Best individual performance against Latics

Bit of a break from all the transfer tosh, what is the best individual display you've seen against Oldham?

The one that stands out for me is Juan Ugarte for Wrexham, in the paint pot trophy. Scored a hat trick and tore us to shreds. I just wikipedia'd him to see how he was getting on, and it turns out he retired at 25 due to injury :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you sure? thought the promotion team was ellington, roberts, bullard, liddell, etc?

All except Roberts, I think he came in around January the next season. Leighton Baines and possibly Lee McCulloch were in that squad though...

All except Roberts, I think he came in around January the next season. Leighton Baines and possibly Lee McCulloch were in that squad though...

Yep he is right, I thought he was there but just checked and he wasn't

Any of the cardiff team when they smashed us 7-1. The ginger one maybe Campbell?

If not then it has to be ugarte.

Bit of a break from all the transfer tosh, what is the best individual display you've seen against Oldham?

The one that stands out for me is Juan Ugarte for Wrexham, in the paint pot trophy. Scored a hat trick and tore us to shreds. I just wikipedia'd him to see how he was getting on, and it turns out he retired at 25 due to injury :(

Some of my memories (can't stop at one…)

Whittingham Hat-Trick - December '89

Lee Butler Keeper on loan at Hull from Villa- March '91 our only home defeat that year

Parkin - Former Latics Keeper for Bristol Rovers - March '91

Irwin December '91

Beardsley - November '93

Martin Taylor - November '99

Out of them all? Beardsley…he was getting on a bit and ran the show, scoring a wonder goal too….

Kanchelskis in the 4-1 FA Cup semi Final replay 1994 at Maine Road, destroyed us.

Frustrating thing was Dissa had nailed him early doors the year before when we beat them 1-0 and he didn't want to know, but no bugger could get near him that night. On his day he was unplayable. I still say that was THE best United team I have seen, you can keep your Ronaldo's, Beckhams etc… but for sheer attacking flair they were unstoppable and the year before we actually beat them! (Albeit without Cantona).

Goalkeeper Eric Nixon in an FA cup tie for Tranmere at BP...anyone else remember it ?

Every time we played against him, he had a stormer!!! Even when he was on loan at Wigan he was MOM when they beat us 3-2 at BP on a Friday night in October '98. Months earlier I'd met Eric in the IOM and had a beer with him, Barry Horne and David Phillips when they were all at Hudds - me and my mates had a cracking night with them and he took it in good spirits when I told him I had christened him after his string of match-winning performances "Eric The Bastard'!

Edited by oafcprozac

A few stand out for me (some which are very very obscure I will admit)

Martin Taylor

November 1999: Oldham 2-2 Wycombe

Steve Whitehall nicked a last minute equaliser for us but Wycombe's keeper Martin Taylor played an absolute blinder. We absolutely bombarded them with everything, chucked the kitchen sink at them, but couldnt get past him. Single handedly kept them in the game. And they nearly nicked it too, scoring in the 88th minute.

Rob Hulse

January 2003: Oldham 1-3 Crewe

Despite the fact we lost Fitz Hall very early on in the game, remember this one and Hulse was outstanding, although remember Dean Ashton coming on and scoring a blinder with more or less his first touch.

Andy Campbell

March 2002: Oldham 1-7 Cardiff

Got a hatrick and we couldnt handle him, enough said really

A few stand out for me (some which are very very obscure I will admit)

Martin Taylor

November 1999: Oldham 2-2 Wycombe

+1. Funnily enough, I was chatting to a Wycombe fan about this performance only last Saturday.

My overriding memory from his quite ridiculous catalog of saves that evening was when Whitehall, having just come off the bench, hit a peach of a volley from around 20 yards which seemed destined to dip right into the top left corner of the goal, only for one of the most incredible finger tip save to deny us once again.

We must have had near 30 shots that evening! I remember a lad in front of me walking out in disbelief when Wycombe scored with 2 mins to go.

+1. Funnily enough, I was chatting to a Wycombe fan about this performance only last Saturday.

My overriding memory from his quite ridiculous catalog of saves that evening was when Whitehall, having just come off the bench, hit a peach of a volley from around 20 yards which seemed destined to dip right into the top left corner of the goal, only for one of the most incredible finger tip save to deny us once again.

We must have had near 30 shots that evening! I remember a lad in front of me walking out in disbelief when Wycombe scored with 2 mins to go.

[/quote

And they'd been down to ten men for 80 odd minutes too….