Dickov Let Down

From Beeb

Oldham manager Paul Dickov told BBC Radio Manchester:

"The players have been talking all week how they are going to put right second-half performances, but talk's cheap and I thought there was a lack of desire.

"One thing I'm not going to do is panic but it's not acceptable coming here and losing 3-1.

"The players know they've let themselves and fans down and between us we've got to pick them up."

One thing struck me - if the performance was unacceptable and a number of players let their heads drop then why only bring one sub on?

Surely at three nil down there was nothing to lose and a statement to be made to the team? :blink:

A year ago today we did Notts County 3-0.

I don't think the players, individually, were better than those who have played this season.

But their atitude and commitment were.

I was thinking the same thing.

On paper the side has improved, overall

TEam v Notts County

Dean Brill

Kieran Lee

Reuben Hazell

Jason Jarrett

Paul Black

Ritchie Jones

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Lewis Alessandra

Djeny Bembo-Leta

Oumare Tounkara

Substitutes :

Josh Ollerenshaw

Jean Yves Mvoto

Dean Kelly

Chris Taylor

Sean Gregan

Kirk Millar

Andy Holdsworth

Edited by singe

On Football Manager I show my anger at the team then storm out of the news conference

On football manager i delete the hole team then import messi ronaldo etc etc and also give myself 900 billion pounds :D thank the lord for FMRTE

A year ago today we did Notts County 3-0.

I don't think the players, individually, were better than those who have played this season.

But their atitude and commitment were.

I think that's a good point. I actually think the players he's brought in are generally an improvement on what we had then but has Dickov sacrificed his requirement that the players he recruits must have right attitude in an effort to try and improve on quality?

TEam v Notts County

Dean Brill

Kieran Lee

Reuben Hazell

Jason Jarrett

Paul Black

Ritchie Jones

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Lewis Alessandra

Djeny Bembo-Leta

Oumare Tounkara

Substitutes :

Josh Ollerenshaw

Jean Yves Mvoto

Dean Kelly

Chris Taylor

Sean Gregan

Kirk Millar

Andy Holdsworth

Nope, that team is better than the one now.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

TEam v Notts County

Dean Brill

Kieran Lee

Reuben Hazell

Jason Jarrett

Paul Black

Ritchie Jones

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Lewis Alessandra

Djeny Bembo-Leta

Oumare Tounkara

Substitutes :

Josh Ollerenshaw

Jean Yves Mvoto

Dean Kelly

Chris Taylor

Sean Gregan

Kirk Millar

Andy Holdsworth

Much more experience

In years gone by we got in old heads to steady the ship - Mick McGuire & Paul Jones spring to mind - not sure if these types are around these days on affordable wages but I think that we could do with some experience - I'd take a bore draw at Scunny & a lucky win versus the Dale now - goals win games and they have been a massive problem since not long after the turn of the year - Smith is a massive gamble that may yet come off (fingers crossed) but he looked like a poor man's Ormondroyd/O'Callaghan versus the Blades - KTF - I'd be happy with staying up, not going bust and starting to re-develop Boundary Park at the end of this season - anything else, e.g. a cup run, would be a massive bonus & to be honest a bit of a shock

Nope, that team is better than the one now.

Short memories, pre seaon people were saying how the signings were an improvement,

HEnce why I said on paper. Not the the last 3 matches performances

Experienced does not mean a better player.

Every single person said Cisak was better then Brill. Brill is at Barnet LEague 2 and they are struggling too.

Every single person though Diamond, until Yeolvil, is an imrpvement on Hazell. Currently at Shrewsbury LEague 2 and struggling.

Gregan was past it then, about the pace of an old traction engine, experienced but glacial. Released by Fleetwood now at Kendal Town 4 divisions below us.

CAnnot recall anyone shedding tears when Jones left, League 2 struggling

Lewis Allessandra, donlt think anyone will ever work that one out LEague 2

You can't change the view on the back of a couplr or even one match

Short memories, pre seaon people were saying how the signings were an improvement,

Every single person said Cisak was better then Brill. Brill is at Barnet LEague 2 and they are struggling too.

Every single person though Diamond, until Yeolvil, is an imrpvement on Hazell. Currently at Shrewsbury LEague 2 and struggling.

Gregan was past it then, about the pace of an old traction engine, experienced but glacial. Released by Fleetwood now at Kendal Town 4 divisions below us.

The signings are better but the problem is that we let 15 players go or return to their clubs and brought 5 in…we've lost experience and maybe a bit of vocality in the dressing room. The players that have the shirts know they are theirs for keeps, and can afford to let their heads drop as at the moment they are a shoe-in for the week after no matter what. I don't want to name names but one or two let their heads drop every week, one especially and given his background and ability I've found it particularly disappointing…..he's left off where he was at the back end of last season

Great defence by using what the 'folks' on here said. But..

Cisak is miles better than Brill. Granted.

Hazell is better than Diamond.

Granted Jarrett was rubbish.

Jones was better than erm... no one.

Stephens was one of our best players and hasn't been replaced.

LOOK AT THE SUBS BENCH

I can't agree with Dickov on this. There were no obvious signs of players lacking desire yesterday, far from it. Even at 3-0 down we kept pushing forward looking for a goal. We lost because the players didn't play well and made mistakes, not because they didn't put the effort in.

That's beside the fact that Dickov set the team up poorly and was far from blameless for the defeat. He needs to look at himself before blaming others, especially before blaming others publicly.

I can't agree with Dickov on this. There were no obvious signs of players lacking desire yesterday, far from it. Even at 3-0 down we kept pushing forward looking for a goal. We lost because the players didn't play well and made mistakes, not because they didn't put the effort in.

That's beside the fact that Dickov set the team up poorly and was far from blameless for the defeat. He needs to look at himself before blaming others, especially before blaming others publicly.

Heads dropped in the 2 previous games as well, I think he means they have a lack of belief in general.

To me we are no different to the team that let heads go down from Jan to end of last season.

PD's record during the last 8 months is extremely poor to say the least and unless he finds a solution and quick we are down this season.

No good getting rid because the next manager would have no money and probably just want to bring his own players in for which we wouldn't have the money anyway.

We are in a dire situation both financially and playing staff wise and IF PD keeps us up this season he will become a good manager ??

Heads dropped in the 2 previous games as well, I think he means they have a lack of belief in general.

Fair enough if that was the case in the earlier games, although I didn't sense that yesterday. I'd prefer it if Dickov gave his players the benefit of the doubt at this stage in the season, saying that I think he might be able to judge the situation better than me! :)