Liverpool Tickets

I'm yet to hear a convincing method for ensuring the 'real fans' don't lose out. Simply because there are no criteria for being a 'real fan'; it's a very loose term.

Clearly the season ticket holders are the most deserving, of that there is no debate, because most importantly those people have clear and easily accessible evidence of their status.

After that the waters are muddied somewhat. Let's take the programme voucher scheme as an example:

A season ticket holder buys programmes and gives the tokens to his Man U supporting mate who wants to go to Anfield. How are the club supposed to prevent this happening?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a point around the timescale to sell tickets.

If we draw with Liverpool there will be only 7 or 8 days to do this after the police have dictated segregation.

3 or 4 levels of prioritisation could make that very messy.

Nothing is perfect. But anything between season tickets and open sale should drive up income for the club.

18 pages of moaning & complaining.......

Everyone knew the system on allocation, everyone was aware of the dates & numbers of tickets being allowed to the various groups.

Yet we have the 'i've been a fan for 40 years & i havent got a ticket'......i go to all the games home & away but i havent got a ticket'

Waw wah waw.

Everyone knew the system in advance, if you didnt get one - you didnt try hard enough

As for 'day-trippers' getting tickets ahead of "real fans"; just exactly what was the club suppose to do? A Latics stats & history quiz prior to every purchase??

Move on. Go in the Liverpool end. Listen on the radio or watch the updstes online but FFS; get over it

I think most are over it.

But it's worth discussing:

1) is there a fairer way next time

2) can the 4 hour wait be speeded up

3) what other revenue can be generated by this sort of opportunity

1. I would suggest a voucher system I know everyone has already said it but I am going to say it again a system in which a card/book can be purchased at the beginning of the season with a set amount of criteria example: 5 home games, 3 Cat A Games......... and when a fan uses the turnstile to enter BP they can give their card/book and get it stamped (Or possible have an ID number on the card that can be wrote down although this may take more time) and this would show that you have been to the criteria amount of games then when tickets go on sale these people can be behind ST holders but before open sale.

2) Like someone said on the forum a few days ago use turnstiles in the RRE because its best covered for bad weather.

3) Put a small purchase price on the purchase of these tickets/books at beginning of the season so the club gets some extra money

Edited by TheBlueFlag

18 pages of moaning & complaining.......

Everyone knew the system on allocation, everyone was aware of the dates & numbers of tickets being allowed to the various groups.

Yet we have the 'i've been a fan for 40 years & i havent got a ticket'......i go to all the games home & away but i havent got a ticket'

Waw wah waw.

Everyone knew the system in advance, if you didnt get one - you didnt try hard enough

As for 'day-trippers' getting tickets ahead of "real fans"; just exactly what was the club suppose to do? A Latics stats & history quiz prior to every purchase??

Move on. Go in the Liverpool end. Listen on the radio or watch the updstes online but FFS; get over it

Got any spares? I was too lazy to queue.

1. I would suggest a voucher system I know everyone has already said it but I am going to say it again a system in which a card/book can be purchased at the beginning of the season with a set amount of criteria example: 5 home games, 3 Cat A Games......... and when a fan uses the turnstile to enter BP they can give their card/book and get it stamped (Or possible have an ID number on the card that can be wrote down although this may take more time) and this would show that you have been to the criteria amount of games then when tickets go on sale these people can be behind ST holders but before open sale.

Two blokes, let's call them Frank and Alan.

Frank's been paying on the gate every game for 40 years. Whilst it's more expensive, he takes pride in the fact the club earn more out of him than if he got a season ticket. In July, he was sent to South Africa on a six month secondment, meaning he'd unfortunately miss half of the season. He's back in time for Christmas, catches the Boxing Day game and fancies grabbing himself a Liverpool ticket when they go on open sale.

Alan moved to Oldham from Inverness in July. Grabs himself one of these books as he fancies a bit of a football fix now and then on a Saturday. By coincidence, he just about hits the criteria stated. Rocks up after the ST holders have had their fill and bags himself a ticket to Anfield.

Who deserves the ticket?

Also, are these books being sold on the off-chance we make it to the FA Cup third round and get drawn away at a top Premier League side?

I think most are over it.

But it's worth discussing:

1) is there a fairer way next time

2) can the 4 hour wait be speeded up

3) what other revenue can be generated by this sort of opportunity

1. ST Holders first, programme tokens next (or simply stubs).

2. I don't mind the four hours. I mind the rain a bit, since everyone could have been under the RRE. I also reckon the turnstile idea could be looked at.

3. This is also to do with 1. I reckon you could increase revenue with a membership scheme. I don't think it's that difficult or expensive to administer. I'd suggest something I've been thinking about for a while - a time bank. Someone who does this sort of thing for a living could donate the time to help the club.

I'm also not sure about PlayerShare being used as the vehicle for prioritisation - hence the idea of a membership scheme.

Two blokes, let's call them Frank and Alan.

Frank's been paying on the gate every game for 40 years. Whilst it's more expensive, he takes pride in the fact the club earn more out of him than if he got a season ticket. In July, he was sent to South Africa on a six month secondment, meaning he'd unfortunately miss half of the season. He's back in time for Christmas, catches the Boxing Day game and fancies grabbing himself a Liverpool ticket when they go on open sale.

Alan moved to Oldham from Inverness in July. Grabs himself one of these books as he fancies a bit of a football fix now and then on a Saturday. By coincidence, he just about hits the criteria stated. Rocks up after the ST holders have had their fill and bags himself a ticket to Anfield.

Who deserves the ticket?

Also, are these books being sold on the off-chance we make it to the FA Cup third round and get drawn away at a top Premier League side?

Its only an idea I don't really think there is any true way you can get around this problem because what ever is made someone else is going to have an issue with it but I think this would help the problem of day trippers getting their hands on tickets as if they want to go to the big games such as liverpool they would have to come to home games as well which is helping to bring in fans. For Alan he would just have to wait to open sale or if the tickets were sold 2 per person with book ask one of them.

Premier league sides such as liverpool have these sort of priority systems in place because of the high demands for away games.

Its only an idea I don't really think there is any true way you can get around this problem because what ever is made someone else is going to have an issue with it but I think this would help the problem of day trippers getting their hands on tickets as if they want to go to the big games such as liverpool they would have to come to home games as well which is helping to bring in fans.

For all intents and purposes, Alan's a "daytripper". He's only been to five games!

For Alan he would just have to wait to open sale or if the tickets were sold 2 per person with book ask one of them.

But he's got one of these books. Therefore he can get a ticket. But he's only been to five games! Poor Frank's handed over thousands during his time watching Latics, but due to his circumstances he's having to play the lottery of open sale.

Premier league sides such as liverpool have these sort of priority systems in place because of the high demands for away games.

Liverpool et al have high demand because they're playing in the Premier League. Hence these priority systems.

We have high demand once every millennia.

You make valid points

For all intents and purposes, Alan's a "daytripper". He's only been to five games!

If Alan had only been to 5 games it would be much better than non if he is paying money into the club. Think about the amount of 'day trippers' going to liverpool and at least if they had come to 5 games each how much more money they would of generated and the larger crowds.

+ a lot of these day trippers wouldn't of bothered to put up with rain, cold, destroyed stands and what ever else for 5 games just to come to liverpool so more loyal fans would be in the line up to come.

+ We have only had 5 games between the 3rd round draw and the match at home (CUP: 1 was JPT and other FA Cup replay) so these fans would have to be coming to games before they knew we were playing liverpool

Edited by TheBlueFlag

We're moving away from the point slightly, ie. that it's an administrative nightmare trying to gauge who 'deserves' tickets. Let's change the scenario ever so slightly:

Frank's never paid on the gate before, he's always had a season ticket, but the secondment happens and he doesn't renew. Alan decides he's going to get a season ticket despite never having been before. Which one deserves first dibs?

We're moving away from the point slightly, ie. that it's an administrative nightmare trying to gauge who 'deserves' tickets. Let's change the scenario ever so slightly:

Frank's never paid on the gate before, he's always had a season ticket, but the secondment happens and he doesn't renew. Alan decides he's going to get a season ticket despite never having been before. Which one deserves first dibs?

That's the thing its nearly impossible to satisfy everyone without some electronic database which we cannot afford if we had an electric database we could have people registered to it and then it could show us each person statistics e.g. how many season tickets they have had, games been to, years registered... and allow oldest members and most loyal the first dibs on tickets.

Anyone want to pay for this system??

But bringing this is now would mean it wouldn't be that applicable for a few years till the statistics start to show

Edited by TheBlueFlag

Seriously, this is getting weird now.

This is probably about the 3rd time in 15yrs where we have had a situation where lots of Latics fans have missed out on tickets to an away match.

Lock this :censored: down.

but without electronic turnstiles how would we record games that each fan goes to unless they went to the ticket office before ever game causing ques and not everyone would want to do that.

When i use to work on turnstiles Barry Owen did say if Failsworth went through the club was seriously looking into using them.

No amount of "technology" will be worth the installation, it's not worth discussing for these simple facts - These sort of events happen too infrequently and the ticket sales structure satisfies the club as it is: season ticket holders get first dibs, first come first served after that. It's an open market, believe in whichever teamaking fairytale you wish, the upshot of it all is that the club couldn't give a rats ass who buys them.

No amount of "technology" will be worth the installation, it's not worth discussing for these simple facts - These sort of events happen too infrequently and the ticket sales structure satisfies the club as it is: season ticket holders get first dibs, first come first served after that. It's an open market, believe in whichever teamaking fairytale you wish, the upshot of it all is that the club couldn't give a rats ass who buys them.

There's always one who comes along and ruins it for the others by posting FACT :grin:

rummytheowl, on 02 January 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Wonder how many season ticket holders will be at Chesterfield today ?