Latics 0 - 2 Bury

The second one is a soft goal but I didn't realise how poor Clarke was on the penalty. Jesus that is shocking. I've seen the wife move faster round the Trafford Centre.

Slight doubts over whether it is actually a pen, I think Bishop's played for it. I suppose I'd expect it to be given at the other end.

Forgot to mention Matt Smith when he came on. I was disappointed by his cameo at Preston. There was a buzz about his play yesterday. Well used.

Did anyone else notice M'Voto ready to come on and then not get utilised? What was that all about?

Aye i noticed that, M'voto didn't look to happy in the end! Noticed that about Dickov in last few home games, about to bring someone on and then changed his mind last min. Also heard that Morais was quite pissed off before the game yesterday as he was left out altogether. Anyone else hear anything about that?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also heard that Morais was quite pissed off before the game yesterday as he was left out altogether. Anyone else hear anything about that?

Saw him walking up Sheepfoot Lane to the car park with Tarky and Winchester shortly after 2pm and guessed then he wasn't in the 16. While I don't doubt he'd have been upset, he looked relaxed with his mates. So nothing visible in that snapshot of time.

Edited by opinions4u

Just had a flash back from the game with regards to the Bury penalty

Although it was a great save, did Chaddy the Owl put their player off???

I saw him behind the pegs as the penalty was struck and the evidence is on the official site too in a piccie...hahah :grin:

Saw him walking up Sheepfoot Lane to the car park with Tarky and Winchester shortly after 2pm and guessed then he wasn't in the 16. While I don't doubt he'd have been upset, he looked relaxed with his mates. So nothing visible in that snapshot of time.

Surely they stayed to watch the ghame ?

not a happy bunny on twitter. if he gave 100% he would be one of first names on team sheet. sadly, he doesnt.

1st half:

we didnt start in the first 10 yesterday and it cost us!

Clarkes fault for the sending off, if the goalkeeper doesnt open his mouth put the feckin ball into row z and deal with the resulting throw as a team.

2 crap goals to concede and 11 men on the pitch would have made no difference what so ever! if you dont defend crosses/ set pieces and if you are not on your toes when a cross comes into the box a striker like Bishop will punish you.

Great moment when Gerrard saved the penalty and he did well overall claiming a few crosses and the odd save, cant be blamed for either goal

after the sending off we carried on as if nothing had happened we dropped off and let them come on to us dictating play, we should have been getting in there faces...we did nothing all half and Dickov and Taggert stood there with their thumb up their arses doing nothing

Simpson looked lost in the first half as he didnt have a clue where he was supposed to be playing once we lost a man.

Kuqi should have hit the targat at the very least right after their first goal, things may have been a little different

no heart! no passion! and me well pissed off a h/t

2nd Half

first 5 -10 mins we started exactly as we had finished the first

then all of a sudden Simpson seemed realise where he should be playing we clicked and we started to dictate play a little

Furman and Taylor started to put in a proper shift and worked their asses off

they picked up th tempo and we should maybe have scored a couple

Simpsons delivery from free kicks can be excellent at times and if we hadnt snatched at the few chances we had and the ball dropped under the bar from Smith then maybe its a different result

Diamond was :censored:e from minute 1 Bishop bullied him and the megs in the 2nd half was head in hands stuff, he constanly gave the ball away and i cant help feeling Mvoto would have dealt with Bishop better, he certainly would have won the physical battle

Dickov seems to run out of ideas or doesnt know what he was going to do in the first place somtimes, Mvoto was stripped to come on then he changed his mind but what good it would have done with injury time left :censored: knows

dissapointed with the result but in last half hour we showed heart and passion

if we had shown it from minute one we could have come away with a least a point yesterday

I hope you learn from it Mr Dickov!

oh and what does Taggert do on the sidline nowdays beside order brews?.......

I thought Clark was to blame for both of their goals today. He was too hesitant for the first one, he should've completely cleared the ball and he lost Bishop for the second. Very poor decision-making.

Mellor needs to be dropped at left back as well. The opposition have targeted him every time over the last half dozen games and it has always caused us trouble. He seems to have quality going forward but he's not a left back.....

I agree with you Dan, that Clarke was at fault for both goals, but I have to say I think he has been our most consistent centre half this season, with M'Voto and Diamond absolutely all over the place far too often for my liking. If/when Tarky is fit, I'd put him in alongside Clarke and if that fails I'd go with Tarky & M'Voto.

And just a side point on Bishop - I thought he led with the elbow every time he went up for the ball yesterday - I can belive they referee didn't pick him up for this!

Should have taken Adeyemi off after the sending off, I thought he was anonymous.

Diamond had an absolute stinker, way too slow and miles off the pace. Doesn't read the game well at all.

Thought Simpson and Kieron Lee were the only decent performers. Except for Paul Gerrard, who was magnificent.

The Tories in power and Paul Gerrard in goal, feels like 1992.

And here in lies the beauty of Football, that so many people can see the same game so differently.

I think the exact opposite; I thought Diamond made a difference to the defence; and was an improvement on the shaky performances we've been getting from JYM. PD has spoken after the 2 3 all draws about the side switching off at key moments. Even before I saw the starting line-up for Sat; I'd said to my Dad & my mate that I bet PD was talking about Jean there; and that Diamond would be back in the side. JYM has taken sooo long to get going this season; so much so that he actually hasn't got going yet at all. And for me, he is the stand-out for switching off, becoming mentally lazy & lethargic. I wasn't surprised in the slightest at him being dropped. Diamond was 2nd for me in terms of the MoM on Sat…………….but we all see it differently don't we??

Simpson was outstanding, he gave us ball retention where others failed, looked composed & unhurried on the ball, won almost all of his aerial battles, gave great delivery from his dead-balls and works his knackers off throughout. We NEED to make sure we sign him in Jan; be it on loan again or properly signed on.

On the flip side, yet again Tom Adeyami was a disappointment. I could see why PD went with taking off Luca Scapuzzi after the sending off; being the new man etc - but in hindsight; Tom A should have gone as he wasn't really on the pitch anyway. Mellor into midfield and Black to LB whilst Wes is out injured please PD.

The midfield sat deep again in the early stages allowing Bury to take the initiative, Adeyemi was like a rabbit caught in headlights and it was a major surprise to me he wasn't substituted at half time so inept was his performance.

Yes Latics were down to 10 men, but they were being outplayed before that.

As said earlier Simpson was exceptional and surely the manager must now see his rightful place is in central midfield alongside Furman.

simpson in central mid ? Is that a joke ?

And here in lies the beauty of Football, that so many people can see the same game so differently.

I think the exact opposite; I thought Diamond made a difference to the defence; and was an improvement on the shaky performances we've been getting from JYM. PD has spoken after the 2 3 all draws about the side switching off at key moments. Even before I saw the starting line-up for Sat; I'd said to my Dad & my mate that I bet PD was talking about Jean there; and that Diamond would be back in the side. JYM has taken sooo long to get going this season; so much so that he actually hasn't got going yet at all. And for me, he is the stand-out for switching off, becoming mentally lazy & lethargic. I wasn't surprised in the slightest at him being dropped. Diamond was 2nd for me in terms of the MoM on Sat…………….but we all see it differently don't we??

Simpson was outstanding, he gave us ball retention where others failed, looked composed & unhurried on the ball, won almost all of his aerial battles, gave great delivery from his dead-balls and works his knackers off throughout. We NEED to make sure we sign him in Jan; be it on loan again or properly signed on.

On the flip side, yet again Tom Adeyami was a disappointment. I could see why PD went with taking off Luca Scapuzzi after the sending off; being the new man etc - but in hindsight; Tom A should have gone as he wasn't really on the pitch anyway. Mellor into midfield and Black to LB whilst Wes is out injured please PD.

I agree with you about Diamond, he's steady in defence. He does his job well. For their penalty, if it was Diamond and Cisak instead of Clarke and Cisak, i'd bet that the ball would of been cleared into row z. Agree with you also about Simpson, and glad he proved me wrong as when Cisak was sent off i said Simpson should of been subbed of instead of Scapuzzi.

This is where beauty of football lies now regarding Adeyemi. Whilst you think he was poor, i thought different, yes he may not of done to much, but he chased all game and got stuck in a few times which he has been accused of not doing before.

Why not, he has all the required attributes ?

Not for me BP. He'd be found out very quickly in there. He's OK the odd time he finds himself there having drifted into the engine room from either wide right or from up-front, but he's no CM for me.

I like him & think he's made a difference to the side; but a CM he is not.

id be happy with simpson in the middle. physcail, combative, puts a foot in decent ability on the ball and Can pass

Razza when you say pace do you mean simpsons pace would be wasted in the middle?

For me he isnt that mobile at all its a suprise he gets played out wide cause he isnt going to outspeed many.

He has quality on the ball tho, and his set pieces are generally very good. one id want to keep hold off.

I agree Tom A is a bit of a ghost a couple of useful goals but doesnt offer enough in the middle of the park, rarely tackles and seems to be out of position a lot

On the subject of that second-half performance, Dickov says in the rarely-wrong Chron:

“It is a good gauge to look at your own fans’ reaction. We have lost 2-0 to one of our local rivals and they stayed behind to clap the players off the field."

I wonder who was the one who stayed behind?

Their first half performance was woefully short of expectations, even allowing for the sending off, but their effort in the second half couldn't be faulted and, for that reason, the end-of-game applause was deserved and I for one, was happy to join in.

As for the game itself, I would have preferred to sacrifice TA from the midfield after the penalty save and brought on another defender and pushed Mellor forward to close down the wide play that Bury enjoyed. As a manager, you sometimes have to consider the probability of defeat rather than the exptancy of victory and set your team and tactics accordingly. On this occasion, PD got it wrong (imo) and sacrificed the possibility of a 0-0 result.