John Battye in The Chron

Link

Our old friend John Battye was asked why he stood for the council again and his reply was: “Unfinished business.”

His biggest regret is not being around in 2001 to finish the Sports Park 2000 project which would have given Oldham Athletic a new home on Clayton Playing Fields.

He lays the blame squarely at the feet on the Liberal Democrats, who took charge of the council in 2000 when he lost his seat.

“One more year, that is all that was needed,” he mused, adding: “The majority of the money was in place, the planning permission was in place and we had permission from the Charity Commission to develop Clayton and replace the football fields on the site of the old stadium."

“Lots of untruths have been spoken and published about the project. There were three sets of plans: a 20,000-plus seater stadium with a roof at £27 million; a smaller stadium with a retractable roof at £20 million and a 16,000-seater standard stadium without cover."

“That last was our preferred option. We had £11 million in the bank from the sale of Westwood running track to B&Q, we had a further £2 million promised for stadium naming rights which left a shortfall of £3 million which could easily have been sourced at competitive rates on a stadium that was all-but funded."

“We had verbal promises from BSkyB to use the stadium as their northern hub for parking of their outside broadcast vehicles and as a northern studio."

“Everything was in place — and we just needed another 12 months.”

“Unfinished business.”

He was the asked 'where are we then, with the stadium situation?'

The article then says: The response spoke volumes — nothing of substance was said other than “We as a party, as a group, are prepared to make and take decisions..."

A bit of a cryptic response! I wonder what he could mean?

:detectivegm0:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm capacity, location, additional revenue streams, or are they simply going to re-build the old stand and leave us to rot!

Personally i think if they did re build us a brand new shiny stand with a bar and BB facilitys it will bring a few fans back. Re do the chaddy and the main the boom there you go.

Edited by LaticsLee

Cheaper to move away or stay?

Personally I'd prefer a move away aswell, we do need a new start and a new location, can only do us good!

What about all the fans it could potentially alienate?

Also, don't think their is a cheaper option either way.. Stay at BP could cost more to build, but more likely to please the fans.. Moving away may be cheaper, but could end up with us losing more fans..

If viable to re-build BP thats the new start there.. a turning point where the club and council actually get something done together.. no need for new location..

Interesting comments, we can only wonder how the club would have faired had the Sports Park 2000 project come off. One thing is for sure, we would have been in a much stronger position than we are today!!!

I'm reading between the lines, but I think Battye is suggesting a Sports Park 2000 type plan is resurrected...... the only thing about that is, we now have those houses where the Clayton Arms once stood!

Interesting comments, we can only wonder how the club would have faired had the Sports Park 2000 project come off. One thing is for sure, we would have been in a much stronger position than we are today!!!

I'm reading between the lines, but I think Battye is suggesting a Sports Park 2000 type plan is resurrected...... the only thing about that is, we now have those houses where the Clayton Arms once stood!

That's it, had no building taken place then all options would be open... Hotels, flats, leisure and corporate facilities. Don't know much about the business side of things but I wouldn't of thought there's enough land now to make us sustainable. I'd of thought there's not many better sites in Oldham than Clayton and BP to have a go with all that. If a new ground with all the extras was possible on the current site it'd be win win for me. Big talk from Battye

I have a large sledgehammer and a few hours to spare if it helps?.......

I thought the money to build was coming from the sale of BP and the land??

Where's the millions to re-develop BP coming from??

That's how I understood it too Gaz.

Unless £20m quid comes in from another source (extremly unlikely), other than the sale of the land that BP sits on, then the new stadium would have to be built elsewhere!

It's a simple equation unfortunately.

:(