England 'disrespect' the Haka

My son is becoming obsessed with the Haka. I seem to remember England walking into it once, he doesnt believe me that anyone would be so silly. Did I imagine it? Ive had a scoot around youtube but I cant find anything????

Yep, Im sure it was Jason Leonard who went up and eyeballed the captain, who was told by Martin Johnston immediatley after what the F...k have you done that for....

Ireland did it also in the early 90's

I thought it was that not especially good but arsey hooker we had in the 90s who famously did it but there always used to be some eyeballing. Why you should let them do an intimidating war dance with no reply is beyond me, it puts them on the front foot before an egg is chased.

I thought it was that not especially good but arsey hooker we had in the 90s who famously did it but there always used to be some eyeballing. Why you should let them do an intimidating war dance with no reply is beyond me, it puts them on the front foot before an egg is chased.

I can see it now

ymca.jpg

Yep it was Cockerill who stared them down see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfX5G3jIXWQ

In all honestly teams should either do that (as a whole), do something like the staying alive dance, or ignore it completely and do some warm ups at the other end of the pitch.

The all blacks don't have to do the haka, Wales made them do it in the changing room, and they would stop if it gave them a perceived disadvantage.

The haka is all to do with laying down a challenge (apparently) to the opposing teams so i don't see why some folk get up in arms about 'disrespecting' it when teams do anything but stand there and watch. I think its good when the opposition come back at them some how (Wales effort recently springs to mind) sorta like a 'challenge accepted'!

Brian Moore also got 'up-close & personal' with the All Blacks whilst they performed the Haka back in the early 90's IIRC.

I know a fair bit about the Haka, as I actually teach it as one of the energiser events we run (work for a corporate teambuilding company).

For those interested; this is taken straight from the delegate booklets we utilise as part of the activity:

History & Cultural Meanings:

There are many Haka’s that have been composed, thousands in fact. The Haka "Ka Mate" is the most well known Haka. It was composed by a famous New Zealand Maori chief by the name of 'Te Rauparaha' in the early 19th century, a time of great change, migration and war for the tribes of New Zealand. Whilst being pursued by his enemies in war, Te Rauparaha took shelter with an ally, Te Wharerangi. Te Rauparaha was hidden, sheltered from the light and his enemy. He used the words of this Haka 'Ka Mate' to express his fear, courage, gratitude, strength and determination to live.

The Haka is a composition played by many instruments. Hands, feet, legs, body, voice, tongue, and eyes all play their part in blending together to convey in their fullness the challenge, welcome, exultation, defiance or contempt of the words.

It is disciplined, yet emotional. More than any other aspect of Maori culture, this complex dance is an expression of the passion, vigour and identity of the team. It is at its best, truly, a message of the soul expressed by words and posture.

The Haka is a war dance. The words are chanted loudly (shouted) in a menacing way accompanied by arm actions and foot stamping. A Haka was traditionally performed before charging into battle.

The Maori pronunciation is basically one vowel per syllable, with the vowels having the European rather than English sound. The ‘wh' is aspirated almost like an `f' (f is good enough for most people).

As for what it all means, about 140 years ago, a particularly notorious warlike chief named Te Rauparaha of the Ngati Toa tribe (based just North of present day Wellington), was being chased by his enemies. He hid in a kumara pit (the local sweet potato, only much better) and waited in the dark for his pursuers to find him. He heard sounds above and thought he was done for when the top of the pit was opened up and sunshine flooded in. He was blinded and struggled to see those about to slay him, when his sight cleared and he instead saw the hairy legs of the local chief (reputed to have been exceptionally hirsute) who had hid him. Te Rauparaha is said to have jumped from the pit and performed this haka on the spot, so happy was he to have escaped. Undoubtedly, he also had in his mind to do a little pursuing of his own --- Te Rauparaha being that way inclined was he.

Words & Translations:

Version (a.)

Ka mate! Ka mate!

Ka ora, Ka ora!

Ka mate! Ka mate!

Ka ora, Ka ora!

Tenei te tangata puhuruhuru

Nana nei I tiki mai whakawhiti te ra!

Hupane! Kaupane!

Hupane! Kaupane!

Whiti te ra!

I die! I die!

I live! I live!

This is the hairy person

Who fetched the sun

And caused it to shine again

One upward step! Another upward step!

An upward step, another and the sun shines!

Considering the majortity of the NZ team are not maori, aren't they the ones disrespecting it.

Not really Jim. A bit of a grey area granted yes; but consider the following. The "newer" Haka I posted above has been used for a few years now, and was first led by Tana Umaga who was the All Black captain of the time. He is of Samoan descent. However, the 'newer' haka is more reflective of the multi-cultural reality of the incumbent All Black squad ie. Caucasion, Maori, Samoan, Tongan and Fijian.

The bottom line is that it's not a mandatory stipulation but it is fairly common to have someone of Maori descent lead the Haka. It's a grey area but as its not an out-right stipulation; it's why I can get away with leading the teaching of it; having no birth link to New Zealand / not being of Maori descent.

Hope that clears it up; maybe?

Considering the majortity of the NZ team are not maori, aren't they the ones disrespecting it.

IIRC Maori in terms of Rugby is slightly different, Carlos Spencer who isn't a full Maori has led the haka and Christian Cullen who is of Irish/German ancestory played for the NZ Maori side despite being "about 1/64th" Maori.

Good link to make people hate the game even more.

Facist Union bumboys

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/badge-of-dishonour-french-rugbys-shameful-secret-401557.html

On the flip-side Jean-Marie Le Pen, France's equivalent of Nick Griffin but further right, bigger, fatter and less homosexual, was highly critical of "non-French" players in both RU and football. The French RU captain at the time was a massive Moroccan called Abdel Benazzi who was singled out for criticsm, as a coincidence both Benazzi and Le Pen were at the same dinner a few weeks later. Benazzi went up to Le Pen as asked if he was looking for him due to some recent comments, Le Pen failed to verbally respond (although he probably shat himself).

I can't see the likes of Robinson, Offiah or Hanley doing that to a fatter bigger Nick Griffin alike.

Plus there are 14 teams in Super League and 14 teams in the top flight of French Rugby Union, I know where my money is going for which has more "non-caucasians" in the teams and it isn't the one based in England.