Latics 0 - 2 Bury

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth are our paceless centre halfs so far forward that one hoofed ball has them turning . The keeper had no chance. It's not rocket science ,if the centre halfs aren't quick they must play deeper or not square.

Terrific save by Gerrard , but yet more shambolic defending giving the 2 goals.

A very spirited second half performance , Simpson was outstanding once again.

The midfield sat deep again in the early stages allowing Bury to take the initiative, Adeyemi was like a rabbit caught in headlights and it was a major surprise to me he wasn't substituted at half time so inept was his performance.

Yes Latics were down to 10 men, but they were being outplayed before that.

As said earlier Simpson was exceptional and surely the manager must now see his rightful place is in central midfield alongside Furman.

Kuqi's miss just after they went 1-0 up may have changed things I suppose, but I'm getting a bit pissed off with these games where we only turn up for half of them.

We're going to miss Simpson's free kick delivery when he returns to Huddersfield.

Their manager on the radio just now made a point of saying they thought they could get at both our full backs, but the centre halfs weren't exactly on song for the first 45 minutes.

Did Diamond throw a punch at their striker late in the game - and miss?

Simpson was exceptional and surely the manager must now see his rightful place is in central midfield alongside Furman.

Not sure that had even crossed my mind!

Edited by opinions4u

Why take the lad from city off after the sending off and david Mellor is not a defender,week in week out teams are tearing us apart down the left wing

My first reaction was to take Simpson off, who then puts in a performance head and shoulders above that of the rest of the team.

If Scappuzzi is a "luxury" player then I suppose I understand the decision. But I don't think we organised outfront 5 until the second half. When we did, we actually played quite well.

As for Mellor, he looks bloody good going forwards. Stick him in left midfield Tuesday night.

Thought Cisak had an outstanding game......until the 9th minute......he hasn't got a rush in him! He is so slow! Good reactions but doesn't know when to rush. He doesn't rush for the ball when were losing, he doesn't rush to kick the fecking thing when we're losing and he certainly doesn't rush when there's a 1 on 1.

I saw some passion coming from Taylor and Furman which was pleasing. Also Kuqi but he tried scoring whenever he got the ball rather than passing. Diamond I thought played well, Clarke played ok but wish he would stop doing the long throws unless Dickov tells someone to get on the end of it cos it seemed tonight that they didn't win one of them. Mellor, I'd of dropped him at half time. He didn't play well at all for me in the first half. Played better second half but still not enough.

Should have taken Adeyemi off after the sending off, I thought he was anonymous.

Diamond had an absolute stinker, way too slow and miles off the pace. Doesn't read the game well at all.

Thought Simpson and Kieron Lee were the only decent performers. Except for Paul Gerrard, who was magnificent.

The Tories in power and Paul Gerrard in goal, feels like 1992.

Clarke had a stinker and at fault for penalty, should have cleared the ball. He was to tight to bishop on the first and should have headed the second away but was caught out by the cross.

Mellor is so exposed defensively, taaylor doesn't help him.

Diamond has the turning circle of a cruise ship.

Why did we show them so much respect in the first half, bury ain't f&cking Barcelona but we made them look like it.

Why did it take dickov a full half before changing to 441?

Adeyemi, forgot he was playing - he's good at going missing!

Lee played we'll as did Simpson.

taylor should have gone down when elbowed and made the ref make a decision, stays on his feet and tried to play on for the first time in history.

Kuqi looked frustrated as hell.

Felt sorry for the italiian - was gutted he was taken off.

A decent atmosphere, bury fans were good.

Was morals on bench?

Had we had got a goal in the 2nd I thinking bury would have caved in.

Gutted??

Edited by NIKI1234

Most teams seem to want it more than Latics when they come to BP, I fear the worst against Crewe and Burton as they will certainly up for it.

The current centre backs are slow and not as imposing as they should be, time to give the classy Tarkowski a run.

Problems at left back, centre back, and central midfield need to be sorted by the manager as soon as possible.

Keep Simpson if possible, but Adeyemi can go back to Norwich for me.

Can anyone figure out why Spapuzzi was played wide on the right ?...the lad like like he had never played that position before.

we were unlucky today, couldnt have done anything about the red, and we were never going to win from then on. we played with some spirit and 11 vs 11 we'd have got something out of that.

on another day the long ball will have gone straight into the keepers hands, kuqi will have scored just after they did, matt smith's shot will have looped in and we'd have won. can't argue with the result, bury were great passers and stretched us, schumacher and jones in midfield were great and bishop upfront was MOTM.

onto the next game, shame about the red because it spoiled a promising start, but it was a good game, we didnt give up, and we'll just have to go and beat crewe on tuesday

it was telling that as soon as we went down to 10 bury put absolutely everything down our left hand side where mellor was struggling. taylor completely abandoned his responsibility to protect him. a joke.

I thought we were pathetic first half. started slowly & then looked beaten & gutless with 10 men.

second half was a great effort & with a bit of luck we would have got a point. bury clearly couldn't handle the ball in the air & smith scared the hell out of them. if we'd got one anything could have happened, they were rocking.

simpson was MOM by a country mile. special moment seeing gerrard back in goal, shame we didn't get a result to go with it.

we were unlucky today, couldnt have done anything about the red, and we were never going to win from then on. we played with some spirit and 11 vs 11 we'd have got something out of that.

on another day the long ball will have gone straight into the keepers hands, kuqi will have scored just after they did, matt smith's shot will have looped in and we'd have won. can't argue with the result, bury were great passers and stretched us, schumacher and jones in midfield were great and bishop upfront was MOTM.

onto the next game, shame about the red because it spoiled a promising start, but it was a good game, we didnt give up, and we'll just have to go and beat crewe on tuesday

My thoughts exactly as i thought Bury played how a team should against 10 men. They passed the ball around well enough and stretched us and it showed we were a man short. Thought we did fairly well in the 2nd half and looked the better side though possibly due to Bury not pushing as much and looking to kill the game. It just wasn't goin to be our day after the sending off, as right as it was, i felt it spoilt what could have been a very close derby game but hey ho, lets not get too down, lets get onto these two cup games and have at least a run in one of them so to give us something to cheer about this year.

Oddly enough i don't feel as bad as i did after last week and today was a defeat too, though admittedly i did break down on the M60 and was stood on the hard shoulder for 2 1/2 hours in the pissing rain after the game!

Edited by Oafc88

I must be a sadist.

I really enjoyed the game, thought we deserved at least a goal and had enough chances to make it a draw too.

Bury should be worried, think they only managed two shots on target the second half.

No MOTM for me, they ALL put a shift in today. Proud of them.

Glad Bristol Pete and Macca made it up to BP for their 1st home game as well meeting briefly OAFC BOB.

did anyone else here people booing Mancini when his name was read out before the game & again when he came on?

I despair sometimes.

Yes, not sure how maliciously it was intended, though. A lot of people who did it seemed to laugh after doing it.

Not sure there was really any point in bringing him on when we did - maybe he's just on work experience...

Think that's probably the most optimistic I've felt after a home defeat for a long time. Dickov must have given the kind of half-time team talk that was required last weekend, as though we were fantastic second half. Missed a load of chances and hit the bar - we would have been good value for a point.

No complaints about the red card, but the ref was dire in the second half - we had a couple of good shouts for penalties and can't believe he missed their bloke swing his arm in Furman's face. Also, why did we give the ball back to them in the resulting drop-ball?? They didn't kick the ball out AND had fouled our player - they should have been giving the ball back to us!

The centre-back position is still an area of concern - their second goal from the corner should have been dealt with and I bet Cisak isn't thanking Clarke for dithering for the sending off. I think we actually need Tarky back, with M'Voto partnering.

Better crowd than I was expecting and it looked like there was a decent atmosphere in the RRE - credit again to Latics' young fans for getting some songs going.

Was also nostalgic to see Paul Gerrard back between the sticks - saw his first team debut back in 1992/93 at QPR. As a mate said, I bet he loved every minute of it today....

Man of the match I'd say was probably Chris Taylor.

Edited by JoeP

Thought Bury looked very professional today,well drilled, confident on the ball albeit against 10 men,think most of them are from Alan Knills squad,looks like he assembled a well organised outfit before moving to Scunny

I thought Clark was to blame for both of their goals today. He was too hesitant for the first one, he should've completely cleared the ball and he lost Bishop for the second. Very poor decision-making.

Mellor needs to be dropped at left back as well. The opposition have targeted him every time over the last half dozen games and it has always caused us trouble. He seems to have quality going forward but he's not a left back.....

The second one is a soft goal but I didn't realise how poor Clarke was on the penalty. Jesus that is shocking. I've seen the wife move faster round the Trafford Centre.

Slight doubts over whether it is actually a pen, I think Bishop's played for it. I suppose I'd expect it to be given at the other end.

Forgot to mention Matt Smith when he came on. I was disappointed by his cameo at Preston. There was a buzz about his play yesterday. Well used.

Did anyone else notice M'Voto ready to come on and then not get utilised? What was that all about?

Thought Cisak had an outstanding game......until the 9th minute......he hasn't got a rush in him! He is so slow! Good reactions but doesn't know when to rush. He doesn't rush for the ball when were losing, he doesn't rush to kick the fecking thing when we're losing and he certainly doesn't rush when there's a 1 on 1.

I saw some passion coming from Taylor and Furman which was pleasing. Also Kuqi but he tried scoring whenever he got the ball rather than passing. Diamond I thought played well, Clarke played ok but wish he would stop doing the long throws unless Dickov tells someone to get on the end of it cos it seemed tonight that they didn't win one of them. Mellor, I'd of dropped him at half time. He didn't play well at all for me in the first half. Played better second half but still not enough.

diamonds not played well since he got here..he is crap....constantly out of position and bad decision making....the keeper shouldnt have had to make a decision to come out for the ball,the defender should have got it first....

taylor...second half ok he improved..first half constantly wandered infield leaving the flank wide open for them to race down and cross,had he stuck to his position they would have been forced to come down the middle where we would have broke it down....

you wont have to worry about mellor playing crap,hes gone in january to a prem side he is that bad!!!!

Slight doubts over whether it is actually a pen, I think Bishop's played for it. I suppose I'd expect it to be given at the other end.

think it was a red all day long, bishop pushed it past him and cisak couldnt get out of the way quick enough. it was unfortunate but its hard to complain and like you say, if it was kuqi knocking it past their keeper, you'd expect a red.

the annoying thing is though, watching the football league show, there was a similar incident that resulted in a penalty (i think in the stevanage/sheff utd game) but no red card. if we're without cisak for a game or three and had a decision that cost us the game, its unfair that another team will keep their keeper for the next few games too.

Did anyone else notice M'Voto ready to come on and then not get utilised? What was that all about?

dickov said on radio manc that he was thinking about putting him up top as a striker but then he thought about it and decided that m'voto would get in the way, and mancini would be better to hopefully get onto a knock-down. good to see him thinking about it.