Ok, so we are set to have bag loads of money

imo we should use the bulk of this to tie dickov down to a proper contract instead of this rolling thing he has going on

Brian Talbot beat Man City, he got "fired" less than 3 months later. If we had offered him an extended contract with the money we earned it would have cost us more to get rid of him. The rolling contract whilst leaving us vulnerable to loosing out more if someone else comes in for the management team also means we don't have to pay them more if things go tits up.

This money we are going to earn from playing Liverpool is not going to go to offering the management a new deal its going to go towards paying off our debts this season and possibly towards giving a little bit extra to our valuable players who are out of contract this season.

Managerial contracts ain't worth sh!t.

I vote spend it on not going bankrupt.

I completeley agree, sad fact is that the net amount will not make much of an impression on the debt, so defaintely some on keeping the core of this squad together as "investment".

I am never one for throwing money at the sqaud for promotion or bust), so just a little bit of it, say an extra players worth (that'll be all of it !!)

I think SC can see that though.

See the club right for another season and look to offer suitable deals for the (soon to be) out of contract players:

Furman

Wesolowski

Lee

Cisak

Kuqi

Parker

Taylor

Black

And in that order or near as damm it too IMO

If Simpson can be signed up again on loan too for the rest of the season, all the better

See the club right for another season and look to offer suitable deals for the (soon to be) out of contract players:

Furman

Wesolowski

Lee

Cisak

Kuqi

Parker

Taylor

Black

If Simpson can be signed up again on loan too for the rest of the season, all the better

Cisak has another year after this season - signed a two-year deal.

Furman

Wesolowski

Lee

Cisak

Kuqi

Parker

Taylor

Black

So you'd sign Parker a player we've seen about 4 times in a latics shirt who hasn't scored yet for us before you'd sign a player who just scored a goal that is worth £200k to us?

I agree, Furman, Wes and KL are priorities. Taylor will be a luxury, but not a necessity. Kuqi will do as he wants so it remains to be seen if we can keep hold! I'm pretty confident we'll be able to get Simmo on a free - I can't imagine he'd be allowed to train with us if Hudds are then expecting a fee, they'll be aware of our financial situation and they seem happy enough with him off their wage bill.

Ah - thought it was only M'Voto who got a 2 year deal? Bonus if Alex is here anothrr season.

Beegs - i'll explain my reasoning. I dont believe we will be able to offer Chris Taylor a suitable deal to keep him here. He'll be over the compo age and so is a genuine 'free' transfer. Its. Wellens situation all over again IMO, someone will be able to offer a considerably better signing on fee and match or better our wage offer - i dont blame the lad in the slightest but its a short career and IMO he should chase the better financial deal.

So, with that in mind i'd prefer us to focus elsewhere; tying down others as a priority.

It wasnt a Taylor bash - maybe i should have posted my reasoning in the above post?

Oh - and admit it, even though its only 4 views; Josh Parker looks bloody mustard doesn't he?????? ;-)

Ah - thought it was only M'Voto who got a 2 year deal? Bonus if Alex is here anothrr season.

Beegs - i'll explain my reasoning. I dont believe we will be able to offer Chris Taylor a suitable deal to keep him here. He'll be over the compo age and so is a genuine 'free' transfer. Its. Wellens situation all over again IMO, someone will be able to offer a considerably better signing on fee and match or better our wage offer - i dont blame the lad in the slightest but its a short career and IMO he should chase the better financial deal.

So, with that in mind i'd prefer us to focus elsewhere; tying down others as a priority.

It wasnt a Taylor bash - maybe i should have posted my reasoning in the above post?

Oh - and admit it, even though its only 4 views; Josh Parker looks bloody mustard doesn't he?????? ;-)

All valid points, thanks for the explanation and it does make sense. I would say that with Taylor's allegiances to Latics the cash value of a deal may be lower than if he wasn't a tic. The chances of him jumping ship to a Doncaster are lower than Wellens but I would still move heaven and earth to re-sign him, he has not developed into the player that we may have expected him to, he is more than that now. He didn't become a get to the byline then whip it in, a right sided Rick Holden, he learnt a new position in the full glare of the spotlight (4000 fans, spotlight, sheesh, who am I trying to kid :lol: ). He has become a "forward", he can play anywhere across the front and that gives us a hell of a lot of flexibility, he also takes opposition players out of the game, most managers tell their lads to keep tight on him, it is just that we haven't had the other players to take advantage of this until now.

What he also brings to the dressing room is continuity and what Latics means, what we're about and you can't put a price on that. He gets slagged off on here for diving, falling, moaning, complaining at the ref and niggling but all he is doing is what each and everyone of us would do if we got picked for that first team, trying to get Latics 3 points.

I guess this is just a long winded way of saying that I would have him higher up your list, I think he is a very important player to us and we need to make more effort to re-sign him.

As for Parker, he does look good so far, not seen an end product yet but I've liked the way we've had Luca and Parker stood on the halfway line when we're defending, lump it long to one of those two and rely on their pace and trickery and we should get something, even if it is only relieving the pressure on the defence.

Alternatively

Blow the lot on whisky and whores.

Has a lot of merit too.

All valid points, thanks for the explanation and it does make sense. I would say that with Taylor's allegiances to Latics the cash value of a deal may be lower than if he wasn't a tic. The chances of him jumping ship to a Doncaster are lower than Wellens but I would still move heaven and earth to re-sign him, he has not developed into the player that we may have expected him to, he is more than that now. He didn't become a get to the byline then whip it in, a right sided Rick Holden, he learnt a new position in the full glare of the spotlight (4000 fans, spotlight, sheesh, who am I trying to kid :lol: ). He has become a "forward", he can play anywhere across the front and that gives us a hell of a lot of flexibility, he also takes opposition players out of the game, most managers tell their lads to keep tight on him, it is just that we haven't had the other players to take advantage of this until now.

What he also brings to the dressing room is continuity and what Latics means, what we're about and you can't put a price on that. He gets slagged off on here for diving, falling, moaning, complaining at the ref and niggling but all he is doing is what each and everyone of us would do if we got picked for that first team, trying to get Latics 3 points.

I guess this is just a long winded way of saying that I would have him higher up your list, I think he is a very important player to us and we need to make more effort to re-sign him.

As for Parker, he does look good so far, not seen an end product yet but I've liked the way we've had Luca and Parker stood on the halfway line when we're defending, lump it long to one of those two and rely on their pace and trickery and we should get something, even if it is only relieving the pressure on the defence.

Alternatively

Has a lot of merit too.

We're on the same page then - it's just I've gone into my pessamistic Latics mindset & you haven't.

I rate Taylor; I really do and I would love it if he signed up again. It's just that I feel he'll (or more to the point, his agent will) be looking at this time in his career differently to what he has done previously. IIRC he signed a 5 year deal last time; and he was a teenager when he did that. He's now a 24 year old man with 200 games under his belt and is in a totally different position.

I hope we offer a good deal & he signs it. But, just like any player - I don't want the club held to ransom, and if it appears taylor is looking at his options away from Latics; I'd prefer the club to focus elsewhere in that instance - namely on Furman, Wesolowski & Lee (would have included Cisak but thanks to Stevie I now know he's on board for another year)....then the others further down my list.

Anyway, in summary - Taylor rocks & gingers are cool! :wink:

Yup, Alex is here for another season thankfully. If he was a free then it may of been a year and then option of further year, but since we had to pay compo for him, made sense for us to get him down for two years.

Regarding Taylor......

In the words of many a scout (well 1 recently anyway!!) who have watched Taylor over the last few years (and there have been a few!!).....

"There's something missing with this lad - he flatters to deceive!"

Maybe hence no sale in recent transfer windows

As for loads of money - Nahhhh But enough to keep the wolves from SC's door for a few more months i'd have thought.

Think Taylor may well choose to go somewhere else if we (as ss very likely) are still in League One.

Can see him getting a shot at a higher division or at worst at a club with the money to mount a serious chance of getting out of this one.

If he bows out by helping us win a trophy for the first time in 20 years then it would be a great thing - don't think anyone can complain about his commitment to the club.