chaddy end roof

I know we are skint, but what would be the cost if replacing the chaddy roof with something like the rre has? With all the metal in the old roof surely there has to be some scrap value in there, plus whoever build the new roof could have their name splashed all over it for advertising. Maybe some sort of roof fund? Thoughts please.

I know we are skint, but what would be the cost if replacing the chaddy roof with something like the rre has? With all the metal in the old roof surely there has to be some scrap value in there, plus whoever build the new roof could have their name splashed all over it for advertising. Maybe some sort of roof fund? Thoughts please.

A couple of things

1) Selling anything at the moment, let alone advertising, is as hard as selling ice cream to eskimos.

2) Is there really any point in building a new roof when the stand underneath needs replacing too?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

If and when the chaddy gets renovated,I cannot see them ripping up the existing concrete and the seats, a far as I can tell its the sides and roof that are knackered. And I meant that whoever did the roof could get the advertising on as payment or part payment for renovating it. I suppose there's no chance until the new main stand is done. and its gone awfully quiet about the new stand, no mention of it since October.

If and when the chaddy gets renovated,I cannot see them ripping up the existing concrete and the seats, a far as I can tell its the sides and roof that are knackered. And I meant that whoever did the roof could get the advertising on as payment or part payment for renovating it. I suppose there's no chance until the new main stand is done. and its gone awfully quiet about the new stand, no mention of it since October.

Don;t get me wrong. Knowing the 'do things on the cheap' mentality of the club, it would not surprise me if a 'rennovation' was opted for. However what is this doing apart from papering over the cracks? Can any of the older fans confirm in the late 80/s early 90's when the chaddy became an all seater whether it was demolished and completely rebuilt, or whether it just had seats bolted on (if the legroom is anything to go by I would guess the latter)

My point is there is no point in spending good money on stuff like roof/seats ext when the foundations supporting all that are woefully inadequate and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Guess so. Not sure what's under it, maybe knackered I don't know, but when it was said the chaddy will be redone as part of the renovations, I cannot remember if it was said it would be rebuilt from scratch or not, if the foundations are sound then maybe it would be just the sides\roof plus some surrounding structure that would be done

From what I remember, the old roof was removed, and the framework sandblasted and repainted, then a new roof was installed. New casing was also put on the back of the stand, unlike in the good old days when it was full of holes.

As someone mentioned earlier, two thirds was concrete terracing, and the back part was old sleepers which really used to flex when the place was packed, and people usewd to stamp on them.

The old terracing was removed, and I think preformed concrete slabs replaced them.

But, I was told when all of that was done that the expected lifespan of the stand was only 10 years, and 20 years later it's still standing.

I also remember that when the Rochdale Road terracing was removed, the concrete terracing was laid on ash which was sold to a company in Bury. And the foundations there were deep enough to allow a further tier on top of the existing stand.

Why would the chaddy need completely rebuilding? If you go round the back of the stand the concrete isn't in bad condition. At quick glance without really paying a huge amount of attention to it, I can't recall any flaking, major cracking, exposure of rebar etc. Same goes for the steps on the inside. The current design of the chaddy's main structure minus the roof could easily be used as part of a renovated stadium. It just depends on the scale of the new design.

I'm sure I heard/read that AH has managed to 'blag' H&S for a few years over that roof - due to the cost of replacing it.

2+2 is equaling 4 for me at the minute. Clayton gone, paddock gone, scoreboard gone, chaddy roof going.......

No news AT ALL on the refurb of BP, no money to spend, ground falling to bits, no cup run, no wembley and no promotion........mmmmm what will next year bring!

Why would the chaddy need completely rebuilding? If you go round the back of the stand the concrete isn't in bad condition. At quick glance without really paying a huge amount of attention to it, I can't recall any flaking, major cracking, exposure of rebar etc. Same goes for the steps on the inside. The current design of the chaddy's main structure minus the roof could easily be used as part of a renovated stadium. It just depends on the scale of the new design.

as was said earlier, because the stand is over 20 years old and even then the expected lifespan was only 10.

Can't paper over the cracks forever.