Mike Newton back at Latics

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must be desperate if this guy is back in board…interfered far too much last time and showed his knowledge of the game by backing Penney and his chief dingaling Gray….

[/quote

I dont see the fuss, what I know is that our current administration is close to fecking uselss.

What have Barry and Ian done for the club?

We must be desperate if this guy is back in board…interfered far too much last time and showed his knowledge of the game by backing Penney and his chief dingaling Gray….

+1

God knows what was going through his head, "Penney just been sacked, now how to get the fans back on board...I know, go onto Laticsworld and give my public backing to Mediocre Martin, the other half of arguably the most unpopular management team at latics, ever!!!"

Ingenious :rolleyes:

Edited by Lookers_Carl

+1

God knows what was going through his head, "Penney just been sacked, now how to get the fans back on board...I know, go onto Laticsworld and give my public backing to Mediocre Martin, the other half of arguably the most unpopular management team at latics, ever!!!"

Ingenious :rolleyes:

I actually think Gray was unfortunate to be associated with Penney and may well have made a decent manager. I'm not saying he would have been a good appointment as it would have been too unpopular with the fans (many of whom would never have given him a chance to prove that he wasn't Penney mkII).

Newton's an oddball who brings nothing to the table but I think dismissing him for having an opinion on Gray as a potential manager is a tad shallow.

I actually think Gray was unfortunate to be associated with Penney and may well have made a decent manager. I'm not saying he would have been a good appointment as it would have been too unpopular with the fans (many of whom would never have given him a chance to prove that he wasn't Penney mkII).

Newton's an oddball who brings nothing to the table but I think dismissing him for having an opinion on Gray as a potential manager is a tad shallow.

Ok, how about he supposedly hasn't a pot to piss in? Stockport and Port Vale despite being in dire financial situations kept him at arms length, despite him doing his negotiating through the media and attempting to cosy up to the fans. The fact he supposedly spent more time at the training ground than he perhaps should have done and the fact he has far too much to say about the playing side. His whole persona last time was that of a person providing an answer to a question no-one was asking….

Ok, how about he supposedly hasn't a pot to piss in? Stockport and Port Vale despite being in dire financial situations kept him at arms length, despite him doing his negotiating through the media and attempting to cosy up to the fans. The fact he supposedly spent more time at the training ground than he perhaps should have done and the fact he has far too much to say about the playing side. His whole persona last time was that of a person providing an answer to a question no-one was asking….

What? Didn't I just say that he brings nothing to the table? Far from advocating his appointment to the position he's rumoured to be taking, I was simply saying that suggesting Martin Gray was potential management material didn't, on its own, make him completely unfit.

What? Didn't I just say that he brings nothing to the table? Far from advocating his appointment to the position he's rumoured to be taking, I was simply saying that suggesting Martin Gray was potential management material didn't, on its own, make him completely unfit.

From what I heard at the time, Gray was in the box seat but blew it when the team put in such an abject performance on the final day v Charlton even then Newton wanted him!

Unfortunately he was always going to be tarred with the same brush as Penney. He had the chance to at least show he could do things differently in ther last game of that season vs Charlton and failed miserably.

Gray was the players choice at the time too, they all loved him! (from a player at the time)

Wonder if Gray did more than Taggart, not seen the latter do owt apart from queue for a brew at Ashton, hit a couple of Carlisle subs and that's it. Didn't do owt on the open training day either and I've never seen anyone look so disinterested. Maybe that's his demeanour, but whilst we're all crying out for experience ON THE FIELD - I think Dickov could do worse than look over his shoulder and decide if he needs an experienced head alongside, that has half a clue how to stop this awful run of 3 wins in 25.. and how we can bring back a goalscoring threat, first item on the agenda from what I've seen? They definitely need to tell young Matt to head the ball feckin' DOWN!!!!!

Wonder if Gray did more than Taggart, not seen the latter do owt apart from queue for a brew at Ashton, hit a couple of Carlisle subs and that's it. Didn't do owt on the open training day either and I've never seen anyone look so disinterested. Maybe that's his demeanour, but whilst we're all crying out for experience ON THE FIELD - I think Dickov could do worse than look over his shoulder and decide if he needs an experienced head alongside, that has half a clue how to stop this awful run of 3 wins in 25.. and how we can bring back a goalscoring threat, first item on the agenda from what I've seen? They definitely need to tell young Matt to head the ball feckin' DOWN!!!!!

For 2 former players who's hallmark was never say die its surprising this message isn't getting through to some players.

Edited by BP1960

Crikey we are struggling for any external help so despite reservations are we in any position to dismiss his input. To write off a £500000 investment so easily ..figure thats popping up a lot......can we? If we had another 3 or 4 with similar interest perhaps but who?????? We appear to write off anyone who shows any interest. Not a Newton fan as know little about the bloke but who does.....

Until the cavalry appears with a euro millions cheque in hand its possibly as good as it gets.

Before the abuse ..... other suggestions? just one?

Nope as my previous post , I agree... I dont see any of the current directors ( Apart from Corney) digging deep

Said this last season. Taggart has shown nothing so far, and poor defensive mistakes still abound.

Serious improvement is neeeded fast.

Just like I never implied that suggesting Gray for manager made him completely unfit. Rather if he wanted to get fans onside, he should have thought twice about endorsing one half of arguably the most unpopular Latics management team in a long long time, for the vacant managerial position at the time, especially considering the drastic drop in attendances towards the end of the season.

Martin Gray shot himself in the foot in a similar way when he said on Laticsworld and in the Chron "He [Penney] is a fantastic man. People have opinions but for me, he was a fantastic manager to work for and a fantastic boss."

At the end of the day its his opinion, he is more than entitled to it, and holding this opinion did not make him 'unfit' for the job. However, it certainly did his popularity with the fans, and his chances of getting the job, no good at all. When Penney left he had an oppotunity to put himself across as his own man with his own ideas. He could have come out and distanced himself from Penney and the way he done things without being disrespectful to him, whilst at the same time stating his own credentials and trying to sell himself to Latics fans. Instead, he comes out with a ringing endorsement of one of the worst Latics managers we have had in some considerable time.

Just like I never implied that suggesting Gray for manager made him completely unfit. Rather if he wanted to get fans onside, he should have thought twice about endorsing one half of arguably the most unpopular Latics management team in a long long time, for the vacant managerial position at the time, especially considering the drastic drop in attendances towards the end of the season.

Martin Gray shot himself in the foot in a similar way when he said on Laticsworld and in the Chron "He [Penney] is a fantastic man. People have opinions but for me, he was a fantastic manager to work for and a fantastic boss."

At the end of the day its his opinion, he is more than entitled to it, and holding this opinion did not make him 'unfit' for the job. However, it certainly did his popularity with the fans, and his chances of getting the job, no good at all. When Penney left he had an oppotunity to put himself across as his own man with his own ideas. He could have come out and distanced himself from Penney and the way he done things without being disrespectful to him, whilst at the same time stating his own credentials and trying to sell himself to Latics fans. Instead, he comes out with a ringing endorsement of one of the worst Latics managers we have had in some considerable time.

I'd call that loyalty. As for Newton, directors don't really have to make themselves popular with the fans. If they did, Alan Hardy would be a distant memory.