Walsall: Directions, Beer & Food

NOTE: This information may be out-of-date in an ever-changing world.

Banks's Stadium, Bescot Crescent, Walsall, WS1 4SA

Away supporters are housed in the Dains (William Sharp) Stand at one end of the ground, where around 2,000 away supporters can be accommodated under cover. There are a few supporting pillars at the front which could impede your view. The good news though, is that even a small number of away fans can really make some noise and a good atmosphere.

The away end is served by a food kiosk in each corner near to the toilets, which creates a bit of a bottle neck at half-time. The food though, if you are prepared to wait, is excellent, especially the chicken balti pies (Walsall claims to be the first club to sell them).

Disabled facilities:

The club provides 25 parking spaces for home and away fans, which incorporates the full range of disability with orange / blue badge. Access is level around and throughout the stadium

There are 35 wheelchair spaces with 35 carers’ seats alongside across the length of the Walsall Bite Size Stand at pitch-side for use by home and away supporters. The Purple Stand has 66 wheelchair/carer spaces on its concourse

There is a purpose-built lounge with toilet facilities for disabled supporters and their carers under the Walsall Bite Size Stand which contains catering facilities with dropped counters. There are two fully-trained stewards in the room to assist as and when required.

How to get there:

By train:

Trains from Walsall take three minutes to Bescot rail station and the Stadium is a two-minute walk.

Trains run there on a local line from Birmingham New Street and the journey time is around 20 minutes. There is a regular service on Saturdays along this line but it is advisable to check on the Tuesday night service.

By bus:

Buses leave from Bradford Place Bus Staion in the town centre. Services 401 and 405 stop on Bescot Crescent outside the stadium and service 404 stops on West Bromwich Road, a short walk from the stadium.

By car:

The ground is right next to the M6, in fact you can see it from the motorway just north of the RAC Control Centre. Unfortunately, this stretch of motorway normally has a large traffic jam on both Saturday lunchtimes and early weekday evenings, so allow extra time.

From The M6 North:

Leave the M6 at Junction 9 and take the A461 towards Walsall. Bear right on to the A4148 (Wallowes Lane) and turn right at the second set of traffic lights. You will see the ground on your left.

From M6 South:

Leave the M6 at Junction 7 and take the A34 towards Walsall (beware though of speed cameras on this stretch of dual carriageway). At the end of the dual carriageway turn left at the Bell Inn public house into Walstead Road (sign-posted Bescot Stadium, Bescot Station Park & Ride). Continue straight on this road for two miles, passing another pub called the Tiger on your left. You will come to Bescot Stadium and entrance to the away end on your right.

Car Parking:

There is a good-sized car park located at the ground (cost £3) behind the away stand. Bescot Railway Station also offers car parking for £2. Alternatively there is some street parking off Wallowes Lane.

Parking is not permitted on the retail park and avoid parking on the nearby Morrisons Supermarket car park (built on the site of the old Fellows Park), as unless you can prove that you are shopping there, you run the risk of being wheel-clamped.

Where to drink:

Note: Alcohol is now served inside the stadium.

More often than not The Saddlers Club allows away fans in for £1, but you have to get there early - opens at 5:00pm on Tuesdays - because, with there being so few pubs in the vicinity, it gets busy and then priority is given to home fans.

The Saddlers Club situated just outside the stadium is no longer available to away supporters. Just across the road from the away end is the Park Inn Hotel, which has a sizeable bar and allows in visiting supporters.

NOTE: Away fans should avoid the Fulbrook pub near to the stadium.

The nearest recommended pub is the King George V in Wallowes Lane, but it gets busy which can make it a bit difficult to get served quickly. It is about a 15 minute walk away, opposite the Morrisons Supermarket. If you are walking from the stadium, go out of the official car park and past McDonald's on your right. Take a left turn into Wallowes Lane. At the end of the lane turn left onto the main road and the pub is just set back on the left.

Where to eat:

The Saddlers Club serves food for the early birds, and there is a McDonald's at the retail park adjoining the stadium.

There is of course the option of staying more central, where there are more pubs and prospects of food and getting a taxi to the stadium. There is a Wetherspoon’s called The Imperial close to the train station that might be worth a look.

Walsall attractions:

If you have plenty of time and want to find out more about local industrial heritage, why Walsall FC is known as ‘The Saddlers’ and how they make footballs, you can visit the Leather Museum on Littleton Street.

Also there is the Walsall Museum on the third floor of the Central Library building

Town centre short and long-stay pay and display car parks are located on Intown Row, less than 500 metres from the Museum. There are disabled parking spaces available on Tower Street, behind the Central Library building. The Museum is a short walk away from local bus and train stations.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

NOTE: The 'Where to drink' section of the first post has been amended to give an alternative to the poplar Saddlers' Club, which is no longer available. 

As a side note I can remember going into their club nearly 50 years ago and after a few pints asked for a sandwich and was told they'd only baguettes left, a beef one of which I bought having no clue what one was ( being a simple Oldham lad ).

After consuming a really good beef and salad baguette ? I decided to purchase another for half time only to be told they only had ham ones left. I bought one after jokingly expressing my disappointment at there being no beef one's left.

The next season we returned to the midlands and on entering the social club went to order drinks to be greeted by a barmaid saying "We've done extra beef one's this year !".

Naturally I bought two, even though I'd brought butties on this occasion.

Sorry if I've bored you but it sticks in my memory as a thoughtful gesture and was indicative of the hospitality we received at many grounds in those days. 🦕 👨‍🦳

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

As a side note I can remember going into their club nearly 50 years ago and after a few pints asked for a sandwich and was told they'd only baguettes left, a beef one of which I bought having no clue what one was ( being a simple Oldham lad ).

After consuming a really good beef and salad baguette ? I decided to purchase another for half time only to be told they only had ham ones left. I bought one after jokingly expressing my disappointment at there being no beef one's left.

The next season we returned to the midlands and on entering the social club went to order drinks to be greeted by a barmaid saying "We've done extra beef one's this year !".

Naturally I bought two, even though I'd brought butties on this occasion.

Sorry if I've bored you but it sticks in my memory as a thoughtful gesture and was indicative of the hospitality we received at many grounds in those days. 🦕 👨‍🦳

Jeeez, that was Nouveau Cuisine back then. You were being a pioneer. When did you first spot a baguette in Oldham? Did you tell people it's the future

12 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Jeeez, that was Nouveau Cuisine back then. You were being a pioneer. When did you first spot a baguette in Oldham? Did you tell people it's the future

No I wasn't a radical ( didn't even know what a barm cake was ) oven bottom muffins was the nearest I got to being a groundbreaker ! 😀 

13 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No I wasn't a radical ( didn't even know what a barm cake was ) oven bottom muffins was the nearest I got to being a groundbreaker ! 😀 

Speaking of cuisine, first time I’ve seen a ‘Wigan Kebab’ sold at BP on Saturday. For those uneducated types, it’s a meat & potato pie and mushy peas inside of a muffin. Was tasty but pricey at £4.50 a go.

1 minute ago, ceskylatic said:

Speaking of cuisine, first time I’ve seen a ‘Wigan Kebab’ sold at BP on Saturday. For those uneducated types, it’s a meat & potato pie and mushy peas inside of a muffin. Was tasty but pricey at £4.50 a go.

Sorry mate a Wigan Kebab is 3 meat and potato pies on a skewer. Thats a breakast barm you had, lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Sorry mate a Wigan Kebab is 3 meat and potato pies on a skewer. Thats a breakast barm you had, lol

Is it the difference between Wigan sheesh and doner? I love a mushy pea, but at breakfast? 

Edited by Magic Mikey

A Wigan Sheesh is four pies  as they have to  take a break because of the pie sweats and the word shit comes out that way. Wiganers dont care who the doner is as long as they get the pie.

I have posted before about how Wiganers calling themselves an pie eaters is just an obfuscation and nothing to do with the amount of pies they eat. If you want to know the real reason just ask.

I've been in the Saddler's Club a couple of times and it really wasn't any great shakes, even if it was convenient (30 yards from the away turnstiles).

The last couple of times we went there we did our drinking in the Wellington on Bennett's Hill in Brum. It is less than five minutes walk from New Street and if you like real ale you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. I'm not sure whether they sell lager or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercater said:

A Wigan Sheesh is four pies  as they have to  take a break because of the pie sweats and the word shit comes out that way. Wiganers dont care who the doner is as long as they get the pie.

I have posted before about how Wiganers calling themselves an pie eaters is just an obfuscation and nothing to do with the amount of pies they eat. If you want to know the real reason just ask.

I thought the humble pie after the failed strike was common knowledge. 

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I've been in the Saddler's Club a couple of times and it really wasn't any great shakes, even if it was convenient (30 yards from the away turnstiles).

The last couple of times we went there we did our drinking in the Wellington on Bennett's Hill in Brum. It is less than five minutes walk from New Street and if you like real ale you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. I'm not sure whether they sell lager or not.

Just the latest in a string of quality posts from you, Basil. The Wellington is an absolute gem and well worth visiting.

I've been to a few of our games at Walsall over the years as it's just up the road for me. I remember wandering about outside the ground before KO days before we knocked Liverpool out of the Cup and seeing Matt Smith being interviewed by a camera crew. That was entertaining but a minute or two later I was surprised to see Paul Dickov walking towards me, all on his own! I wished him good luck and he smiled and said thanks. A few days later he was out of a job and in the TV studio for the Liverpool game. I still remember him punching the air with delight when Wabara scored, always liked him for that.

My other vivid memory (may have been the same Walsall game, so not that vivid!) was Lee Croft poleaxing one of their players near the touchline, only about 10-15 minutes into the game. Straight red card, Dickov was livid with him!

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

What is this 'lager' of which you speak? 😂