GET I FORWARD!

Why we were playing a team with 10 men, and we were keeping the ball was the only thing I could hear was "FORWARD" "GET IT FORWARD" - "NOT SIDEWAYS, WHATS THE :censored:ING POINT??"

The same voices were saying this, in the build up to the goal - I said "thats good" when we kept it and someone shouted "Its not good its :censored:ing crap"... we kept it and scored.

What people watch is beyond me.

Pukka, I know you by sight in the main stand paddock. There's an old guy (65+) who sits behind me and this is all he ever says:

"get it forward"

"that's the game"

If they don't do that, then we must be rubbish...

He just moans. Even when we're playing well, keeping posession isn't good enough, we've got to "get it forward".

I like a defender who isn't scared to put it out of play if that's all all he can do, yet this chimp behind me expects us to pass our way out of every defensive situation.

Muppet.

Edited by TafkaN

Why we were playing a team with 10 men, and we were keeping the ball was the only thing I could hear was "FORWARD" "GET IT FORWARD" - "NOT SIDEWAYS, WHATS THE :censored:ING POINT??"

The same voices were saying this, in the build up to the goal - I said "thats good" when we kept it and someone shouted "Its not good its :censored:ing crap"... we kept it and scored.

Thought exactly the same thing.. against 10 men and winning, just keep possession and tire them out but the mainstand upper wanted it forward and where boo'ing if we didnt. Complete idiots

This is why I can't sit in the Main stand. If you do you go home depressed every week or having an argument!

On the bright side, they weren't far different in the Chaddy End either.

I thought we played it very well spreading it from side to side tiring them out. Alright some of the balls by the centrebacks could have been a bit more 'gifted', but that is why they are centrebacks and not Pele.

So I'm not the only one?

If we have possession then the other team can't score or have I missed something? If we are passing the ball around, stretching the other team and playing our football in their half then we are doing well in my book. Reminds me of a team from the 80s, played in red, had a lot of success, maintained possession alot, wore their opponents down and come from Liverpool...

I'd rather they do this than have a speculative shot that hits a defender's backside and leads to them breaking up our end of the pitch and having a chance.

We look composed on the ball with runners breaking from their man to give options, around the box we get a bit squeezed as the opponents have had to have all 11 (or 10) men back to defend but I'll happily watch us doing this for the rest of the season.

Second half we tried to do what Bury did to us.

Move it from wing to wing, patient build-up and keep possession, stretching them and tiring them. Very difficult for 10 men to play against.

I don't think we did it particularly well to be honest, but it was effective enough to win the game.

I do think there were occasions where we should have taken opportunities to turn that possession into something a little more aggressive, but when we did nobody wanted to shoot anyway!

Pukka, I know you by sight in the main stand paddock. There's an old guy (65+) who sits behind me and this is all he ever says:

"get it forward"

"that's the game"

If they don't do that, then we must be rubbish...

He just moans. Even when we're playing well, keeping posession isn't good enough, we've got to "get it forward".

I like a defender who isn't scared to put it out of play if that's all all he can do, yet this chimp behind me expects us to pass our way out of every defensive situation.

Muppet.

Yeah I sit in the paddock - RRE side if my dad goes and chaddy end side if he doesn't.

Last night really frustrated me, I just found the comments much worse than usual.

I said this the other week that people always seem to yell it, even my Dad. I think it's a generation thing, most people follow the game from the era when they started watching, hence why a lot of fans believe rigid 4-4-2 to be the only formation we play, when in fact if you pay closer attention it switches throughout the game (especially if Morais is on the pitch)

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Good to see people on this thread actually understand the game. I was impressed last night how we maintained possession and how were patient in our build up and waited for the opening we didn't panic and just got it forward like some of the thicko's in the mainstand upper were suggesting we do. Because we kept possesion so well we controlled the game we wore Southend down and eventually got a break through the goal must have come as a result of a 30 pass move. Bit of patience goes along way sometimes.

Playing devil's advocate, the only times Southend looked like coming close in the second half last night were when we were fannying around at the back, suicide balls between defenders, or shanked crossfield passes into touch. I'm fully behind the 'keep the ball' philosophy, but there's a time and a place. Whilst Clarke, Diamond and Black aren't the worst defenders we've ever had with the ball at their feet, sometimes they just need to get rid of the bloody thing, even if it means lumping it forward. Far better that than gifting the opponents a chance in a game where they weren't having a sniff.

Its something I've come to realise sitting in the Mainstand, you just have to bite your toungue because its where the village idiots sit. They hate long balls but hate to see the side pass it even more, I heard one person yell "this is rubbish Dickov." Last night was the right way to play it was obvious IMO that the players were nervous, keeping hold of the ball calmed them. I think that may also explain why the players didn't shoot when they should of, apart from Kuqi who never shoots straight away.

I know it wasn't a great game but I actually thought we played well last night, given the conditions.

There are quite a few morons in the main stand lower. These people expect opposition teams (even Sheff Wed) to roll over die - don't they realise they will do everything they can to stop us playing, even with 10 men?

its about getting the balance right of when to play and when to pump it in the channel when in trouble, i thought we did it fantasically well last night

i for one am happy we have a manager who wants to play the game the right way and players who can put that into action, i remember hudds last year at our place when we won 1-0 they just lumped long balls all day was food and drink to m'voto and rubes

we won the game and we won it the right way pushing the full backs on in 2nd period, our gaffer was clever enough to realise we could utilise the space and tire them with keep ball, sorry we didnt go gung ho and draw 4-4 and go out on pens

some people are idiots and never happy

Some idiots in Main Upper last night. Asking why we got all eleven back when they have 10 etc.

Last night by keeping possession was the way to do it, but the players didn't half annoy when when we was on edge of their box and nobody would friggin shoot after Taylor got his goal!