Should Paul Dickov be Latics manager

382 members have voted

1. 1. NOW: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE ONE: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE TWO: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's one.

...we should be able to still play that style of football; but with better players doing it now. So, why aren't we? It worked then - with a higher calibre of player; it'd worked again; maybe even better than it did then???

It's just one of those things there is no answer for. Such as why have Simpson's set plays turned into :censored:e now and before Xmas every one looked like it would lead to a goal?

I voted yes x3. On the basis that our sacking-too-soon policy has led us down this path. And now, with :censored: all money could easily put us right in with the bottom four. We're always treading water, never been quite bad enough to go down. I can see it happening with a risky appointment.

I have it on good authority he is managing us for literally next to nothing. I have a feeling that even if we wanted to, we couldn't afford to get rid and appoint someone else. Personally though, I want him here and honestly believe he could be a top manager with some cash.

I don't know why we have to be so emphatic about these questions. Dickov is great or :censored:e, never something in between.

How's this?

I like PD, he took over the job in difficult circumstances after the DP era - its easy to forget how desperate that time was. We try and play proper football, and up to a point in both seasons we have managed it.

Where you would criticise PD would be that with good players two years running we have fallen away very badly - usually when our strikers experience a total goal drought. Maybe teams work us out?

We have now failed to get out of this league for over a decade, but there will not have been many occasions where we have been so far below my expectations. We have good players who have underperformed. PD has undoubtedly made mistakes that have compounded this.

But shouldn't we expect that from a guy in his second year in the job?

I don't know why we have to be so emphatic about these questions. Dickov is great or :censored:e, never something in between.

How's this?

I like PD, he took over the job in difficult circumstances after the DP era - its easy to forget how desperate that time was. We try and play proper football, and up to a point in both seasons we have managed it.

Where you would criticise PD would be that with good players two years running we have fallen away very badly - usually when our strikers experience a total goal drought. Maybe teams work us out?

We have now failed to get out of this league for over a decade, but there will not have been many occasions where we have been so far below my expectations. We have good players who have underperformed. PD has undoubtedly made mistakes that have compounded this.

Agree - two years in - he should be given more time - but...

if we get another season like this one then he should walk... if only for my health :shock:

How's this?

I would expect a manager not to make the same mistakes in Season Two as in Season One.

Also, he is constantly showing his is tactially inept. Simpson plays best upfront, in the hole, yet he plays him on the left wing with 'a license to roam inside' which therefore leaves Diallo alone against the two right sided players on oppo team. It doesn't take a genius to see we constantly get taken apart on the left side even when we had someone there has tracks back every and doesn't have a license to roam inside, yet we now basically leave our left back isolated half the time and no width on the left.

How's this?

Because he seems to be great in the first half of the season and :censored:e in the second part of it.

Teams work us out, because we're so predictable.

I like Dickov too but, as time goes on, the good players he signs don't seem to want to play for him.

Ah well, vital point today and we should stay up. Dickov has the summer to think of a plan B and plan C for games, otherwise I think we could be in big trouble next year, whichever division we're in...

The comments under that article is the dictionary definition of mongfest. Christ, it gets bad on here at times but the comments on the Chron's latics pages really do take it to another level.

In response to comments made on there, the community poll continues and the sample gets bigger.

In response to comments made on there, the community poll continues and the sample gets bigger.

The comments about the poll not being a representative view of fans due to sample size are simply wrong.

There are 50 million people eligible to vote in elections and a typical opinion poll talks to 1,000 of them. Such polls do get remarkably close to accurate, despite the opportunity for people to lie. So 300+ votes is getting up towards around 10% of the typical home gate - I think that's quite a reasonable sample size. Indeed, the sample size was already c200 the morning the Chron report appeared. Yes, the 90% who aren't involved may have a completely different view, but my understanding of statistics and analyisis suggest this is highly unlikely.

Yes, internet polls do have inherent difficulties in that people can open multiple accounts and vote multiple times, but do you really think anybody could be arsed enough for what is, in the great scheme of things, trivial. Doubtless there are other ways you can attack the site if you really wanted to, but I don't think there's any evidence of this happening. The vast majority of people registered with owtb are genuine Oldham Athletic fans.

Maybe the question was loaded. If it was "Should Paul Dickov be sacked?" maybe people would have responded more emotively. But I do think the question is worded fairly to give people the opportunity to consider the outcomes of change properly.

So a reasonable conclusion to draw is that Dickov still retains the goodwill of a significant majority of fans, even given the starkness of the third question. In many ways he is lucky. Performances haven't been as good as they should have been and my own view is that he has lacked something tactically, which has previously been covered up by an energy and passion from the team that is no longer evident. But fans don't want the manager changing at this point in time.

Things can change quickly in football and opinions can change too. The same questions asked again in 6 months time could see a completely different outcome.

But, for now, despite losing too many games towards the end of the season, I think Corney, for many different reasons, would be bonkers to axe Dickov.

Edited by opinions4u

If you count those responding on the Internet as being representative of the overall fan base, then your 95% confidence interval gives you +/- 2.3 to 2.4 depending on whether you think there are 5k oldham fans or everyone in the World is an Oldham fan (so 92.0% to 96.6%). The numbers are fairly strong, add to that that the percentage in favour is near an extremity (i.e. close to 100%) and the chances of moving away from this are very slim.

On the other side of the coin, the people who use 'puters are young and wealthy. The poor or the coffin dodgers may have a vastly different opinion as a sub-section of the Oldham fanship. This will not really be heard as strongly if it is the case.

28.57 win percentage, this will drop to 28.26 on Saturday and to come out and say the team did well yesterday is delusion. Some of the crap he has spouted recently about performances has been on a par with Moore, Talbot and Penney. I know we need continuity at the football club, but at what price? How have we improved over the last two years? Serious question? We still can't score, we still have too many players that are simply not good enough, too many loanees and a frankly boring system of play.

Dickov will be starting from scratch again next season, and he'll make exactly the same mistakes as he is simply a poor, poor manager. He was very clever getting us all onside early doors, this bought him valuable time and patience during the run of 2 wins in 22 from February to August. This time we've endured 5 wins in 26 games, he should be getting more out of HIS squad.