Best individual performance against Latics

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall David White having a blinder against us on the last game of the season against Citeh in about 1992. They won 5-2 and should probably have been more against a disinterested Latics team who were plenty safe.

Te Tiss on the last game in 1993 too, even though we won, the best player on the park by a mile was Le Tiss. In fact, every time we played them he always had such a mark of quality about him. Should have played for England far more times than he did.

I'm not sure which player it was, may have been Don Goodman, but WBA had a great side around 1988-89 in an already strong division (Chelsea and Citeh went up). They came to BP, on the plastic and was about the only club (besides Chelsea) top give us a real footballing lesson on it, beating us 3-2 or 3-1. Recall one player having a stormer on it, but who was he?

Wasnt it a glancing header from whitehall that eventually beat him

It certainly was Carl.

Good lord, it really is incredible the amount of information/sh*t a football fan can retain. I was only 14 when that game was played & I can remember, amongst other pearls, that Paul Rickers was playing with a headband on after a nasty injury - he then scored our early equaliser - and also that Chris Vinnicombe was playing right back for them despite being left footed.

If only I applied such mental application to most of my academic life. I'd be an absolute genius!!!

It certainly was Carl.

Good lord, it really is incredible the amount of information/sh*t a football fan can retain. I was only 14 when that game was played & I can remember, amongst other pearls, that Paul Rickers was playing with a headband on after a nasty injury - he then scored our early equaliser - and also that Chris Vinnicombe was playing right back for them despite being left footed.

If only I applied such mental application to most of my academic life. I'd be an absolute genius!!!

I remember the keeper hitting the ground in frustration, managing to keep out just about everything thrown at him, them going up and nearly nicking it, only to be beaten by a glancing header.

Apart from the ones already mentioned

Jamie Cureton when he played for Bristol Rovers they went 3-0 up in the first 15 minutes back in 2000 really gave us the run around and on more than one occasion.

Andy Cole the same night that Peter beardsley destroyed us we couldn't handle those 2 that nightDespite Fleming and Jobson not playing particularly badly if memory serves me right.

For those who remember the 70's there were two matches where we drew 'big' teams in the FA cup, one versus Southamnpton when Mike Channon destroyed us and one against West Ham when Trevor Brooking dictated the game, fantastic to witness once you got over the defeat.

For those who remember the 70's there were two matches where we drew 'big' teams in the FA cup, one versus Southamnpton when Mike Channon destroyed us and one against West Ham when Trevor Brooking dictated the game, fantastic to witness once you got over the defeat.

Of forgot an Andy Lochead hat trick fr Aston Villa when they beat us in a wet Boundary Park 3rd round FA cup match 6-0

Apart from the ones already mentioned

Jamie Cureton when he played for Bristol Rovers they went 3-0 up in the first 15 minutes back in 2000 really gave us the run around and on more than one occasion.

Andy Cole the same night that Peter beardsley destroyed us we couldn't handle those 2 that nightDespite Fleming and Jobson not playing particularly badly if memory serves me right.

I think it was more like 11 minutes rather than 15? But remember that too

Lee Butler- keeper on loan to Hull, a really unbelievable display to take away our unbeaten home record.

Jimmy Bullard - when he played for Peterbrough, pulled the strings and was a class above everybody.

Ruel Fox - winger for Norwich, his link up play with Chris Sutton tore us to pieces.

a certain mr Archibald Gemmel for Derby at the baseball ground mid eightys .took us apart that day lunberd around an area ten yards around the centre circle spraying killer passes hither & thither was awsome

A few stand out for me (some which are very very obscure I will admit)

Martin Taylor

November 1999: Oldham 2-2 Wycombe

Steve Whitehall nicked a last minute equaliser for us but Wycombe's keeper Martin Taylor played an absolute blinder. We absolutely bombarded them with everything, chucked the kitchen sink at them, but couldnt get past him. Single handedly kept them in the game. And they nearly nicked it too, scoring in the 88th minute.

Rob Hulse

January 2003: Oldham 1-3 Crewe

Despite the fact we lost Fitz Hall very early on in the game, remember this one and Hulse was outstanding, although remember Dean Ashton coming on and scoring a blinder with more or less his first touch.

Andy Campbell

March 2002: Oldham 1-7 Cardiff

Got a hatrick and we couldnt handle him, enough said really

Was at that game the best player i've seen at Boundary Park think he scored a couple remember him being unplayable though

Mark Tyler in an FA Cup Replay for Peterborough on a freezing cold Tuesday night at BP. If I remember correctly they went one up early doors & didn't get another kick for the rest of the 90 minutes - he was brilliant & single handedly got them through, to make matters worse they went on to play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the next round!!