Golden Ticket

Well, the 'Golden Ticket' promo has finished....success or failure?

1 win, 1 draw, 3 defeats, and only 4 home goals scored......statistics wise it's been a bloody disaster.

To me it has just confirmed how poor we really are, yes, we have had our share of injuries but at the business end of the pitch we still can't score for toffee!!!

Are we really that bad or is it down to our tactics and coaches??

What home attendance will we have against Charlton?

Their last memory is of this drivel tonight , weather improving , more daylight , they won't pay full price for this rubbish & I don't blame them.

Yep, i wouldn;t expect many if any of the new recruits to come back in a hurry.

ah for the good old days when people used to wait around the chaddy end for the gates to open 10mins before the end so they could grab 10mins for free.

mind you its 1980's im talking about and it was only £1.50 to stand up in the chaddy!

Didnt go tonight but am i suprised? am i feck.

Success in terms of getting people into the ground for these historically poorly-attended fixtures.

Failure due to the fact it probably lost revenue within that time.

Failure regarding the results which is the main ingredient in retaining those extra fans for the future.

March Madness: The measure of its success | Pine Villains http://bit.ly/GYTGwb

In the 5 games covered by the golden ticket crowds have undoubtedly been up, so in that respect it has been a success.

On the down side the football we have produced in these games has been generally pretty poor, culminating in last nights piss poor effort.

I don't think we have done too much to entice many of the extras back at full price.

The measure for me wont be the Charlton game but the next home game after as the gate v Charlton will prob be 4000+ x £23 an adult as they are the runaway leaders and will prob bring 750+ fans

As for sucess or failure I would say if we acheive only 100 fans of those to come back and buy a ST or attended double the amout of games this season before the golden ticket then its a sucess surely?

I still think for the standard we watch and as my poll on another thread shows we have voted so far our own stadia the worst in the league £23 an adult v Charlton is a joke, I will pay it as I just wont go Sheff Wed as its on TV but had Wednesday had not been I may have gone there as never been before

The thing is we won 2 out the last 3 games had they had been the two home games as opposed to 1 home and 1 away win would the crowds still have increased drimatically?......Probably not if im honest

Positive: Crowds of over 4000 for games which would have probably had a sub 3000 attendance otherwise

Negative: Not a single attendance over 5000, only 1 win from 5, taken a pretty big hit on revenue for what?

If anything, I think the attendances over the past five home games have more or less confirmed that price is not the main reason why the people are not attending the games.

If anything, I think the attendances over the past five home games have more or less confirmed that price is not the main reason why the people are not attending the games.

Totally agree.

The fall in crowds from £23 to £15 games earlier in the season confirms this.

But many will use "price change" as an excuse to stop coming, even though the reasons are probably different.

TTA have delivered 8 years of demolition and no investment in the infrastructure at Latics. They may have plugged the financial hole during that time, but I think they've made that hole far bigger than it ever needed to be.

Brought my cousin who turned to the dark side (scum) full on a couple of seasons after Prem relegation to last nights game. He also came to the Liverpool game and despite two losses he's enjoyed both and says he'll come to a few more games. I think it was because he doesn't usually get to scream at the officials at utd as they never get any bad decisions Fergie has that covered anyway. He pointed out that even if he could get a ticket there it's about £51 and it would be for the crapper matches anyway. I think if it was around £15 he might come to a few more matches, but he was still happy enough with the night and had two meal deals the greedy bugger!

The offer did increase attendances at the matches ,against what they would probably have been , so you could say a small success.....BUT the fayre served up in the 5 games was drab on the whole with terrible results and will have negated what little success was achieved.

I mean, come on, we played 5 very average sides against whom you could reasonably have expected to have collected 3 pts from.

We acually won ONE and lost THREE!....So it has to be a failure for me. I applaud SC's initiative but the team let him and the fans down and i fear we're back to square one.

We got a few extra in to showcase the side but left them disappointed as usual.

If people wanted top notch free flowing football then they wouldn't be watching League One football.

I had been to two home league games (Dale, Sheffield U) prior to the offer this season. Other than that I had attended cup home games (Bradford, Southend, Chesterfield) and other away games (Charlton, Liverpool, Chesterfield JPT, Preston, Carlisle). The reason I haven't gone to many home games in the league is largely cost. Not necessarily because the cost is extortionate - it is expensive but I would manage it if I wanted to go to the games - I just don't think it's worth it relative to other things I would rather spend my money on. The overall experience is not great at BP and that's why I will largely pay out for games which capture my attention - cup runs and the 'big games' in the league.

I enjoyed all five games. We played well in one (Bournemouth), OKish in two (Col U and Scunthorpe) and garbage in two (Yeovil and Orient). I enjoy watching Oldham and the golden ticket has reminded me of that. I left last night thinking that I would enjoy having a season ticket, simply because I enjoy going to watch Oldham Athletic. It's in my blood, regardless of how :censored: they are, I still enjoy going to watch them. My sixteen year old sister (who has been coming to watch us every now and then since the days of Penney) said the same thing as we left - she still had a great time last night.

The issue for me is a personal one - as much as I enjoy it I don't currently have enough disposable income to warrant spending that on getting a season ticket/watching more regularly at home. The balance at the moment isn't there. If the tickets were cheaper, maybe. If I earned more money, maybe. If the matchday experience was better, maybe. But at the moment it isn't for me, though I do think if my circumstances were different the golden ticket could have swayed me. It may yet have swayed some others.

For what it's worth I don't anticipate going again this season to BP. I will be at Bury. I don't know if that means anything...

Edited by jsslatic

Chairman let down even more than the fans.

I've got a season ticket, wont be attending again this season. Look at the home results and goals scored, dross. Had arranged to get one with my mate who's not had one for years next season but we've both decided against it now.

I was sad enough to check, 21 shots on target in 5 games, the away sides managed more. About 4 a game against teams we should have the beating of at home.

No entertainment, no interest in paying to watch it. Don't mind being :censored:e at all as long as there is some entertainment.

100% failure.

Granted we had more people at the games than would probably have otherwise been the case but....

.... 1 win (& a lucky one at that), 3 defeats (deservedly) & one goalless draw.

.... atmosphere (especially last night) reflected the performance (dismal)- better to have 100 noisy excited fans than 1000 bored silent ones

.... financially we must have lost money

.... effect on ST holders - are they going to fork out for next season knowing that the cut-price offers will be made?

I note that a recent article in the Chron had a go at the pesimistic attitude of fans (I assume they were referring to many of the contributors on this site) but let's face it, we are facing a massive struggle to stand still let alone improve. Without a substantial investment, the club's future must be in doubt.

If I'm honest, I don't really see the point in these offers.

£2 to get in, Friend for a Fiver, Family deals, etc all may have shown a modicum of success in boosting the gates temporarily, but as soon as the deals finish, you can bet that crowds will drop again.

These deals should be pushed when there's something worth watching, so the club can say to the casual fan "look how we've changed".

Doing these schemes at the moment is pointless because people will turn up, see the team and ground are still sh*t and be in no mind to return.

Plus, as has been said previously, these deals probably actually lose us revenue.

That said - credit to Corney for doing it. Right idea, just wrong time in my opinion.

Edited by JoeP

If I'm honest, I don't really see the point in these offers.

£2 to get in, Friend for a Fiver, Family deals, etc all may have shown a modicum of success in boosting the gates temporarily, but as soon as the deals finish, you can bet that crowds will drop again.

These deals should be pushed when there's something worth watching, so the club can say to the casual fan "look how we've changed".

Doing these schemes at the moment is pointless because people will turn up, see the team and ground are still sh*t and be in no mind to return.

Plus, as has been said previously, these deals probably actually lose us revenue.

Whilst i'm no lover of Simon Corney, he's at least bit the bullet and tried to do something about potentially sub 3,000 crowds. The lapsed fans and some stayaways were attracted back to a point only to see a bitty performance in a 1-1 draw with Col U. A failure to finish off an average Scunthorpe side, but generally a good performance. A bore, crap performance at home to Yeovil, a battling win v Bournemouth and an end of season snorefest last night. If I was Corney i'd be carpeting Dickov and the players this morning asking for an explanation. "I take a :censored:ing hit, and you lot can't be arsed? Four goals in five :censored:ing games is hardly going to bring the fans in is it?"

I'd give them all it with both barrels, they deserve it. I was worried about losing certain players at the end of the season, last night I had an Epiphany, I'm not arsed who leaves, none of them are expendable and that includes the manager. Harsh but as Ritchie proved you can get by with kids and old men, if you have a real go. This lot we have now think they're better than they are including the management and coaches and have underachieved - against the lesser lights of the division, certainly the attacking players and one or two of the others think they have made it despite making the same mistake every week. Most of which have the ability to walk into any of the teams from 4th downwards in this league, but don't want to do the basics. This is why many will be scratching round to make a living within a couple of years. From the Prem down, teams want, work, work, work….

Edited by oafcprozac

This has been my first season following Latics and having been to a few away games and the majority of home games thus far. I decided to bring my uncle along who had only been to 1 match since the old stand had been knocked down (Chesterfield cup game), though a regular for around 20 years before that. Last night he said that he wasn't interested in coming back because the football was "diabolical". He had bought tickets for the Chaddy end with the idea that it would have some atmosphere in it too after the ultras experiment in the Chesterfield match brought some life back. There was no atmosphere there for any of the matches. So both the viewing experience of the atmosphere and the play on the pitch was lacking in his opinion and mine too, though I will continue to attend all home and some away games before the end of the season. I expect almost all fans have thought the same as him over the past 5 matches and that's why I think that there will be very few post-Golden Ticket extra attendees.

There seems to be an idea that the people who bought golden tickets are 'new' fans. I don't buy that, more likely that most of the people who bought golden tickets are people who pay on the day throughout the season, and probably tend to come more when we're playing well. They'll be back....when we start playing well.

I'm sure when SC introduced the Golden Ticket he rightly expected us to win at least 4 of the 5 and this would have propelled us up the league giving us a shout at the playoffs. He would also have expected the crowds to get larger for each game and maybe nearly 6000 for the Bournemouth game. The gate against Charlton may also have been over 5000. Unfortunately its all backfired on him. The seasons now over and home gates will probably be between 2000 and 2500. Had the team not let him and us down it would have been a great success.

It just shows how he public of Oldham couldn't care less about the club when they won't come and watch a game for £3.

I'm sure when SC introduced the Golden Ticket he rightly expected us to win at least 4 of the 5 and this would have propelled us up the league giving us a shout at the playoffs. He would also have expected the crowds to get larger for each game and maybe nearly 6000 for the Bournemouth game. The gate against Charlton may also have been over 5000. Unfortunately its all backfired on him. The seasons now over and home gates will probably be between 2000 and 2500. Had the team not let him and us down it would have been a great success.

It just shows how he public of Oldham couldn't care less about the club when they won't come and watch a game for £3.

All it proves to me is that the product on show is not appealing enough to lapsed fans and that cost is not the main factor.

Over 6000 went to Anfield paying in excess of £20 + travel costs...give them something to shout about and they will return, we are on a downward spiral and have been for years with no sign of any improvement whatsoever, that's the main reason people are staying away!!