England squad

I'd have had Carrick and Micah Richards in there.

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Disappointed not to have got a spot myself. Downing picked ahead of me.

The only reason I can think that Downing is going is that he is the only winger we have who is left footed but I would have taken Sturridge over him as we are taking 4 strikers and Sturridge can play wide or up top yet we have 3 players who can play wide left in Young, Milner and Oxlade Chamberlain. Crouch should have gone over Carroll aswell.

There's been a lot of fuss about Rio not being picked, some eejits on Sky Sports News were saying that its for non-footballing reasons, that is BS for me. He has only picked 3 CBs and Jones, Rio has not been better than Cahill or Lescott this season and, whilst I wouldn't have picked him, he hasn't been as good as Terry either.

I'm surprised he's only gone with 4 forwards but Walcott, Young, Gerrard and the Ox could all play as a forward if necessary.

Like many I wouldn't have picked Downing and would have picked Richards. I'm not sure who I would have picked instead of Downing probably Sturridge but I'd have picked Richards instead of Johnson.

Butland has been chosen as Stand-by GK as he's one for the future. In some ways it won't matter as the only way we will get out of our group is if Joe Hart plays all the games.

The odds have got to be pretty decent that we loose someone to injury before the tournament starts though.

Richards will have to be upset with that.

Could understand if they left him out for Walker.

He is a better player than Johnson.

Might be looking at a move as he isn't playing enough.

Quick £21m transfer will see us right.

The only reason I can think that Downing is going is that he is the only winger we have who is left footed but I would have taken Sturridge over him as we are taking 4 strikers and Sturridge can play wide or up top yet we have 3 players who can play wide left in Young, Milner and Oxlade Chamberlain. Crouch should have gone over Carroll aswell.

Scores one of the goals of the season against the Premiership Champions, yet isn't even on standby. Has also played less games than Carroll yet scored more goals. Bit of a joke, really..

Holt should also have been picked ahead of Carroll.

Also wouldn't have picked Terry ("innocent until proven guilty" etc. aside, I bet there are a lot of people who don't feel comfortable offering their support to him). Hasn't Jones also been highlighted on MOTD a couple of times as putting in some stinker performances, particularly going forward?

Generally, a completely dull selection - thought with Capello gone, we might have a few interesting additions. The only one that's interesting is Downing, but not in a good way. The victory over Sweden in the friendly showed glimpses of excitement - can't see this lot producing any interesting football at all. We'll be home before the postcards.

Edited by JoeP

TBH I prefer Carroll over Crouch and definately over Holt, if I were taking one big striker then Carroll would be the one.

Not really any big surprises, Richards will be disappointed and I would definately have taken him for his versatility as well as preferring him to Johnson.

Downing is there entirely on the basis of being our only left footed wide player IMO, would have been Sturridge in his place for me.

Pleased to see Oxlade-Chamberlain in there, definately one for the future.

Edited by Hometownclub

Like most others on here, I wouldn't have picked Downing who goes missing if he can't beat the full back for pace.

I would have still preferred Fedinand to Terry as the latter will now be targetted after his dumbass sending off against Barcelona. Besides that he is dogsh*t against pace and his positional sense is awful.....I've always thought his saving grace has been his performances against big, thick centre forwards (and there won't be too many of those in the Euros) where he can mix it and also the fact he puts his body on the line.

There's one donkey who seems to have escaped any criticism - I wouldn't take Gerrard either. Very interesting article about the Scousers with and without him last season, I'm sure I read a similar stat from years back, possibly enough after the CL season when everyone was sucking his sausage. And he's a prick.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool

Like most others on here, I wouldn't have picked Downing who goes missing if he can't beat the full back for pace.

I would have still preferred Fedinand to Terry as the latter will now be targetted after his dumbass sending off against Barcelona. Besides that he is dogsh*t against pace and his positional sense is awful.....I've always thought his saving grace has been his performances against big, thick centre forwards (and there won't be too many of those in the Euros) where he can mix it and also the fact he puts his body on the line.

Terry's a complete bell end. But, if we're going to do well at this tournament, I think he'll be a big part of it. For my money, he's the best defender we've got.

One selection I've not seen questioned at all is Welbeck. He works like a trojan, no question, but I'm still not totally convinced of his quality.

On another board I post to there was a thread where each poster could nominate one player to swap out and one to swap in. This is what the squad ended up being (a couple of the choices down to what the injury speculation was at the time):

Carson

Hart

Ruddy

Baines

Cole, A

Richards, M

Walker

Cahill, G

Lescott

Jagielka

Terry

Barry

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Jarvis

Lampard

Sinclair

Carrick

Young

Hooper

Defoe

Sturridge

Welbeck

Rooney
Edited by Crusoe

Terry's a complete bell end. But, if we're going to do well at this tournament, I think he'll be a big part of it. For my money, he's the best defender we've got.

One selection I've not seen questioned at all is Welbeck. He works like a trojan, no question, but I'm still not totally convinced of his quality.

+1.........If you're only taking 4 strikers then i'm not sure he'd be one of my choices, still got a lot to prove imo.