morais will be 11 taylor stay 18 lee stay 21 although players do get a say (and can even have it written into their contracts what number they are). so i'd expect some changes but not everyone.

I think it will be something like

1 new keeper

2 winchester/newbie

3 black

4 newbie?

5 mvoto

6 newbie?

7 newbie?

8 furman

9 ried

10 smith/newbie

11 morais

12 tarky

13 new keeper

14 miller

15 bembo

16 burns

17 feeney

18 taylor

19 lee

20 carr

21 mgrath

22 brooke

23 smith/newbie?

24-27 newbies/loan/youths

28 gerrard?

29 dickov?

30+ newbies/loan/youths

Except we dont have David Beckham in our squad

Tend to think having the OLD squad still prominant puts people off signing up to World. Kelly still on... very poor support for club from those that manage it.

Desirable - yes

Priority - possibly

essential - no