BBC Highlights - Chesterfield

Watching that again confirms my suspicions that it was definately a red for their lad as he stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

It also seems that their penalty was very soft.

I think Morais should have gone for the far post with his effort but what a great strike from Simmo!!!

If we attack like that 2nd leg we will beat Chesterfield!

The main thing that strikes me is the Latics defending both for the goal and the free header 6 yards out just before it.

Absolutely none existant defending, the same player just strolls into the 6 yard box totally unmarked.

I don't think it was a sending off for the Kuqi penalty as there were other players around in very close proximity for me.

Their penalty was soft to say the least.

If Kuqi scores the penalty we come away with a draw and job done.

Thing is, I can see why the ref gave it. Tarkowski's getting turned inside out and makes a bit of a desperate lunge to get the ball. It's the faintest of nicks, and if the ref isn't perfectly placed it's looking like a poorly timed challenge.

Are we zonal marking cos no :censored:er is near any of their players when they are attacking?! Players scared to make a tackle? Lee at right back, Black/Mellor at left back please.

Tarky reminded me of how Dean Holden used to defend. Wasn't a pen but he certainly got himself into trouble there.

Thing is, I can see why the ref gave it. Tarkowski's getting turned inside out and makes a bit of a desperate lunge to get the ball. It's the faintest of nicks, and if the ref isn't perfectly placed it's looking like a poorly timed challenge.

It wasn't the cleanest challenge but it was bloody obvious it wasn't a pen.

No way should it have been a red card for the foul on Kuqi. The other defender would have got across to him.

Great strike from Simpson and some shocking defending from Latics.

It wasn't the cleanest challenge but it was bloody obvious it wasn't a pen.

No way should it have been a red card for the foul on Kuqi. The other defender would have got across to him.

Great strike from Simpson and some shocking defending from Latics.

Agreed about the pen. Tark got the ball , you can see it moving forward, and Lester then went down. Was on the bus back to Chesterfield station after the match, Chesterfield fans laighing about the incident and how Lester basically fell down.

Their first goal came from Wes messing about with the ball on the halfway line, losing possession and then we were exposed. Though why there was no tracking back to cover the guy who scored was poor.

Shame the highlights missed the two headers kicked off the line (Mvoto in first half, Kuqi in second) and Adeyemis shot which Lee just managed to save.

Anyway, even if we'd drawn we'd still have needed to win at BP and am still confident that we'll score two goals.

Watching that again confirms my suspicions that it was definately a red for their lad as he stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

It also seems that their penalty was very soft.

I think Morais should have gone for the far post with his effort but what a great strike from Simmo!!!

If we attack like that 2nd leg we will beat Chesterfield!

I think Morais should have gone for the far post with his effort

what a craking goal that would have been , if it had gone in.

Agreed about the pen. Tark got the ball , you can see it moving forward, and Lester then went down. Was on the bus back to Chesterfield station after the match, Chesterfield fans laighing about the incident and how Lester basically fell down.

Their first goal came from Wes messing about with the ball on the halfway line, losing possession and then we were exposed. Though why there was no tracking back to cover the guy who scored was poor.

Shame the highlights missed the two headers kicked off the line (Mvoto in first half, Kuqi in second) and Adeyemis shot which Lee just managed to save.

Anyway, even if we'd drawn we'd still have needed to win at BP and am still confident that we'll score two goals.

And it's just as bad for the first half chance on those highlights.

And it's just as bad for the first half chance on those highlights.

Yes. And I think shows the downside of playing Parker at RB. He is fast and ok when facing the ball but doesn't have the defender's mindset of getting in front of a forward, blocking him off etc.

I actually dont think its a sending off as their was a covering defender.

THeir pen was soft as it was foul on the our def first and then he actually won the ball first and Lester fell over.

Covering defender means nothing, its a red card for stopping a goal scoring opportunity.

Just had a look at the rule..............

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Shame the highlights missed ... Adeyemis shot which Lee just managed to save.

At Anfield Adeyemi had a great oppurtunity to score, but went for power and blasted it over the bar. This time he chose correctly to pass his shot goalwards, but it was well-saved. He's learning and hopefully it'll be third time lucky.

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Doesnt say anything about a red card in that statement. If there is a chance another defender can still get to the rescue then its not a red Im afraid.

...And definitely wasn't a pen. Never in a million years. Sick to :censored:ing death of players going down like a sack of :censored: in the area and the refs seemingly incapable of telling the difference between a a foul and a cheat........

A selection of quotes From the Chesterfield Fans' Forum:

From where i was in the East stand it didnt look like a pen though. Dont know what folk in the South stand thought.

Their player won the ball as clean as a whistle.

It looked a fair tackle from the Kop but then they didn't put up too much of an objection.

is that sarcasm? the oldhm players went barmy.

Never a pen

if i could see it wasn't a pen from the other half of the pitch how the hell did the ref think it was!

It was the only clean tackle on Jack all night. I think the ref blew so often to enable him to catch up with play. He didn't look fit to me.

Have not seen the highlights but if our penalty was a fowl i'll eat one of my hats.

You've covered yourself quite nicely there as there is no way our penalty would have actually been a turkey or a chicken.

As poor as the ref was, the two major decisions both went our way (Thompson could have walked for pulling Kuqi back and JL's didn't look like a penalty).For me, those two massive decisions far outweigh any wrong throw in/foul/time added on decisions he made against us.

Wasn't a red. And definitely wasn't a pen. Never in a million years. Sick to :censored:ing death of players going down like a sack of :censored: in the area and the refs seemingly incapable of telling the difference between a a foul and a cheat........

I agree it wasn't a red card but if you're going to criticise Lester for going down cheaply, then take a look at how easily 'strong as an ox' Shefki gets spun around when his arm is grabbed. This has always been part of the game and we're not likely see any change in the future.

I also believe that their penalty was the correct decision. Although Tarkowski gets a decent toe on the ball, as it ricochets back off the on running Lester he inexplicably raises his foot, clipping Lester's leg in the process. I'm sure that on reflection, Tarkowski will wish that he'd put the same tackle in 10 yards further up the pitch, rather than backing off into the penalty area.

Simmo can really :censored: 'em though can't he?!

I agree it wasn't a red card but if you're going to criticise Lester for going down cheaply, then take a look at how easily 'strong as an ox' Shefki gets spun around when his arm is grabbed. This has always been part of the game and we're not likely see any change in the future.

I also believe that their penalty was the correct decision. Although Tarkowski gets a decent toe on the ball, as it ricochets back off the on running Lester he inexplicably raises his foot, clipping Lester's leg in the process. I'm sure that on reflection, Tarkowski will wish that he'd put the same tackle in 10 yards further up the pitch, rather than backing off into the penalty area.

The difference being that it was a foul on Kuqi. It wasn't in Lester's case.

There's a difference between going down from a foul and going down under a nothing challenge!

Pen would have had to have been a 'careless' tackle - that is that he 'showed a lack of attention or consideration when making the challenge'. Never in a million years was that a pen, for me.