Dickov Out!

Agree with a lot of that but I don't want him out.

I'm convinced another manager could be getting more out of these players though.

If we get much nearer to the drop and crowds get any worse I'd imagine Corney will be thinking the same.

If he's still here next season I just want to see us keep as many of the team together as possible - as said in another thread stability could be the biggest issue.

New left back, new midfielder, keep as many of them as possible, Dickov learns from his mistakes and we could have a very good season next year.

All these comments about the budget etc.. well, our league position is about right based on that, however, shouldn't any managers remit be for us to punch above our weight?

I still don't think the playoffs (or relegation) are beyond us yet. :unsure:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think the playoffs (or relegation) are beyond us yet. :unsure:

Neither will happen. There's some :censored:e in this league and Oldham are part of that Axis of :censored:, however Oldham are not as :censored: as some of the others.

i think sacking himwould be the wrong thing to do. we need consistency and with the budget we have hes doing a good job. however with the players we have, the likes of kuqi,wes, furman, simpson, mvoto, cisak and lee we should be higher up the table. we should probably be talking about a realistic push for the playoffs. he is inexperianced so you have to give himsome leeway but at the same time he needs to start learning from his mistakes and pretty fast. the most common being him seemingly wanting us to get to 60 minutes in the lead and then sit back and defend. were not good enough to defend for long periods and colchesters goal was inevitable last night as soon as we started inviting pressure. yet this seems to be his plan more times than not. the few games this season we have gone out and attack for long periods we have looked really good and the opposition doesnt know what to do with us however this rarely happens. most of the time we attack for the last ten minutes in a hopeless attempt to rescue a game that we should have won long before. its decisions like taking off KMB on tuesday that wind people up. that was a negative move an resulted in negative football and ultimatly throwing away two points again. dickov certainly has potential to be a very good manager and at times shows that with the type of football we play but he needs to find more consistency inhis team, stop making the same mistakes and find the teams strengths and work with them instead of focusing on weaknesses. positivity promotes positivity

So we sack him, and give his job to someone else with no experience and little track record to speak of? That's an absolutely genius idea!

Or the alternative, we sack him and replace him with some other mediocre lower league manager. Martin Allen or some such :censored:e. Both are just pointless, sideways steps. Keep him, give him time, let him build. There's not enough patience in football these days.

i think sacking himwould be the wrong thing to do. we need consistency and with the budget we have hes doing a good job. however with the players we have, the likes of kuqi,wes, furman, simpson, mvoto, cisak and lee we should be higher up the table. we should probably be talking about a realistic push for the playoffs. he is inexperianced so you have to give himsome leeway but at the same time he needs to start learning from his mistakes and pretty fast. the most common being him seemingly wanting us to get to 60 minutes in the lead and then sit back and defend. were not good enough to defend for long periods and colchesters goal was inevitable last night as soon as we started inviting pressure. yet this seems to be his plan more times than not. the few games this season we have gone out and attack for long periods we have looked really good and the opposition doesnt know what to do with us however this rarely happens. most of the time we attack for the last ten minutes in a hopeless attempt to rescue a game that we should have won long before. its decisions like taking off KMB on tuesday that wind people up. that was a negative move an resulted in negative football and ultimatly throwing away two points again. dickov certainly has potential to be a very good manager and at times shows that with the type of football we play but he needs to find more consistency inhis team, stop making the same mistakes and find the teams strengths and work with them instead of focusing on weaknesses. positivity promotes positivity

Mvoto until Christmas was in and out of the team, Furman and Wes have barely played 15 games together so injuries apart we may have been higher but a play off push given our lack of depth is well wide of the mark. Higher bottom half is punching above our weight IMO but like the previous 8 seasons under the present ownership we've had a decent first xi but when injuries and suspensions bite there's very little in reserve. I agree that our lack of stamina from 60 minutes onwards is a BIG issue that needs addressing as is Dickov's inability to make a telling substitution

Mvoto until Christmas was in and out of the team, Furman and Wes have barely played 15 games together so injuries apart we may have been higher but a play off push given our lack of depth is well wide of the mark. Higher bottom half is punching above our weight IMO but like the previous 8 seasons under the present ownership we've had a decent first xi but when injuries and suspensions bite there's very little in reserve. I agree that our lack of stamina from 60 minutes onwards is a BIG issue that needs addressing as is Dickov's inability to make a telling substitution

Having a quick look through last night's programme his most telling unenforced substitutions have either been Smith (Scunny away; Charlton away) or Phil (Notts County home; Charlton away). Last season IIRC his telling substitutions evolved around sending big Jean up front (see Smith this season) or when he chucked Feeney on away at Accy in the cup.

Other managers have done better than him regularly around subs (most recently last night).

Being able to make changes appropriately is a positive skill for a manager to have, but if you pick the right side every time the changes you make should have little effect (positive or negative). Dickov at the moment doesn't do either with enough consistency. I'm a big fan of having a core of players and picking the most appropriate side to expose the oppositions weaknesses whilst ensuring we have the quality required and not being as rigid with style or personnel as our management team is (but then again that may just be me).

There's also a few not even amateur enough to be an amateur footballer, yet consider themselves as a sort of authority on the game.

As for Champ manager - pfffff

Do you mean like former school teacher Gerard Houllier and shoe salesman Arrigo Sacchi ?

Also Jose Mourinho, Sven Goran Eriksson, Felipe Scolari, Andre Villas Boas and Avram Grant to name but a few who hardly shone as footballers themselves. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

Dickov's inability to make a telling substitution

for me this is were we need an older more experianced assistant manager. someone who can give him a nudge an say no not right now or how about give him a go might open the game up a bit more. just soe one with a bit of nous about hi who can help with changing a game

I take it most of you are on about me.

What I will say about Dickov is that he has assembled a good squad and attracted some high quality footballers to the club. However, to say he has had no money is a bit wide of the mark : Kuqi will be on a fair whack, Simpson won't have come cheap, nor would Wesolowski, Diamond and Mvoto. Adding on that we actually paid a fee for the keeper : none of that sounds like a club in financial crisis. Fair play to Corney, he has backed all his managers and put his hand in his pocket (Windass, Colbeck, Furman, Cisak immediately come to mind).

Dickov had a decent honeymoon period of Aug-Dec 2010 and since then, give or take the odd game, we have been toss. Utter toss. Not much better than served up by Dave Penis.

The players are of better quality than to be languishing in 16th place in L1. The likes of Cisak, Furman, Adeyemi (when he turns up), Wes, Taylor, Kuqi, Simpson, Lee and Mvoto are all very good L1 players, some, IMO, can and will play at a higher level. I've lost count of the amount of times we have been comfortable in a game and end up clinging on to a point or, ultimately, losing the game.

I've resigned myself to the fact that he won't be sacked, but all I hope for is that another club come and take him off our hands. As for his replacement, Dux. No hesitation for me. Knows the club, served his 'YTS' in coaching terms and, looking at our dugout, seems to be the only one to actually do any coaching. Taggart is too busy sipping his brew (although, positively, thats changed the last couple of games), Dickov is too busy arguing with the 4th official and Paul Butler is just copying everything that Dickov does (Yes boss, no boss, 3 bags full boss).

Still, he's not Dave Penney.

Keep it Latics.

A well thought out post Lee, however Dux seems less prominent now on the bench, who was that giving what seemed to be pages of play book instructions to Tarkowski after Colchester brought on a substitute ?

Edited by BP1960

for me this is were we need an older more experianced assistant manager. someone who can give him a nudge an say no not right now or how about give him a go might open the game up a bit more. just soe one with a bit of nous about hi who can help with changing a game

wouldn't/shouldn't such a person be the actual manager?

wouldn't/shouldn't such a person be the actual manager?

if that was the case were would the new managers come from? lennie lawrence does it at crystal palace now helping out dougie freeman and im sure cardiff have an experienced man helping mackay. it wouldnt be the first time its happened anywhere would it. could work wonders

if that was the case were would the new managers come from? lennie lawrence does it at crystal palace now helping out dougie freeman and im sure cardiff have an experienced man helping mackay. it wouldnt be the first time its happened anywhere would it. could work wonders

can you bring someone like that into an existing set up though?

in hindsight he should have gone for an older head instead of Taggart.

difficult to bring someone in now - "here's your new assistant manager lads. he knows more than Gerry did and more than me"

The assistant has to be PD's choice he clearly feels he works well with him, I don't see how we can comment on someone's coaching abilities when we aren't on the training ground with them. He gives out a lot of instructions to the players during a match, and one question to whoever it said Duxbury for manager.

If PD is failing then Duxbury has to take some blame doesn't he? He is in the set-up and can bring something new, you might argue he does but it doesn't get listened to but if so then why he is at the club? If PD doesn't listen to him then why wouldn't he bring someone new in? Wanting rid of Dickov is one thing but thinking that Duxbury is the answer is downright strange.

I take it most of you are on about me.

What I will say about Dickov is that he has assembled a good squad and attracted some high quality footballers to the club. However, to say he has had no money is a bit wide of the mark : Kuqi will be on a fair whack, Simpson won't have come cheap, nor would Wesolowski, Diamond and Mvoto. Adding on that we actually paid a fee for the keeper : none of that sounds like a club in financial crisis. Fair play to Corney, he has backed all his managers and put his hand in his pocket (Windass, Colbeck, Furman, Cisak immediately come to mind).

Dickov had a decent honeymoon period of Aug-Dec 2010 and since then, give or take the odd game, we have been toss. Utter toss. Not much better than served up by Dave Penis.

The players are of better quality than to be languishing in 16th place in L1. The likes of Cisak, Furman, Adeyemi (when he turns up), Wes, Taylor, Kuqi, Simpson, Lee and Mvoto are all very good L1 players, some, IMO, can and will play at a higher level. I've lost count of the amount of times we have been comfortable in a game and end up clinging on to a point or, ultimately, losing the game.

That's hardly a squad. With the resources we've got he's managed to convince a couple of decent players to come to us. If he'd been able to build a good squad I think we'd have a better centre-midfield partnership of, with respect to them, Winchester and Adeyemi at the moment. I think he's also being let down by Kuqi, arguably his biggest signing, who's performances and temperament recently have been Conference standard rather than Premier League.

We're not playing to our best at the moment, but still picking up points. The fact that we know we can perform to a higher standard than recent performances suggest I think is a credit to Dickov. We know what a Dickov side can do at their best - to suggest sacking him while the team is not at full strength yet still getting results is a bit of a joke, really.

Edited by JoeP

One of the areas for concern for me is the number of inept 2nd half performances we put in.

When the opposition manager has rejigged his side at ht......we regularly look lost and don't seem to be able to adapt to a change of tactics.

I'd stick with him and hope he learns as he goes along.....he's still a relatively new young manager.

That last post from Lee Sinnott is about right.

We are punching below the level that we should be given some of the players we have, and we have chucked in some awful performances in key games.

I am also suspicious about the comments on our budget.

But what you would say is that Dickov has brought a bit of pride back to the club which isn't a small achievement. Plus he is stuck with a small squad and we've been unlucky with some injuries to key personnel.

Happy with what he's done thus far, but not unequivocal in praise for everything he's achieved.

That last post from Lee Sinnott is about right.

We are punching below the level that we should be given some of the players we have, and we have chucked in some awful performances in key games.

I am also suspicious about the comments on our budget.

But what you would say is that Dickov has brought a bit of pride back to the club which isn't a small achievement. Plus he is stuck with a small squad and we've been unlucky with some injuries to key personnel.

Happy with what he's done thus far, but not unequivocal in praise for everything he's achieved.

My thoughts exactly.