I noticed there was a deal on there today - £8 instead of £23.50 for two tickets for Rugby 7s at Edgeley Park - they've sold 150 so far so that's 300 extra on the attendance. Wondered if something like this might work for us, getting extra bums on seats. Groupon is now massively popular so it'd be reaching a wide audience. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it for the costs for the tems/businesses involved to put their deal on there, but might be worthwhile?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/manchester/jp-morgan-7s/553727

I noticed there was a deal on there today - £8 instead of £23.50 for two tickets for Rugby 7s at Edgeley Park - they've sold 150 so far so that's 300 extra on the attendance. Wondered if something like this might work for us, getting extra bums on seats. Groupon is now massively popular so it'd be reaching a wide audience. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it for the costs for the tems/businesses involved to put their deal on there, but might be worthwhile?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/manchester/jp-morgan-7s/553727

is it? Or are some of those people who were going to go anyway and have paid less than they would have done?

is it? Or are some of those people who were going to go anyway and have paid less than they would have done?

It definitely will be some people who were going to go anyway, but isn't this the same for the £1 entry games etc. games we've done in the past? It's just a new medium of promoting the club, there is a lot of traffic on that website and I know that on a few deals I may not have necessarily purchased in the end i've seen the brands website at the bottom of the description and still had a look, might lead to a small increase in traffic to the website which can only be a good thing also.

• 2 months later...

It definitely will be some people who were going to go anyway, but isn't this the same for the £1 entry games etc. games we've done in the past? It's just a new medium of promoting the club, there is a lot of traffic on that website and I know that on a few deals I may not have necessarily purchased in the end i've seen the brands website at the bottom of the description and still had a look, might lead to a small increase in traffic to the website which can only be a good thing also.

The fact many offers have been sold out suggests they are on to a good thing, it's certainly something Latics should look at.

The Derby v Southampton match is an attractive fixture too which means Groupon could be tried at Latics Cat B games rather than Cat C, which won't attract many people no matter how cheap they are.

Send the Derby link to Alan Hardy, he will definitely be interested (and at the same time apply for a job as a marketing manager).

Edited by BP1960

All forms of marketing are welcome, although I understand the club's desire to attract new fans, as well as keep existing ones happy, and the difficulty in doing this without losing income that would have been generated by doing nothing.

Tesco Clubcard is one that I'd use, but we shouldn't underestimate some of the other initiatives that have been promoted this season.

£2 for the Carlisle game (I reckon they took more in gate receipts and car parking than a 3,000 gate of full payers and season tickets)

£30 for a pie and pint in corporate hospitality

£30 for a family of 4 for the Wycombe game (come on Latics, throw in a free programme voucher)

£14 for category C matches.

£50 for a child season ticket (aged 15 or less).

Sometimes the potential fan base simply doesn't bite. Sometimes the marketing isn't broad enough (but cost v return doesn't always justify a big spend).

But I do think they're trying hard.

My own view is that giving away 1,000 kids' season tickets for nothing as a massive promotion (perhaps via media partner, schools etc) would lead to future renewals, full price paying parents etc becoming attached to the club. There must be a way to do this sort of thing.

A nice Christmas present to anybody who has turned 9 years old this year ...

She's never going to forgive you o4u, no matter how much you kiss her arse (figuratively speaking, of course)!

I am in a strange place on this one.

Do I:

1) Continue to play the sexist stereotypical male (even though I'm really not that person)

2) Grovel directly

3) Grovel indirectly (as above, although after the Pie and Pint promotion it's justified)

4) Just pretend it never happened

5) Offer a candlelit dinner by way of apology and hope Mrs o4u doesn't notice

I am in a strange place on this one.

Do I:

1) Continue to play the sexist stereotypical male (even though I'm really not that person)

2) Grovel directly

3) Grovel indirectly (as above, although after the Pie and Pint promotion it's justified)

4) Just pretend it never happened

5) Offer a candlelit dinner by way of apology and hope Mrs o4u doesn't notice

6) All of the above

FIFY